Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618587 [199]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [41]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [15]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [5]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Re: Sammy: For my arthritis, I am going to try my aunt's diet: large amoun [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Question Type: Resolve the Paradox

Argument Analysis: Two contrasting remedial evidences are provided for the condition of arthritis. We have to find a reason that explains why the both can be true at the same time.

A. A change in diet, regardless of the nature of the change, frequently brings temporary relief from arthritis symptoms. Incorrect. The key word here is "frequently", hence this may or may not be true in certain cases.

B. The compounds in garlic that can lessen the symptoms of arthritis are also present in tomatoes and peppers. - Incorrect. Does not explain the discrepancy, as removal of tomatoes & peppers has shown to lessen the arthritis

C. Arthritis is a chronic condition whose symptoms improve and worsen from time to time without regard to diet. - Correct. If Arthritis by its nature itself is a condition that aggravates or alleviates, then diet is irrelevant.

D. In general, men are more likely to have their arthritis symptoms alleviated by avoiding vegetables in the nightshade family than are women. Incorrect. The term, "in general" which is not all inclusive, hence may or may not be true in Pat's brothers case.

E. People who are closely related are more likely to experience the same result from adopting a particular diet than are people who are unrelated. Incorrect. Out scope, we do not know whether they are related.

Answer C.

Thanks,
GyM

Originally posted by GyMrAT on 21 Jun 2018, 00:45.
Last edited by GyMrAT on 21 Jun 2018, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: Mays '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
Re: Sammy: For my arthritis, I am going to try my aunt's diet: large amoun [#permalink]
Kudos
I have a doubt on choice C as it says that arthritis gets worse overtime, however, we can infer from the stimulus that both Sammy’s aunt and Pat’s brother improved the condition sometimes, Pat’s brother even got worse at first, then improved at the same time he gave up on the vegetable, and that means choice C goes against the stimulus, hence it’s wrong.
Can someone clarify this ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AlfredNguyen wrote:
I have a doubt on choice C as it says that arthritis gets worse overtime, however, we can infer from the stimulus that both Sammy’s aunt and Pat’s brother improved the condition sometimes, Pat’s brother even got worse at first, then improved at the same time he gave up on the vegetable, and that means choice C goes against the stimulus, hence it’s wrong.
Can someone clarify this ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

The portion in red mischaracterizes the meaning of the OA.
from time to time = sometimes.
OA: Arthritis is a chronic condition whose symptoms improve and worsen from time to time without regard to diet.
The blue portion conveys the following:
The symptoms of arthritis will SOMETIMES IMPROVE without regard to diet, and they will SOMETIMES WORSEN without regard to diet.
This information explains why the aunt and the brother responded differently to the diet of wheat germ and garlic: whereas the aunt's symptoms IMPROVED without regard to this diet, the brother's symptoms WORSENED without regard to this diet.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [8]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Sammy: For my arthritis, I am going to try my aunt's diet: large amounts of wheat germ and garlic. She was able to move more easily right after she started that diet.

Pat: When my brother began that diet, his arthritis got worse. But he has been doing much better since he stopped eating vegetables in the nightshade family, such as tomatoes and peppers.

Which of the following, if true, would provide a basis for explaining the fact that Sammy's aunt and Pat's brother had contrasting experiences with the same diet?

A. A change in diet, regardless of the nature of the change, frequently brings temporary relief from arthritis symptoms.

B. The compounds in garlic that can lessen the symptoms of arthritis are also present in tomatoes and peppers.

C. Arthritis is a chronic condition whose symptoms improve and worsen from time to time without regard to diet.

D. In general, men are more likely to have their arthritis symptoms alleviated by avoiding vegetables in the nightshade family than are women.

E. People who are closely related are more likely to experience the same result from adopting a particular diet than are people who are unrelated.

NEW question from GMAT® Official Guide 2019

(CR02829)

We need a reason to explain why Sammy's aunt and Pat's brother had different experiences with the same diet

A. A change in diet, regardless of the nature of the change, frequently brings temporary relief from arthritis symptoms. We are nowhere told that Sammy's aunt changed her diet more frequently when compared to Pat's brother. So we cannot cite this reason to explain the difference. Incorrect.

B. The compounds in garlic that can lessen the symptoms of arthritis are also present in tomatoes and peppers.Then why did Pat's brother arthritis get worse on eating garlic?

C. Arthritis is a chronic condition whose symptoms improve and worsen from time to time without regard to diet.If diet has no role to play, it could explain the different experiences in Sammy's aunt and Pat's brother.

D. In general, men are more likely to have their arthritis symptoms alleviated by avoiding vegetables in the nightshade family than are women.But why did Pat's brother arthritis get worse in the first place when he had the same diet as Sammy's aunt? This does not explain the difference

E. People who are closely related are more likely to experience the same result from adopting a particular diet than are people who are unrelated.This fact is irrelevant to us as we do not know how closely related are Sammy's aunt and Pat's brother.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Bunuel, please change the tag to Resolve the paradox.

Thanks!

Bunuel wrote:
Sammy: For my arthritis, I am going to try my aunt's diet: large amounts of wheat germ and garlic. She was able to move more easily right after she started that diet.

Pat: When my brother began that diet, his arthritis got worse. But he has been doing much better since he stopped eating vegetables in the nightshade family, such as tomatoes and peppers.

Which of the following, if true, would provide a basis for explaining the fact that Sammy's aunt and Pat's brother had contrasting experiences with the same diet?

A. A change in diet, regardless of the nature of the change, frequently brings temporary relief from arthritis symptoms.

B. The compounds in garlic that can lessen the symptoms of arthritis are also present in tomatoes and peppers.

C. Arthritis is a chronic condition whose symptoms improve and worsen from time to time without regard to diet.

D. In general, men are more likely to have their arthritis symptoms alleviated by avoiding vegetables in the nightshade family than are women.

E. People who are closely related are more likely to experience the same result from adopting a particular diet than are people who are unrelated.

(CR02829)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Adi93 - done!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Given Kudos: 420
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos

Question Type : RESOLVE THE PARADOX..

This does not give reasons about the contrasting experience of Pat's brother and Sammy's aunt.

This gives reason- Why Sammy's aunty and Pat's brother have similar behavior. But we need choice which explains why both have contrasting behavior?

This gives us a reason: why both had different experiences? It states that improvement or contrasting behavior is general behavior of chronic condition - symptoms improve and worsen from time to time but not because of diet. Correct

This choice only provides results for avoiding vegetables in the nightshade family on men and women. But we don't have any information about how women behaved by avoiding vegetables in the nightshade family than are women

Out of scope. Also it only provides detail about same experience not contrasting experience.

C is the Answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(CR02829)

Answer is C because it clearly explains why 2 results are occurred.

A,B,D, and E do not explain the events on both people
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(CR02829)

We need to resolve the paradox in this question.

The outcomes of the same diet in two different individual are different. We are again given information that one individual did stop eating vegetables and then his condition improved.

Now there can be many reasons for the contrasting outcomes.
There can be some chemical in vegetables which is nullifying the effects of the diet or he may not be following proper diet regiment. He might be taking some other medication for some other illness.

Now coming on to the options only C resolves the paradox.

It removes the link between the Arthritis and the diet. Now the the results are simply chance events.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools: HBS '18
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
I noticed that the avg time for correct answers is 1:21. Mine is 2:21. For those who got it correct, how do you do it so quickly?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
So clearly some thing is different in two instances. think on the lines that what is different in two times.

A. A change in diet, regardless of the nature of the change, frequently brings temporary relief from arthritis symptoms. ---- if this is true that pat's brother should also get relief when he started that diet.

B. The compounds in garlic that can lessen the symptoms of arthritis are also present in tomatoes and peppers. --- then why two different results?

C. Arthritis is a chronic condition whose symptoms improve and worsen from time to time without regard to diet. --- Ok , I am skeptical about this choice. Although this is possible that two cases have nothing to do with diet.

D. In general, men are more likely to have their arthritis symptoms alleviated by avoiding vegetables in the nightshade family than are women. ---- i think avoiding vegetables is not our aim. even this one is true we will not get the answer of previous question. why two different effects of same diet.

E. People who are closely related are more likely to experience the same result from adopting a particular diet than are people who are unrelated. --- irrelevant

C is best of the lot.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja pikolo2510 generis VeritasKarishma nightblade354

Can you validate my reasoning and PoE?

Start with Q stem:

Quote:

Underlined portions suggest that I shall be handling some mystery, so let Sherlock Holmes get to task ;)
Quote:

Here is the crux of conversation:

S is suffering from A, so he decides to follow cure by his Aunt that immediately after eating wheat and garlic,
she got better

P says that when his brother followed same diet, his condition worsened. He, in fact, has stopped consuming
tomatoes and peppers, because of which he recovered.

I would like to emphasize here that we are more dealing with change in diet than a change in gender since lots of
students selected D

The mystery is why one type of diet worked for one and not for another.

Quote:

Whether the diet change frequently brings the relief from A or ALWAYS helps to recover does not solve my mystery.

Quote:

This is an inference, not a solution to resolve the mystery. This is already known from the argument.

Quote:

I was honestly not able to select this as OA, since I am ACTUALLY dealing with change in diet from vegetables
to grain and garlic. I moved on to reject others.

Quote:

Here is where incorrect gender comparison comes into pic. Hope I am correct in rejecting this.

Quote:

The closeness of relatives is outside the scope of the argument.

How close was I eliminating PoE (out of 10) ;) for this question?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [6]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos