Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 611 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
sidagar wrote:
could not understand how to approach this question and how to eliminate.In option A how " but" can be connected with the rest of the sentence- if it is a independent clause where is the subject

The subject of the clause after "but" is "Ramanujan" and the verb of this clause is "was" (the second clause is "Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London").

The phrase "thanks to Hardy's recognition" is a adverbial modifier referring to the clause "Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London" (precisely the verb "was").

Shouldn't the adverbial modifier be separated by comma pair?

,but , thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanu [#permalink]
in option a why is there a 'but ' in the sentence ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Ayush, basically the sentence is trying to suggest that Ramanujam sent his theorems to three different British mathematicians; while out of the three, only one recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but that was fine (even if all three didn't recognize the brilliance of these theorems), for this one recognition led to Ramanujan's election to the Royal Society of London.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
Send PM
but is a conjunction and a contrast as well. So they have used but.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Send PM
Is use of "but" correct in the Answer Choice A. "but" is usually meant to represent some contrasting statement, but that is not happening here. Can you please correct my understanding with the use of "but"?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
thecoronafever wrote:
Is use of "but" correct in the Answer Choice A. "but" is usually meant to represent some contrasting statement, but that is not happening here. Can you please correct my understanding with the use of "but"?

Hi! You might want to refer to this post.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Hi! I want to make sure I am correctly understanding the proper sentence correction rules for the entire part following the semicolon (the ";only one...London" part").

To me, this sentence appears to be a run-on/or I am not understanding the modifiers here. How can you have a comma after the "but thanks to Hardy's recognition"? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
A vs C
Option C: "only one" cannot refer to clear meaning. Only one theoram was brilliant or only one mathematician Hardy recognise?
Option A: contrast word "But" and "only one" gives the intent meaning.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [1]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Ok I did go for A as others were quite wrong , but where is the full bonafide verb for subject G.H. Hardy ? Recognized does not work as the verb as there is a , in front of the subject of new I.C. G.H. Hardy.

only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

Highlighted is IC i dont care about.

Only one is a modifier so removed it. Now G.H. Hardy is the main subject of this IC ... But there is a comma after this so can recognized work as a verb ?????

Should it not be :

only one, G. H. Hardy recognized the brilliance of these theorems, blah

Also funny :D when i typed this on word document , i got suggested G.H Hardy recognized . Why is that ? Is GMAT creating its own english language. Tagging experts

VeritasKarishma GMATGuruNY
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Ok I did go for A as others were quite wrong , but where is the full bonafide verb for subject G.H. Hardy ? Recognized does not work as the verb as there is a , in front of the subject of new I.C. G.H. Hardy.

only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

Only one is a modifier so removed it. Now G.H. Hardy is the main subject of this IC ... But there is a comma after this so can recognized work as a verb ?????

The statement in red is incorrect: only one is not a modifier but is the SUBJECT.

An APPOSITIVE is a noun or noun phrase that serves to explain or define another noun or noun phrase.
OA: The mathematician mailed his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems.
Here, the portion in blue is an appositive for only one, conveying that ONLY ONE = G.H. HARDY.
An appositive is a NONESSENTIAL MODIFIER.
If we remove from A the nonessential modifier in blue, we get:
The mathematician mailed his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one recognized the brilliance of these theorems.
In the green portion:
only one = subject
recognized = verb
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Dear Experts,
In the correct option, "(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but", what is the significance of "But"?
Since there is no contrast won't it be correct to use a "and" instead?

As per my understanding, in its original form the meaning suggests that "even though Hardy recognized the brilliance of the theorems, Ramanujan was elected to RSL".

Kindly help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
rocky620 wrote:
Dear Experts,
In the correct option, "(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but", what is the significance of "But"?
Since there is no contrast won't it be correct to use a "and" instead?

As per my understanding, in its original form the meaning suggests that "even though Hardy recognized the brilliance of the theorems, Ramanujan was elected to RSL".

Kindly help.

Hi

The "but" here contrasts with "only one" appearing earlier in the clause. While Ramanujan has sent his theorems to 3 mathematicians, that only one of them recognized the brilliance would suggest that Ramanujan was not immediately widely accepted.

The sentence intends to say: Even though only one of the three, GH Hardy, recognized the brilliance of the theorems, his recognition was enough to get Ramanujan elected to RSL.

Hope this clarifies.
GMATGuruNY wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

The statement in red is incorrect: only one is not a modifier but is the SUBJECT.

An APPOSITIVE is a noun or noun phrase that serves to explain or define another noun or noun phrase.
OA: The mathematician mailed his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems.
Here, the portion in blue is an appositive for only one, conveying that ONLY ONE = G.H. HARDY.
The mathematician mailed his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one recognized the brilliance of these theorems.
In the green portion:
only one = subject
recognized = verb

Hello GMATGuruNY,
When I was reading the whole thread, I was thinking to ask the following question with new comment without quoting anyone's post, but you already discussed some sorta things with ShankSouljaBoi 's post. ShankSouljaBoi's post helps me to ask my query with quoting your last comment in this thread.
Quote:
A) In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

What if the choice A is something like below?

In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians-Mr. X, Mr. Y, and Mr. G. H. Hardy; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to his recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

In this sentence, the bold part is the inserted part.
You said that if we remove the highlighted part, the meaning will not be changed. I think so as it is not the essential modifier; it is just an appositive. Here is my silly question :) : if we insert the bold part and remove the highlighted part, then how do we know that only one=Mr. G. H. Hardy?
Thanks in advanced..

Originally posted by TheUltimateWinner on 30 Jan 2021, 10:21.
Last edited by TheUltimateWinner on 30 Jan 2021, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

In the green portion:
only one = subject
recognized = verb

Hello GMATGuruNY,
When I was reading the whole thread, I was thinking to ask the following question with new comment without quoting anyone's post, but you already discussed some sorta things with ShankSouljaBoi 's post. ShankSouljaBoi's post helps me to ask my query with quoting your last comment in this thread.
Quote:
A) In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

What if the choice A is something like below?

In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians-Mr. X, Mr. Y, and Mr. G. H. Hardy; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

In this sentence, the bold part is the inserted part.
You said that if we remove the highlighted part, the meaning will not be changed. I think so as it is not the essential modifier; it is just an appositive. Here is my silly question :) : if we insert the bold part and remove the highlighted part, then how do we know that only one=Mr. G. H. Hardy?
Thanks in advanced..

The phrase "Thanks to Hardy's recognition" should clear that up.
Brian123 wrote:

Brian123
I've edited the question-replaced Hurdy's with his
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Brian123 wrote:

Brian123
I've edited the question-replaced Hurdy's with his

In that scenario, I don't believe you can tell who actually recognized the brilliance of these theorems.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
In 1913, the largely self-taught Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan mailed 120 of his theorems to three different British mathematicians; only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but thanks to Hardy's recognition, Ramanujan was eventually elected to the Royal Society of London.

(A) only one, G. H. Hardy, recognized the brilliance of these theorems, but
Correct

(B) they were brilliant, G. H. Hardy alone recognized, but
'they' is supposed to refer to the theorems, but its ambiguous b/c 'three different British mathematicians' are in the sentence...so they could be referring to them...

(C) these theorems were brilliant, but only one, G. H. Hardy recognized;
This sentence seems wordy/not concise. I didn't see any obvious flaw in it besides style...

(D) but, only one G. H. Hardy, recognizing their brilliance,
"only one" is awkward and perhaps redundant...there is no need to single out Hardy since there were likely few if any other mathematicians named G.H. Hardy...
"their" is ambiguous

(E) only one G. H. Hardy recognized, but these theorems were brilliant
Same issue with 'only one'...no comma like A) makes it seem as though there is only one G.H. Hardy.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts