Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [6]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [1]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: YLP '20
Send PM
SpaceX was founded in June 2002 by Elon Musk, whose goal was to build [#permalink]
Kudos
The thought behind the statement indicates that Elon Musk wanted to build something that's not already there. So using present tense is wrong (because it's not happening now).

A) which returns
Simple present tense, incorrect

B) that returns
Again simple present, so incorrect

C) which will return
Will shows surity, but it is only a possibility.

D) that could return
This is correct because could is used to indicate possibility.

E) having returned
Present perfect continuous, incorrect

Correct answer: D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: SpaceX was founded in June 2002 by Elon Musk, whose goal was to build [#permalink]
Kudos
SpaceX was founded in June 2002 by Elon Musk, whose goal was to build a simple and relatively inexpensive reusable rocket which returns into space on multiple occasions.

A) which returns

- grammatically correct but changed the meaning.

- Incorrect

B) that returns

- same as above, grammatically correct but changed the meaning

- Incorrect

C) which will return

- Tense error; usage of future tense is not appropriate.

- Incorrect

D) that could return

- removes all the error & conveys intended meaning.

- Correct

E) having returned

- tense error;

- Incorrect

IMO(D)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: SpaceX was founded in June 2002 by Elon Musk, whose goal was to build [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

SpaceX was founded in June 2002 by Elon Musk, whose goal was to build a simple and relatively inexpensive reusable rocket which returns into space on multiple occasions.

A) which returns

B) that returns

C) which will return

D) that could return

E) having returned

It's the goal which is yet to be achieved, hence all the options in present tense and past tense are wrong. Eliminate ABE
Between C and D, will is used in cases where we are sure about the occurrence of the event. Moreover, we need essential modifier "that" and "could return" clearly conveys intended meaning
Right answer would be D

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [1]
Given Kudos: 482
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
SpaceX was founded in June 2002 by Elon Musk, whose goal was to build [#permalink]
Kudos

A) which returns // comma + which is used for non-essential modifiers. here, comma lacks.

B) that returns // it seems fine at first glance, but I would say the usage of the present tense distorts the meaning. had the meaning implied the ability of the rocket to return, the sentence would have been much better. (note: that's my first impression, I did not look to the other options yet.)

C) which will return // comma + which is used for non-essential modifiers. here, comma lacks. every tense in the sentence is past tense. wow, the usage of "will" is very courageous. being courageous sometimes leads to fatal mistakes in GMAT as well as in real life.

D) that could return // perfect.

E) having returned // stated in this way, the rocket had returned before it was built. Sounds funny right?

p.s. for those who are fond of SpaceX and Elon Musk, SpaceX is actually founded in May 2002. on behalf of the GmatClub SC Butler Project family, I would like to send my best regards to the astronauts, Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley, who embarked on the Falcon 9 project recently
IESE School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Kudos
IMO D

Original Sentence: Problem is "which returns" marks the fact and use of Simple present tesnse

A) which returns Wrong

B) that returnssame as A; WRONG

C) which will return certainty & usage of future tense WRONG

D) that could returnCORRECT

E) having returned usage of Present perfect continuous; WRONG
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
Kudos

POE:
The sentence is in past tense, so, we need the past verb.
Eliminate (A), (B), (C) & (E)

A) which returns

B) that returns

C) which will return

D) that could return -CORRECT

E) having returned
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
I have a doubt with the explanation, I rejected d because it contained "could" which signifies some even in past as per the usage of "could" .I read the explanation of Can Vs Could usage on one of the forums.

GMATNinja Abhi077 generis please help me with this one?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts