Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19709 [218]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6294 [51]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [24]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [15]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The surface distance between 2 points on the surface of a cube is the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatt1476 wrote:
The surface distance between 2 points on the surface of a cube is the length of the shortest path on the surface of the cube that joins the 2 points. If a cube has edges of length 4 centimeters, what is the surface distance, in centimeters, between the lower left vertex on its front face and the upper right vertex on its back face?

A. 8
B. \(4\sqrt{5}\)
C. \(8\sqrt{2}\)
D. \(12\sqrt{2}\)
E. \(4\sqrt{2} + 4\)

PS56271.01

To find the Shortest distance between the diagonal points of the cube, we need to unfold the cube completely.
Imagine the base and right side face of the cube into a flat rectangle of length = 8 cm and breadth = 4 cm

Shortest distance = path traveled along the diagonal of the above rectangle
--> \(Distance = \sqrt{8^2 + 4^2}\)
--> \(Distance = 4\sqrt{2^2 + 1^2}\)
--> \(Distance = 4\sqrt{5}\)

IMO Option B

Pls Hit kudos if you like the solution
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [4]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Re: The surface distance between 2 points on the surface of a cube is the [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasKarishma generis

How can we get an idea that we have to open up the cube and then solve this question??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [2]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Kudos
Dear IanStewart,

My students, myself included, fall into the trap of choice E.

My question is how to approach this problem?

Instinctively, I thought that the shortest route would to walk upward across the edge of the cube and then along diagonal of the upper face.

When solving such problem, how do I know that my instinct is wrong here?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6294 [2]
Send PM
The surface distance between 2 points on the surface of a cube is the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
varotkorn

The shortest path between 2 points is a straight line, if the surface is flat. In other words, choose the path in which a ray of light is supposed to travel, without any constraints or diffraction.

In the path you chose, light has to bend( which is obviously not a natural path of light). Though, i love to see IanStewart views on this.
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [1]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
nick1816
Isn't question asking about the greatest distance? From top corner of one face to the bottom corner on opposite side on opposite face.
The formula used for determining greatest distance in cube is Side √3
So why its Side√5 ?
Please explain.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
My students, myself included, fall into the trap of choice E.

I didn't know you had students - are you teaching GMAT? I don't have much to add to what Nick has said already. The shortest distance between two points is in a straight line. Here, we're confined to distances that lie on the surface of the cube. If we just flatten the cube out, the same way you might flatten a cardboard box, none of the surface distances change, and then it's easier to see how to make a straight line between our two points, and you can solve the problem using the rectangle diagrams that were posted already. It's really a 2-dimensional distance problem disguised as a 3-dimensional one, which is typical of the GMAT - problems that seem to be testing more advanced math (3-D geometry, say) are often testing something simpler.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6294 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
yashikaaggarwal

√3*(side) would be the shortest path, if there were no constraints. In question, we do have one constraint. The shortest distance must be calculated along the surface.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
The surface distance between 2 points on the surface of a cube is the [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasKarishma wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:
VeritasKarishma generis

How can we get an idea that we have to open up the cube and then solve this question??

The question is talking about surface distance, not the distance between two points. We can imagine surface distance to be the shortest distance that an ant would have to walk to reach from point A to point B on the surface of the cube. How can we view this distance in two dimension since we are looking at surface distance which is in two dimensions only (unlike distance from point 1 in space to point 2 in space in three dimensions)? By opening the cube so that all surfaces are straightened out.

Going through this comment, it is quite clear that, reaching the same diagonal point through sides.
And not through the cube.

Thank you. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Wow im not gonna lie, this is actually a great problem...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
nick1816 wrote:
Shortest path between AB= \(\sqrt{(4^2+8^2)}\)=\(4\sqrt{5}\)

How do we know that we have to open the box ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6294 [9]
Send PM
Kudos