Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Strengthenx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9684 [28]
Given Kudos: 38
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [8]
Given Kudos: 191
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [5]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Brown tides are growths of algae on the sea's surface that prevent sun [#permalink]
GMATCoachBen MentorTutoring VeritasKarishma

Can you help me with correct reasoning for B and D?

Quote:
Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the conclusion of the argument?

I need to find an evident that makes claim more believable.

Quote:
Brown tides are growths of algae on the sea's surface that prevent sunlight from reaching marine plants below, thereby destroying not only the plants but also the shellfish that live off these plants. Biologists recently isolated a virus that, when added to seawater, kills the algae that cause brown tides. Adding large quantities of this virus to waters affected by brown tides will therefore make it possible to save the populations of shellfish that inhabit those waters.

Conclusion marker: Therefore.
It is possible to save the populations of shellfish that inhabit those waters.
Premise:
Adding large quantities of virus to waters kills algae.

What else I know:
Algae feed on plants on which shellfish feed.
So I if I kill algae with virus, then there will be more food for shellfish to survive on, and hence we can save more of shellfish.

Quote:
B. Marine animals that prey on shellfish avoid areas of the sea in which brown tides are occurring.

Can I rephrase this as: Marine animals that prey on shellfish shall go to areas of the sea in which brown tides are absent.
Now if virus kills algae and then the animals that prey on shellfish will be more, decreasing shellfish population.
This is opposite to what I am looking for.
Please help if there is better way of approach for this choice.

Quote:
D. The presence of large quantities of the virus in seawater does not adversely affect the growth of marine plants.

I guess I ran swiftly through: Adding large quantities in premise that made me ignore this choice.
However what this choice does is to prevent the claim from being disrupted (i.e. why shellfish will survive) IN SPITE OF
using large quantities that will kill algae but not affect plants on which shellfish feed on.
Am I correct?
McCombs School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Brown tides are growths of algae on the sea's surface that prevent sun [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Brown tides are growths of algae on the sea's surface that prevent sunlight from reaching marine plants below, thereby destroying not only the plants but also the shellfish that live off these plants. Biologists recently isolated a virus that, when added to seawater, kills the algae that cause brown tides. Adding large quantities of this virus to waters affected by brown tides will therefore make it possible to save the populations of shellfish that inhabit those waters.

Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the conclusion of the argument?

A. When applied in large quantities, the virus not only kills the algae that cause brown tides but also many harmless kinds of algae. -- Weakening

B. Marine animals that prey on shellfish avoid areas of the sea in which brown tides are occurring. -- Doesn't matter since the shellfish anyways get killed by the brown tides algae

C. The number of different kinds of virus present in seawater is far greater than many marine biologists had, until recently, believed. -- Out-of-scope. The current virus presence is not at issue here

D. The presence of large quantities of the virus in seawater does not adversely affect the growth of marine plants. -- CORRECT, this answer option says that other than killing brown tide algae, the virus won't cause any harm

E. The amount of the virus naturally present in seawater in which brown tides occur is neither significantly greater nor significantly less than the amount present in seawater in which brown tides do not occur. -- This speaks nothing about the introduction of the particular algae killing virus species. IRRELEVANT

So, answer is D
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Brown tides are growths of algae on the sea's surface that prevent sun [#permalink]
VeritasPrepHailey Mam Kindly guide for this question...I marked answer choice B as I thought that if virus kills algae and then the animals that prey on shellfish will be more, decreasing shellfish population.
Current Student
Send PM
parkhydel Buddy Please correct the question type tag also its a strengthen question and not an inference question
Current Student
Send PM
Brown tides are growths of algae on the sea's surface that prevent sun [#permalink]
Krishh9119 wrote:
Question Type: Strengthen

Conclusion: Adding large quantities of this virus in brown tides -> will save the populations of shellfish in brown tides

What did we learn:
1) what saves the shellfish population: Marine plants
2) what is harmful for shellfish population: brown tides

Pre-thinking:

1) To save the populations of shellfish, we need something that kills the brown tides but that does not adversely effect the Marine plants.

Option D: The presence of large quantities of the virus in seawater does not adversely affect the growth of marine plants.
This option clearly falls with our reasoning.

Buddy I do not agree wit your reasoning point 1 that marine plants are saving shellfish population......

D is our answer.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 597 [5]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vasuca10 wrote:
VeritasPrepHailey Mam Kindly guide for this question...I marked answer choice B as I thought that if virus kills algae and then the animals that prey on shellfish will be more, decreasing shellfish population.

Certainly, vasuca10 - happy to provide my thoughts!

If we get started by taking a look at the question stem:

Quote:

We can see that we're looking at a strengthen question. So, we need something that fortifies the connection between evidence and conclusion. In this case, we want something that strengthens the use of the facts we've been given:

Quote:
Brown tides are growths of algae on the sea's surface that prevent sunlight from reaching marine plants below, thereby destroying not only the plants but also the shellfish that live off these plants.

and

Quote:
Biologists recently isolated a virus that, when added to seawater, kills the algae that cause brown tides.

to conclude that:

Quote:
Adding large quantities of this virus to waters affected by brown tides will therefore make it possible to save the populations of shellfish that inhabit those waters.

Let's take a look at our answers!

Quote:
A. When applied in large quantities, the virus not only kills the algae that cause brown tides but also many harmless kinds of algae.

This answer doesn't strengthen the force of our evidence. Knowing that the virus kills other varieties of algae certainly doesn't help reinforce that it could be used to save populations of shellfish. If anything, the virus holds the potential to disturb their ecosystem if it kills other, harmless, varieties of algae. This one's out.

Quote:
B. Marine animals that prey on shellfish avoid areas of the sea in which brown tides are occurring.

Hmm.. if the predators of shellfish avoid areas of brown tides, and we're proposing a plan of action that would get rid of brown tides, all this tells us is that the shellfish could encounter a new set of problems (those darn predators!) if the brown tides were effectively eliminated. This doesn't strengthen the force of the evidence, it weakens it!

Quote:
C. The number of different kinds of virus present in seawater is far greater than many marine biologists had, until recently, believed.

Totally irrelevant to us here. We're suggesting adding large quantities of this virus that we already know has been seen to kill brown-tide-causing algae. So, the fact that there are different varieties does not matter at all to us here, as it does not impact the connection between evidence and conclusion. (Does it make sense to use the virus accomplish the goal of saving shellfish?)

Quote:
D. The presence of large quantities of the virus in seawater does not adversely affect the growth of marine plants.

Hey! This looks like the counter-part to what I mentioned in (A). If the shellfish live off plants, and we want to strengthen the use of the virus to save populations of shellfish, this answer option tells us that not only will the shellfish avoid destruction by brown tides, its ecosystem and food source will as well! This absolutely strengthens our plan of action and corresponding conclusion.

Quote:
E. The amount of the virus naturally present in seawater in which brown tides occur is neither significantly greater nor significantly less than the amount present in seawater in which brown tides do not occur.

Naturally present quantities don't matter to use here... our argument specifically notes that the addition of large quantities of the virus will impact the brown tides and thus, the shellfish population. So, the naturally present levels do not matter to us, as they fall outside of the realm of the argument made.

It sounds like you analyzed the impact of (B) correctly, but misidentified the objective of our answer. Here, we wanted something that strengthens the potential use of this virus to save shellfish populations. (B), even in the light you described it in, weakens this argument, as it gives us reason to believe the use of the virus might not save the shellfish, and could instead just expose them to a whole new heightened threat! (poor shellfish!)

So, be sure you're identifying your task or job with the question and how wrong answers impact the argument in the wrong way. This should help you recognize these wrong answer types more consistently moving forward! :)

I hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
I do like following OG answer:

A. When applied in large quantities, the virus not only kills the algae that cause brown tides but also many harmless kinds of algae.

But also what ? Salvage, destroy, feed ? :)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mike20201 wrote:
I do like following OG answer:

But also what ? Salvage, destroy, feed ? :)

Wow, talk about a facepalm moment. Nice catch, Mike20201. That kills should definitely precede the not only. I guess this is a case in which one hand did not talk to the other, and a grammatical error appeared in the OE of an SC question of all places. Edit: Just realized you were not referencing the OE, but simply the answer choice itself. Anyway, still a good catch, a subtlety that tests knowledge of an idiomatic construct and the meaning it conveys.

Thank you for pointing it out. Others can appreciate the distinction, and more and more of us will feel in on the joke.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AndrewN sir,

What's your intake on A?
I understand 2nd part(red part) doesn't add force to our strengthening claim especially when D is present that directly impacts our conclusion. Undoubtedly D is best answer here.

What would you suggest in general- to keep such options on hold in 1st reading , avoiding selection and striking off?
in Official GMAT world, such options would rarely be correct ( based on your experience ) , or we never know such option could be only best option?

Please give your suggestions.

Thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Hi AndrewN sir,

What's your intake on A?
I understand 2nd part(red part) doesn't add force to our strengthening claim especially when D is present that directly impacts our conclusion. Undoubtedly D is best answer here.

What would you suggest in general- to keep such options on hold in 1st reading , avoiding selection and striking off?
in Official GMAT world, such options would rarely be correct ( based on your experience ) , or we never know such option could be only best option?

Please give your suggestions.

Thanks!

Hello, mSKR. The first part of (A) checks out against the information in the last two lines of the passage. Of course, the problem starts with but, but if the first part looked good enough to you and you were uncertain about the latter part, sure, you could leave (A) alone while you checked other answers for more glaring problems. It is only in a subsequent pass of the answer choices that you would need to get into the finer details, provided you had not burned off four answers to begin with. Such an approach can help you work through questions efficiently, with an added bonus that you may also find that your confidence increases. (Rather than spend a lot of time qualifying or disqualifying each answer choice, one by one, you can burn off what you know is incorrect and then work with the rest, putting less stress on your mind.)

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos