Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [1]
Send PM
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [1]
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
theconsulguy wrote:
Would appreciate an evaluation of my profile! Going to apply in R1 this year.

26 y/o Indian male.

GMAT Score - 750 (Quant:50, Verbal:42, IR:7, AWA:6). Is not having an IR score of 8 a negative? If yes, I am open to re-taking the test.

Why MBA?
I want to move to product management, or tech consulting. Coming in from a customer-facing role in a software product company, I believe either of these is the logical next step. I think doing the MBA will give me a dual advantage of credential plus skills that would be necessary to crack into these roles.

Questions -
1. Is my profile differentiated enough from the rest of the typical pool? If not what can I do additionally to improve my chances?
2. What do you think is the biggest weak spot in my profile? Would also love suggestions on how I can address it?
3. What other schools should I be looking at, apart from ISB?

Hi theconsulguy,

1. While your education and broad sector is from the competitive Indian IT male pool, your GMAT score and the kind of experience you have within the start-up ecosystem does stand-out. You have a lot going for you and you should continue to do the good work at your current firm. Your goals are aligned with your experience and these roles seem like a logical next step

2. The only weakness I see is around extra-curricular where not much is happening currently. Also, not enough time to address it. ISB adcom realizes that such efforts which spring-up just a few months prior to the application deadline are more for the sake of standing out than actual concerted efforts you would've done otherwise as well. However, you make it up with your experience and the score

3. Apart from ISB, you could look at IIM A and B for their exec MBA programs in India. Majority of the class is from the IT/ITES sector and we've seen a number of them get placed across product management / tech consulting roles.

Feel free to reach out for further queries.

All the best!

-
Manan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, Kindly evaluate my profile:

10th std-83.4%
12th std.-83.2%
Btech in civil engineering from NIT Silchar (class of 2012). CPI-8/10
Work Ex-
1. Larsen and Toubro- 5 years as a civil and structural engineer (Thermal Power Plants) (including 1 year at an engineering firm in Chicago)
2. General Electric Company- 3 years as a plant engineer for EPC projects (Thermal Power Plants).
3. Larsen and Toubro- Assistant Manager (Energy Products) (Starts from Aug 2020)
Total Ex-8 years approx.

Currently carrying an official score of 620 but appearing again in the next 30-40 days with a target of 700+.

Interests- Stock market, event management (organizing half marathons/ conducting training sessions at work), community service (imparting education to underprivileged/ trained Hispanic kids for full marathons), sports.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hi rishovnits91,

You have got a great profile there! ISB evaluates the candidates on these four measures:
Academics: 30% weightage to GMAT/GRE scores along with an emphasis on undergrad grades
Impact: Individuals who can contribute to the society in positive and meaningful ways.
Diversity: People who can bring different perspectives to the class and appreciate different point of views.
Clear Vision: a clear goal and purpose, say, where one sees oneself in the next 3 years

I can see, on the academic front, you are quite fine and yes I would advise you to push for a GMAT score of 710+ since ISB greatly stresses on quantifiables. Your extracurriculars seem very interesting and will add to the ‘diversity’ factor in your application.
Regrading your work ex, 8 years is pretty good for ISB and I believe you would have many stories highlighting ‘impact’ and 'leadership' from your work-ex. So, overall you are a great fit for this program but what’s going to matter most in your application is how you connect the experiential dots and build a great story to stand out from other applicants in the pool.

However it'll be interesting to learn about your post-MBA goals and dig a little deeper into your experience in order to evaluate your profile better.
If you’d like, I am happy to hop on a call sometimes this week to discuss your chances in further detail.
Feel free to book my calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
Linkedin

rishovnits91 wrote:

10th std-83.4%
12th std.-83.2%
Work Ex-
1. Larsen and Toubro- 5 years as a civil and structural engineer (Thermal Power Plants) (including 1 year at an engineering firm in Chicago)
2. General Electric Company- 3 years as a plant engineer for EPC projects (Thermal Power Plants).
3. Larsen and Toubro- Assistant Manager (Energy Products) (Starts from Aug 2020)
Total Ex-8 years approx.

Currently carrying an official score of 620 but appearing again in the next 30-40 days with a target of 700+.

Interests- Stock market, event management (organizing half marathons/ conducting training sessions at work), community service (imparting education to underprivileged/ trained Hispanic kids for full marathons), sports.
Director
Director
Send PM
KaumudiT wrote:
Is 680 really that off-mark? Or am I being too much of a stickler to the 700-mark?

Hi KaumudiT, while 680 is not that off-mark, I would definitely suggest that you retake it, especially since you believe that the current score does not reflect your potential (obviously, Quant needs focus in the re-attempt).

Yes, it's completely fine to retake the exam within the next 2-3 weeks. Think about it: you have nothing to loose in your retake. If you (God forbid) score any lesser than 680, you are obviously going to cancel your score and apply with a (not too bad score of) 680.

In other words, the only way you can go from here, is up!
Director
Director
Send PM
rishovnits91 wrote:

10th std-83.4%
12th std.-83.2%

Hi rishovnits91, curiously, there is no mention of GMAT, in your post. Without GMAT, any attempt to perform a holistic profile evaluation, is a bit of an exercise in futility.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,

Need honest feedback on my chances at NUS, NTU and ISB.

Background:

Education:

GMAT 700 (Q45, V41, IR 7, AWA- 5)
10th: 90%
12th- 92%
College: B.Com Hons (Marketing Specialization) CGPA- 7.24/10/ Converted GPA- 3.0/4

Diplomas:
Six Sigma Green Belt
Diploma in Digital Marketing from Digital Vidya

Work Ex:

Overall 5 years work ex

- 2 years in sales/business development at VC backed startups like Grofers, Wedmegood, Runnr
- 3 years working as a program manager for a startup benefits program/community + managing influencer marketing for Directi

Extracurriculars:
- Captain of the school cricket team
- School team- Hockey, Football, Rowing and Dance
- Other activities: Debate, Athletics etc

Future plans:
In order of preference:
1. Transition into VC and continue working with startups
2. Work as a brand manager in the FMCG space
3. Strategy Consulting

Issues: Poor math score in school and GMAT (did make up for it in college though as it was more statistics-driven)
Would like to know my chances at NTU, NUS, IIMA A/B and ISB and where you think my priorities should lie.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Monodeep Dutta wrote:
Future plans:
In order of preference:
3. Strategy Consulting

Hi monodeep Dutta, #1 might be slightly risky to mention in the application, since there are not many VC companies that visit ISB for recruitment (very few do). Also, #3 does not seem to be aligned with your professional & academic experiences so far. That leaves us with..no prizes for guessing;).

Quote:
Issues: Poor math score in school and GMAT (did make up for it in college though as it was more statistics-driven)

This, I am pretty sure, will be a non-issue. One of our candidates got thru ISB with a score of V44 Q44 (overall GMAT score of 720). So, it is clear that ISB is more interested in looking at the overall score, rather than your score split.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PranavMv

You have a good profile, keep up the good work in building it. Answers to your queries are inline:

1. I have given two mock GMAT's before starting my preparation and my average was around 650. Quant is my strong point with a score of around 43-48. Would a score of 710-730 be sufficient and possible? (given that I wish to take the exam by the last week of August) - 710/730 would be sufficient for sure. Would it be possible - yes, if you work dedicatedly at your weak aspects. Don't bank on quant only, try to get a decent verbal score too. Else it can pull your score down.

2. Would my work experience be sufficient? provided that they consider my CA internship as experience(Have worked and was treated as a full-time employee) - CA Internship is not counted by ISB as full time work experience. Therefore, you would not be eligible for the regular PGP, you have the option to wait till you complete two years or you can apply for the ISB EEO. It would be a good fit for your profile.
3. Schools that I should be looking for with my profile? other than ISB - Given your work experience is on the lower side, you would not be eligible for any of the other one year Indian MBAs. You can look at Singapore, Europe or Canada if you are interested in B-schools abroad. And of course, the two year MBAs by IIMs, but you would have to pursue the CAT road.

PranavMv wrote:
Hi

Please review my profile

Age -23

Qualified Chartered Accountant.
Completed Bcom from Osmania University 77%
12th - 90%
10th - 8.5 CGPA

Work Ex
CA Internship - 3 years at one of the Big 4 accounting firms in their statutory audit teams. Had hands-on experience in handling audits of MNC's and listed companies
Post qualification experience- 8 months - 4 months in the corporate strategy team of one of the fastest-growing startups in the country. Presently working in the financial advisory team at one of the Big 4's

Extra-Curricular Activities -
1. Photography:- Have sold my photos on international platforms.
2. Started a small investment fund with 2 of my batchmates
3. Presently working on a series of articles aimed at educating students on the basics of finance and economy.

My Queries
1. I have given two mock GMAT's before starting my preparation and my average was around 650. Quant is my strong point with a score of around 43-48. Would a score of 710-730 be sufficient and possible? (given that I wish to take the exam by the last week of August)
2. Would my work experience be sufficient? provided that they consider my CA internship as experience(Have worked and was treated as a full-time employee)
3. Schools that I should be looking for with my profile? other than ISB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi monodeep Dutta

There are some good brands on your CV and your previous academics are good too. A 700 GMAT will work for the Indian B-schools, though it may be on the lower side for NUS and NTU. You need not worry about your previous lower score in school, though you might need a higher GMAT (not necessarily quant) score for B-schools abroad.

In terms of goals, given the background given by you, brand marketing seems the closest fit. Also, business development or account management would also be
good options. While Consulting is always a viable option for all applicants, we wouldn't recommend you writing it as a goal in your application.

Monodeep Dutta wrote:
Hi,

Need honest feedback on my chances at NUS, NTU and ISB.

Background:

Education:

GMAT 700 (Q45, V41, IR 7, AWA- 5)
10th: 90%
12th- 92%
College: B.Com Hons (Marketing Specialization) CGPA- 7.24/10/ Converted GPA- 3.0/4

Diplomas:
Six Sigma Green Belt
Diploma in Digital Marketing from Digital Vidya

Work Ex:

Overall 5 years work ex

- 2 years in sales/business development at VC backed startups like Grofers, Wedmegood, Runnr
- 3 years working as a program manager for a startup benefits program/community + managing influencer marketing for Directi

Extracurriculars:
- Captain of the school cricket team
- School team- Hockey, Football, Rowing and Dance
- Other activities: Debate, Athletics etc

Future plans:
In order of preference:
3. Strategy Consulting

Would like to know my chances at NTU, NUS, IIMA A/B and ISB and where you think my priorities should lie.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi rishovnits91

You are correct in giving GMAT again. The closer you are to 700 the better and you would need at least a 680 to remain competitive. With 8+ years of work experience, we have seen that ISB becomes extremely competitive. Therefore along with a higher GMAT you would also need stellar essays that speak of your accomplishments and the value you bring to the class along with your goals.

You should also be looking at the IIMA/B/C executive MBAs, they will be a good fit for your profile.

rishovnits91 wrote:

10th std-83.4%
12th std.-83.2%
Work Ex-
Total Ex-8 years approx.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM