Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63662 [6]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal [#permalink]
why choice d is wrong?

I think "few " is different from "a few" and means "nearly Zero". so, choice d is correct.

pls, explain
thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal [#permalink]
To all those who are saying that
1) the comparison is wrong in B- cities are being compared to rivers and,
2) which refers to United States

You need to update your understanding of critical concepts. Neither the comparison is flawed not the usage of which is incorrect.

"Unlike river A, In XX the river " is poor but still a valid comparison imo. In XX is just a modifier providing additional information about the river.
Which can refer to the noun/noun clause. Whatever is written after unlike is anyway a noun clause and which can certainly modify that.

The only problem i see in B is the usage of "the river"-implying that a single river is a focal point of many cities.daagh and egmat are requested to confirm that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Darshak wrote

Quote:
To all those who are saying that
1) the comparison is wrong in B- cities are being compared to rivers and,
2) which refers to the United States

You need to update your understanding of critical concepts. Neither the comparison is flawed not the usage of which is incorrect.

"Unlike river A, In XX the river" is poor but still a valid comparison imo. In XX is just a modifier providing additional information about the river.
Which can refer to the noun/noun clause? Whatever is written after unlike is anyway a noun clause and which can certainly modify that.

The only problem I see in B is the usage of "the river"-implying that a single river is a focal point of many cities. Daagh and egmat are requested to confirm that.

1. I never said the comparison is wrong. I only said it is weak. Because in B, the comparison is not forthright. The introductory prepositional modifier namely 'in Santanio' does not just modify 'the river' alone but the entire long clause that follows. I think you also admit that when you say the comparison is poor.

2. "Which" refers to the river that is at least two nouns away. Additionally, you seem to be mistaking a noun phrase for a noun clause. Relative pronouns as they imply should refer to specific nouns rather than nouns nested with many modifiers.

In this connection, Please also look into what Ninja says in this very thread about why B is not the preferred choice. To make you feel more at home about this, please visit the link given in MGMAT, wherein Ron candidly explains why B is wrong.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/unlike-many-united-states-cities-where-a-river-is-no-longer-t2350.html

Just as an aside, would you ask Ninja and Ron also to update their understanding of this issue?

Originally posted by daagh on 30 Mar 2019, 07:42.
Last edited by daagh on 30 Mar 2019, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal [#permalink]
daagh
Hi Sir. Sincere apologies for the reply. I genuinely didn't mean that your understanding is wrong. My comment was focused on those students who said "the comparison is wrong". I,infact, wanted to highlight the very same thing you have mentioned ""the comparison is weak"".

And I just tagged you so that you can elaborate more so that those who commented can improve their understanding.

I have tremendous respect for you and I follow you regularly to improve my understanding of GMAT verbal.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and continue Guiding me towards 800:-)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Dharshak
Please do not think I got offended. I also see that your thinking is deep. Keep it up. I always with you in the forum
Director
Director
Send PM
marcodonzelli wrote:
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Paseo del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.

(A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio

(B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United States, which is no longer the focal point of urban life, in San Antonio the river

(C) Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it

(D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio

(E) No longer do many cities in the United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river

choice d is wrong because

"in few " mean "in no" which is a negative phrase. negative phrase at the beginning of the sentence require the order of question

in few cities today, IS RIVER THE FOCUL POINT..." is correct

look at choice E
"no longer do..." is order of question.

am i correct ?
Director
Director
Send PM
choice d is wrong because "few" is negative , like "no longer". so, we need question order. the correct version should be "is a river". "a river is " is wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 647
Send PM
The only reason why D is wrong is changing the original meaning.

The original meaning : in many cities, the river used to be the focal point, but now it is not.
D meaning : in many cities, the river is not the focal point. It does not show the change which is the critical idea of the whole sentence.

The critical idea in the whole sentence : for another cities, situation changed (river is no longer the focal point), but in San Antonio, the situation does not change.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 191
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Please correct me if I'm wrong GMATNinja daagh egmat , but my take on this question was slightly different.

(A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio - Incorrect comparison, as pointed out by many earlier
(B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United States, which is no longer the focal point of urban life, in San Antonio the river Many people are pointing the fact that comparison is incorrect, but I'd like to point out the usage of "THE" here. In the original sentence, we have "a" riven in many US cities, meaning every city has their respective river. If we say, THE RIVER, we are assuming that there is one river flowing through many US cities.
(C) Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it Same as B
(D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio Just because we have reversed the order, doesn't mean the meaning is correct. Many could mean anywhere from 1 to 100 (CR concept)
(E) No longer do many cities in the United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river usage of a river is correct

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio

D is a gross misinterpretation. The idea is to say that the river is "no longer" a focal point in many of the cities as it used to be before. By removing the idea of "not anymore" and by trying to feebly replace the idea by the term 'few", it is not clear why D wants to contrast San Antonio with other cities that still focus on their rivers. Please remember that 'few' does not mean "No" or " Nil". At the least, it could mean 'hardly anything" but not nothingness.

Originally posted by daagh on 20 Jul 2019, 04:06.
Last edited by daagh on 20 Jul 2019, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 191
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
daagh wrote:
D is a gross misinterpretation. The idea is to say that the river is no more a focal point in many of the cities as it used to be before. By removing the idea of "not anymore" and by trying to feebly replace the idea by the term 'few", it is not clear why D wants to contrast San Antonio with other cities that still focus on their rivers. Please remember that 'few' does not mean "No" or " Nil". At the least, it could mean 'hardly anything" but not nothingness.

Agreed. Do you agree with the rest of my explanation? Especially the usage of "The" for US rivers?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Vishnu
Although the articles have their own subtleties, still in this case, I feel, that we are just interested in the water body called that carries water. Therefore, it is more generic in this case.
I would read it this way:

A river is the main source of water for the crops
The river is the main source of water for the crops
The rivers are the main source of water for the crops
As far as I see, they don't differ much.

I have not seen much significance in such literary nuances in general in GMAT, notwithstanding that are some cases where the use of the definite article 'the' is significant.

I do hail your effort to delve into matters. Yo, do deserve kudos for that. However, moderation also helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
marcodonzelli wrote:
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Paseo del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.

(A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio

(B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United States, which is no longer the focal point of urban life, in San Antonio the river

(C) Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it

(D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio

(E) No longer do many cities in the United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river

Main Issue

Comparison

(A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio - Wrong: Comparison

(B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United States, which is no longer the focal point of urban life, in San Antonio the river - Wrong: Comparison 2) Modifier ambiguity

(C) Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it - Wrong: Comparison 2) Pronoun "it"

(D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio - Wrong: Meaning Issue

(E) No longer do many cities in the United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river - Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GRE 1: Q165 V153
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio ........wrong comparison of cities with river
B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river...... The comparison is weak, the river should have been forthrightly compared with the river, rather than in San Antonio.
C)Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it ...... wrong comparison of the river with a city.
D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
Using a parenthesis to describe an inevitable part of the sentence is incorrect. Without the clause ‘a river is the focal point of urban life’ the sentence is absurd. In addition, while the text talks about many cities where the river is longer the focal point, D talks about a few cites, where is it is still the focal point. This shift is wrong
E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river .....correct choice

Can you please explain answer choice E.I believe the comparison is between cities in united states and in san antanio
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply

(A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio "Cities" are incorrectly compared to "the river...". Eliminate.

(B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United States, which is no longer the focal point of urban life, in San Antonio the river Appears to suggest that the same river flows through many cities in the US. "Which" here implies that the US is no longer the focal point. Eliminate.

(C) Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it Incorrectly compares "the river" to "san Antonio". Antecedent of "it" is ambiguous. Eliminate.

(D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio "Cities" is incorrectly compared to "the river...". Eliminate.

(E) No longer do many cities in the United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river Correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, Technology
Schools: ISB
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Option A: Compares Cities with River which is incorrect comparison.
Option B: Unlike the river in many cities in the United States is compared with San Antonio; "which" refer to "United states" which is incorrect.
Option C: “Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life” is perfect. “unlike San Antonio” there is no referent of river which makes it incorrect
Option D: Changing the meaning of sentence and there is no contrast
Option E: Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
GMATNinja

Hi ninja
I don’t see any major problem in D also not able to decide how E is better than D?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts