Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 329
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '23 (M)
GRE 1: Q170 V163
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Bjartskular wrote:
Guys who have taken GMAT online, did it feel tiring not having a break between Quant and Verbal? Also, I see some posts where the users have mentioned that the quality of the questions was different. Is this true? Also, I have seen many people who got black screens during their tests. Can you please tell me about your experiences?

I am not sure whether the quality of the questions were different but I definitely felt that not having the break affected my performance on Verbal. Perhaps one way to get around it is to try and finish the Quant section a minute or two early and use that time to get a break between the two sections.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
A word of caution for anyone seeking to verify his/her GMAT Online scores on this forum: it's not yet clear whether the GMAT Club score verification system can handle more than one verified GMAT Online score.

If you plan on retaking with the physical whiteboard in hopes of a higher composite score, then you might want to hold off on verifying until you receive the 2nd score.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 06 Jun 2020, 10:46.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 06 Jun 2020, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [2]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
People are not great judges of difficulty and I would definitely discard and ignore comments of quality. What does that even mean? Quality of questions? My guess is people were expecting to see the exact same questions they were practicing with and suddenly they got some questions they’ve never seen before. That is going to happen. It will always happen on your test if you are doing well and you should be prepared how to handle that situation. GMAT is not about taking 2000 questions and figuring out every single pattern. Some people advocates taking a lot of questions and learning from them but usually their scores will never be more than 700. That is because hard questions tend to be out of the box questions that rely on your knowledge of the fundamentals and not your ability to act like a machine and regurgitate answers based on your past experience solving thousands of questions.

I especially love when somebody gets a 600 and they complain about the quality of questions. What makes them an expert in GMAT questions is what I wonder ?

nsaharan1990 wrote:
Bjartskular wrote:
Guys who have taken GMAT online, did it feel tiring not having a break between Quant and Verbal? Also, I see some posts where the users have mentioned that the quality of the questions was different. Is this true? Also, I have seen many people who got black screens during their tests. Can you please tell me about your experiences?

I am not sure whether the quality of the questions were different but I definitely felt that not having the break affected my performance on Verbal. Perhaps one way to get around it is to try and finish the Quant section a minute or two early and use that time to get a break between the two sections.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
We got one vote for both. That’s not helpful ?

PS. We had an awesome GMAT Club member on YouTube today by the way.

bb wrote:
I guess the question is - do we invite Vineet from GMAC for another interview about GMAT Online and new rules

What does everyone feel? Y/N?

Or should we perhaps invite a member perhaps who has aced their GMAT such as https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online- ... 26070.html ?

Current Student
Send PM
I was mostly referring to people who are part of an institute and would have a good idea. But I guess you are right that those who get less than their expected score will crib about it.
My major concern was the whiteboard and since it is resolved I will be taking the exam as soon as I get the whiteboard I ordered. As I see it the online version is all pros and no cons now. I can save a ton of money with the free reporting :) .

bb wrote:
People are not great judges of difficulty and I would definitely discard and ignore comments of quality. What does that even mean? Quality of questions? My guess is people were expecting to see the exact same questions they were practicing with and suddenly they got some questions they’ve never seen before. That is going to happen. It will always happen on your test if you are doing well and you should be prepared how to handle that situation. GMAT is not about taking 2000 questions and figuring out every single pattern. Some people advocates taking a lot of questions and learning from them but usually their scores will never be more than 700. That is because hard questions tend to be out of the box questions that rely on your knowledge of the fundamentals and not your ability to act like a machine and regurgitate answers based on your past experience solving thousands of questions.

I especially love when somebody gets a 600 and they complain about the quality of questions. What makes them an expert in GMAT questions is what I wonder ?

nsaharan1990 wrote:
Bjartskular wrote:

Current Student
Send PM
Both if possible ;). If there was only one choice then I would prefer the GMAC representative I guess.

bb wrote:

bb wrote:
I guess the question is - do we invite Vineet from GMAC for another interview about GMAT Online and new rules

Or should we perhaps invite a member perhaps who has aced their GMAT such as

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes! You got it! People are making up excuses about getting a lower score.

The GMAT questions are well tested by the algorithm to be consistent. That’s why you have the experimental questions.

Bjartskular wrote:
I was mostly referring to people who are part of an institute and would have a good idea. But I guess you are right that those who get less than their expected score will crib about it.
My major concern was the whiteboard and since it is resolved I will be taking the exam as soon as I get the whiteboard I ordered. As I see it the online version is all pros and no cons now. I can save a ton of money with the free reporting :) .

bb wrote:

nsaharan1990 wrote:
Bjartskular wrote:

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
bb wrote:

bb wrote:

Or should we perhaps invite a member perhaps who has aced their GMAT such as https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online- ... 26070.html ?

Is it just me or Souvik's way of speaking was a bit different on this one

Just toying around to those who think I am being offensive lol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi all - thanks for your helpful tips. I was wondering if it is okay to mumble Reading passages/critical reading prompts in the GMAT Online exam? Don't want to cause any red flags for the proctor but mouthing the passage helps me concentrate better.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pn16 wrote:
Hi all - thanks for your helpful tips. I was wondering if it is okay to mumble Reading passages/critical reading prompts in the GMAT Online exam? Don't want to cause any red flags for the proctor but mouthing the passage helps me concentrate better.

Sorry, you can’t mumble unfortunately. The proctor will intervene and ask you to be quiet. There were a few mentions of it in debriefs. Sorry.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
bb wrote:
pn16 wrote:

Sorry, you can’t mumble unfortunately. The proctor will intervene and ask you to be quiet. There were a few mentions of it in debriefs. Sorry.

Ahh, I see. I will approach accordingly. Thanks for the advice!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
I was mumbling and the proctor interrupted me twice through chat. So try not to do that otherwise you will be distracted and lose time.
pn16 wrote:
Current Student
Send PM
Do we have a list of points to note before/during the GMAT Online exam? Like do's and don't's?

bb wrote:
pn16 wrote:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
One more question from people who have given the test.
Are hand gestures allowed?
Even if I try no to mumble, I tend to make a lot of hand gestures.
Is it only me or others also find this approach comfortable to approach a diffucult level ques ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45 (Online)
Send PM
gmat2020trgt740 wrote:
One more question from people who have given the test.
Are hand gestures allowed?
Even if I try no to mumble, I tend to make a lot of hand gestures.
Is it only me or others also find this approach comfortable to approach a diffucult level ques ?

Sorry no, you can not mumble or do hand gestures, it might raise flags as proctor might think you are signalling someone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM