Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: kindly evaluate my profile!!! [#permalink]
shahrukh wrote:
Dear Paul,
Thank you bery much for your suggestions. they have cleared a lot. One thing which i want to mention is that i had from the very start of my carrer in mind to have a taste of the major fields of management area so that for my long term career i be in a good position to decide which area to choose. so i got expereince in markting, banking (finance) and teaching. also i have worked for sole propeietors, private limited comanies and corporation and have worked as an entrepreneur myself for a very brief time to get a feel of all the areas since i had thought that consulting requires an all round knowledge of the management area. so does this work experience shows my aberrated career or shows an allround profile. another thing which i want to ask you that what do we mean by leadership in the work place. if u could clarify it with a couple of examples i will be really thankful to u
regards,

Shahrukh,

It may work to tell the schools that your career experiences were all attempts to gain broad experience in preparation for a consulting career. I'm not sure they'll buy it, but it's probably a good strategy to try, and you should definitely state how each position gave you Skill A, B, C, etc.

Regarding the leadership, formal leadership (having direct reports, whose work you alone direct and evaluate, and who you decide to promote or give raises to) is more impressive than informal leadership, but whatever kind of leadership experience you have, they want to see stories in which you explain how you motivate people, resolve team dynamics problems, allocate human resources, mentor and train, etc. These are the nitty-gritty aspects of leadership and you want examples that show them.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Paul
thank you for ur reply. i want a clarification plz. how do schools verify that what ever we are teling especially in essays is actually true. verification of transcripts, work at a praticular organization and reference letters is conceivable but what about the stories i tell in the essays. for example in may case, when the earthquake hit northeren areas of pakistan in october last year, i with a couple of coleagues at work arranged for medical and food supplies for the affectees and send them to the affected areas but have no proof of this work. or the mentoring i have given in the past to studnets and juniors at work? if i tell these stories in my essays, how will the school verify it or will they either assume it to be true or altogether crap?
thank you once again for the help u r giving me and many others like or unlike me :wink:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
shahrukh wrote:
Dear Paul
thank you for ur reply. i want a clarification plz. how do schools verify that what ever we are teling especially in essays is actually true. verification of transcripts, work at a praticular organization and reference letters is conceivable but what about the stories i tell in the essays. for example in may case, when the earthquake hit northeren areas of pakistan in october last year, i with a couple of coleagues at work arranged for medical and food supplies for the affectees and send them to the affected areas but have no proof of this work. or the mentoring i have given in the past to studnets and juniors at work? if i tell these stories in my essays, how will the school verify it or will they either assume it to be true or altogether crap?
thank you once again for the help u r giving me and many others like or unlike me :wink:

Shahrukh,

Different schools have different verification procedures, so I can't say how or whether they would try to confirm that you did the relief and mentoring work you mentioned. Chances are they would not be able to verify it rigorously. However, I do know that adcoms have a refined ability to "sense" when a story isn't true (I know because I've read enough essays to have developed the same sense): it's usually vague or sounds "canned." If you actually did do the relief and mentoring work then you have nothing to fear.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Paul,
my detailed profie is given in the previous posts.
if i really want to go to an ultra elite, will it help if i do a masters degree from a university like oxford or warwick with good grades (to compensate my 3.05 CGPA and relatively weaker academic back ground) and then apply to the ultra elite mba programmes. also, what if i can get a score of around 750 in GMAT. will that sufficiently compensate my lower CGPA.
i m not yet 28 and if i do masters from uk i will be around 30 when i will be applying to mba. is the age factor still ok here?
thnx n regards
SVP
SVP
Send PM
shahrukh wrote:
Dear Paul,
my detailed profie is given in the previous posts.
if i really want to go to an ultra elite, will it help if i do a masters degree from a university like oxford or warwick with good grades (to compensate my 3.05 CGPA and relatively weaker academic back ground) and then apply to the ultra elite mba programmes. also, what if i can get a score of around 750 in GMAT. will that sufficiently compensate my lower CGPA.
i m not yet 28 and if i do masters from uk i will be around 30 when i will be applying to mba. is the age factor still ok here?
thnx n regards

Shahrukh,

Please re-read my previous posts. Your GPA is not the problem.
GMAT Club Bot