Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx   Verb Tense/Formx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.72
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
Re: Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
DeepikaV wrote:
In the option c, is it not correct to use ' had not been announced before/until 1968' ? because to emphasize that ' announcement' has not been made before 1968. 'no announcement' is before 1968 so i thought it should be past perfect tense. i understand first sighting in 1967 and then announcement in 1968 . so, use of past perfect for announcement is wrong. but, without the first clause is it right to use past perfect for the second clause?

Use of past perfect is redundant when using "before".
Correct: I left home before my father arrived.
Wrong: I had left home before my father arrived.

The following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide:

"Note that we do not always use the Past Perfect for earlier actions. In general, you should use Past Perfect only to clarify or emphasize a sequence of past events. The earlier event should somehow have a bearing on the context of the later event. Moreover, if the sequence is already obvious, we often do not need Past Perfect.

Laura LOCKED the deadbolt before she LEFT for work."

my friends do not follow this rule ....in OG some correct answer choice THAT you can find with using had and before/after at same time
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
smartyguy wrote:
what is wrong with E please explain ?? :roof

E says: The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell.

So, it basically says: The first sighted pulsar was not announced until February, 1968

It is nonsensical to say that pulsar was not announced; pulsar cannot be announced/unannounced.

Actually the observation/discovery (about the sighting of pulsar) was not announced until February, 1968. This is what E says.

Let us assume option E was provided as below:
E. The discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell.

Then can we say E is the correct answer choice for this question?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 329
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '23 (M)
GRE 1: Q170 V163
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja and daagh

I have a question about tenses here. I went through all the posts, but I'm still a little confused. Why are we not using past perfect tense "had not been announced"?

There are three events here:
(1) The sighting in 1967
(2) The announcement
(3) The time marker February 1968

If that's the case, shouldn't the announcement be in past perfect relative to February 1968?

I'm saying this with reference to the following OG examples:

(1) Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendants, popularly known as killer bees, had migrated as far north as southern Texas.

(2) Around 1900, fishermen in the Chesapeake Bay area landed more than seventeen million pounds of shad in a single year, but by 1920, over-fishing and the proliferation of milldams and culverts that blocked shad from migrating up their spawning streams had reduced landings to less than four million pounds.

The only difference I can see is that in the examples (1) and (2) above, the events we have denoted in the past perfect tense ("had migrated" and "had reduced") happened before the time third time marker ("35 years" and "1920") and are now completed.

Whereas "the announcement" did not happen until February 1968, i.e. it either happened sometime in February 1968, or happened after February 1968. Which means we won't need past perfect tense. Does this make sense?

I'm not very convinced though. Request your help. Really appreciate it. Thank you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Aditya

Quote:
(D) The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February 1968

I am not quite clear about your point. I presume that you are willing to concede D as the choice but not with conviction about the use of simple past tenses for both the events. One must use past perfect for the first part because it is an earlier event and past perfect for the later announcement because it comes with a time reference as in the other OG questions cited by you

Yet again you state " Which means we won't need past perfect tense" . Both stances are contradictory. Aren't they? Please advise whether you vote for past perfect or simple past in the given case.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 329
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '23 (M)
GRE 1: Q170 V163
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Hi daagh. Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes, you understood my question perfectly. I'm trying to figure out why past perfect tense "had announced" is wrong? I understand that among the answer choices, the ones that use past perfect tense are incorrect for other reasons. But if they weren't, would we prefer past perfect tense over simple past tense? This question came to me because I instantly connected the structure of the sentence to the OG examples I cited. They seem very similar to me.

As for the last paragraph and saying "Which means we won't need past perfect tense" - this was me trying to come up with a reason why we can't use past perfect tense. I'm not very confident of my explanation, hence thought of writing this post.

Hope this clarifies things. Looking forward to your reply. Thank you again.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Adithya

I am afraid that you are mistaking a convention for a rule. That you have to use a past perfect for an earlier event is a style. However, it does not mean that you should use a past perfect everyday e even if the sequence of chronology is made clear otherwise by the mention of an earlier year or a word such as before. One can challenge that this is not the inkling of GMAT, because if it were so, D could not have been marked as the OA. In other words, this is the way of saying that what we assume as a rule is not a rule.
That is the reason choice D does not use the past perfect for the discovery.
Why D does not use past perfect for the second point? Because it is the later event
Your OG choices:
1. "Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendents, popularly known as killer bees, had migrated as far north as Southern Texas."
Why this choice is using the past perfect for the later event?
According to Ron, this is just a reported speech of a normal present tense sentence such as follows.
"Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendents, popularly known as killer bees, have migrated as far north as Southern Texas"
When you convert it into a past tense, the 'have migrated' present perfect becomes 'had migrated'. That is all to this question.

(2) Around 1900, anglers in the Chesapeake Bay area landed more than seventeen million pounds of shad in a single year, but by 1920, over-fishing and the proliferation of milldams and culverts that blocked shad from migrating up their spawning streams had reduced landings to less than four million pounds.

The same reasoning as in the honeybees' case. If you wrote that sentence in 1920, you would have said '' by 1920, over-fishing and the proliferation of milldams and culverts that blocked shad from migrating up their spawning streams have reduced landings to less than four million pounds-" Now convert it into a sentence as of now, and you would write 'had reduced' instead of have reduced.

HTH
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear AjiteshArun GMATGuruNY MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasPrepHailey,

Why is HAD NOT BEEN ANNOUNCED in choice C. wrong?

I think past perfect correctly describes an event earlier than an event in the past "February 1968"
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 597 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear AjiteshArun GMATGuruNY MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasPrepHailey,

Why is HAD NOT BEEN ANNOUNCED in choice C. wrong?

I think past perfect correctly describes an event earlier than an event in the past "February 1968"

Hi varotkorn!

This one's a bit tricky, but we'll want to keep in mind that we use the past perfect to address something that happened in the past at some point before another past tense event / action. Here, saying "the discovery had not been announced before February, 1968" should place that event in the past, at some point before another past tense event - but the announcement was the later of the two events in our sentence's timeline!

So, we could have used the past perfect in some construction to address the earlier of the two events... but certainly not the latter of them.

I'd also point out that the modifier in (C) definitely makes this one means for elimination as well. "Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967" should refer to the pulsar itself, but here it seems to refer to the discovery... and that doesn't make much sense!

I hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Dear GMATGuruNY GMATRockstar VeritasPrepHailey,

My question comes from:
Quote:
OA: BY 1999, astronomers had discovered 17 nearby stars that are orbited by planets about the size of Jupiter

Quote:
OA: The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States until the First World War; BEFORE that time the federal government had depended on tariffs as its main source of revenue.

According to choice C: ...the discovery of the first sighted pulsar had not been announced BEFORE February, 1968.

Choice C. is similar to the examples above where "February, 1968" is the later event and "HAD NOT BEEN ANNOUNCED" is the earlier event.

Why is HAD NOT BEEN ANNOUNCED in choice C. wrong, whereas OAs above are right?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Why is HAD NOT BEEN ANNOUNCED in choice C wrong

C: Although observed in the summer of 1967, the discovery had not been announced.
Here, the past perfect action in red seems to be completed before the later past event in blue, implying that the ANNOUNCEMENT did not occur before the OBSERVATION.
This meaning is so obvious as to be nonsensical.
Clearly, an event cannot be announced before it is observed.
Eliminate C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
varotkorn wrote:
Why is HAD NOT BEEN ANNOUNCED in choice C wrong

C: Although observed in the summer of 1967, the discovery had not been announced.
Here, the past perfect action in red seems to be completed before the later past event in blue, implying that the ANNOUNCEMENT did not occur before the OBSERVATION.
This meaning is so obvious as to be nonsensical.
Clearly, an event cannot be announced before it is observed.
Eliminate C.

Dear GMATGuruNY,

(C) Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968.

However, if the intended sequence is between the red and blue above, will it make sense?
In other words, is this sentence grammatical correct: BEFORE Feb 1968, the discovery HAD NOT BEEN ANNOUNCED?

I'm just confused whether I have the right past perfect concept.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
(C) Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968.

However, if the intended sequence is between the red and blue above, will it make sense?
In other words, is this sentence grammatical correct: BEFORE Feb 1968, the discovery HAD NOT BEEN ANNOUNCED?

I'm just confused whether I have the right past perfect concept.

The purpose of the past perfect is to express a past action that is completed before another past action or event and that somehow AFFECTS that later action or event.

OA: The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States until the First World War; before that time the federal government had depended on tariffs as its main source of revenue.
Here, the past perfect action in green is completed before the First World War and affects the time of the war in that -- during the war -- the government NO LONGER DEPENDED ON TARIFFS.
Since the green action has a clear effect on a later past event -- the First World War -- the usage of the past perfect is justified.

C: The discovery of the pulsar had not been announced before February, 1968.
Here, it is unclear how the lack of an announcement affected February. 1968.
Thus, the usage of the past perfect seems unwarranted.

Note:
It is very common to use the perfect tenses to refer to KNOWLEDGE.

OA: The first trenches have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered societies arose simultaneously with celebrated city-states.
Here, have yielded (present perfect) affects our present knowledge of centrally administered societies.
OA: By 1999, astronomers had discovered 17 nearby stars.
Here, had discovered (past perfect) affected our knowledge of astronomy in 1999.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [2]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM