Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Re: Is ((x-3)^2)^(1/2) = 3-x? (1) x ≠ 3 (2) -x|x| > 0 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
PriyankaGehlawat wrote:
Bunuel, Thanks for the explanation, but i had one question.
You mentioned : "Couple of things:
The point here is that square root function can not give negative result: wich means that some expression−−−−−−−−−−−−−−√≥0some expression≥0."

Can you please let me know why? Because in general square root gives two values, one positive and one negative.

\(\sqrt{...}\) is the square root sign, a function (called the principal square root function), which cannot give negative result. So, this sign (\(\sqrt{...}\)) always means non-negative square root.

The graph of the function f(x) = √x

Notice that it's defined for non-negative numbers and is producing non-negative results.

TO SUMMARIZE:
When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as a square root, fourth root, etc. then the only accepted answer is the non-negative root. That is:

\(\sqrt{9} = 3\), NOT +3 or -3;
\(\sqrt[4]{16} = 2\), NOT +2 or -2;

Notice that in contrast, the equation \(x^2 = 9\) has TWO solutions, +3 and -3. Because \(x^2 = 9\) means that \(x =-\sqrt{9}=-3\) or \(x=\sqrt{9}=3\).

Hi Bunuel and VeritasKarishma

A follow up to the discussion on roots. If all positive roots give only one answer that is a positive answer then why does \(\sqrt{x^2}\) (positive root) become |x| giving two answers (x could be +ve if x>=0 or -ve if x<0)? Should this also not give only one answer that is +ve?

Maybe i am confused as I have been reading too much on this topic but I am really lost in this regard...

Also, the article shared by ccooley (have attached the snapshot of it) for A) the simplification would be =>|x|/x => |x| = x if x>= 0 OR |x| = -x if x<0

Therefore it would give us two answers -1 and 1. But the article says it will only give us one answer ie -1
Attachments

Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 2.45.57 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 2.45.57 PM.png [ 61.89 KiB | Viewed 9102 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
PriyankaGehlawat wrote:
Bunuel, Thanks for the explanation, but i had one question.
You mentioned : "Couple of things:
The point here is that square root function can not give negative result: wich means that some expression−−−−−−−−−−−−−−√≥0some expression≥0."

Can you please let me know why? Because in general square root gives two values, one positive and one negative.

\(\sqrt{...}\) is the square root sign, a function (called the principal square root function), which cannot give negative result. So, this sign (\(\sqrt{...}\)) always means non-negative square root.

The graph of the function f(x) = √x

Notice that it's defined for non-negative numbers and is producing non-negative results.

TO SUMMARIZE:
When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as a square root, fourth root, etc. then the only accepted answer is the non-negative root. That is:

\(\sqrt{9} = 3\), NOT +3 or -3;
\(\sqrt[4]{16} = 2\), NOT +2 or -2;

Notice that in contrast, the equation \(x^2 = 9\) has TWO solutions, +3 and -3. Because \(x^2 = 9\) means that \(x =-\sqrt{9}=-3\) or \(x=\sqrt{9}=3\).

A follow up to the discussion on roots. If all positive roots give only one answer that is a positive answer then why does \(\sqrt{x^2}\) (positive root) become |x| giving two answers (x could be +ve if x>=0 or -ve if x<0)? Should this also not give only one answer that is +ve?

Maybe i am confused as I have been reading too much on this topic but I am really lost in this regard...

Also, the article shared by ccooley (have attached the snapshot of it) for A) the simplification would be =>|x|/x => |x| = x if x>= 0 OR |x| = -x if x<0

Therefore it would give us two answers -1 and 1. But the article says it will only give us one answer ie -1

\(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\).

If x > 0, then \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|=x=positive\).
If x < 0, then \(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|=-x=-negative=positive\).

As you can see in any case the square root gives positive result.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Kritisood wrote:

\(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\).

Ok, thanks a lot Bunuel I understood now!! one last thing, is my simplification for option A in the attached image correct? will x take two values in A ie 1 and -1?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Kritisood wrote:

\(\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\).

Ok, thanks a lot Bunuel I understood now!! one last thing, is my simplification for option A in the attached image correct? will x take two values in A ie 1 and -1?

If x < 0, then \(\frac{\sqrt{x^2}}{x}=\frac{|x|}{x}=\frac{-x}{x}=-1\). You can plug any negative number to check it.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
mrcrescentfresh wrote:
I am having a hard time grasping why we cannot simplify the problem as:

((X-3)^2)^1/2 = (3 - X) to (X - 3)^2 = (3 - X)^2?

I know I have worked problems before where we have been able to solve it by squaring both sides, but when done in this scenario the answer is entirely different than the OA.

Please help.

That is because if the question says:
Is 5 = -5?
And you do not know but you square both sides and get 25 = 25
Can you say then that 5 = -5? No!

I understand that you would have successfully used the technique of squaring both sides before but that would be in conditions like these:
Given equation: \(\sqrt{X} = 3\)
Squaring both sides: X = 9
Here you already know that the equation holds so you can square it. It will still hold. This is like saying:
It is given that 5 = 5.
Squaring both sides, 25 = 25 which is true.

This question is similar to the first case. It is asked whether \(\sqrt{((X-3)^2)} = (3 - X)\)?

LHS is positive because \(\sqrt{((X-3)^2)} = |X-3|\)
and by definition of mod, we know that
|X| = X if X is positive or zero and -X if X is negative (or zero).
Since |X-3| = - (X - 3), we can say that X - 3 <= 0 or that X <= 3
So the question is: Is X <= 3?
Stmnt 1 not sufficient.
But stmnt 2 says -X|X| > 0
This means -X|X| is positive.
Since |X| will be positive, X must be negative to get rid of the extra negative sign in front. So this statement tells us that X < 0. Then X must be definitely less than 3. Sufficient.

Hi VeritasKarishma - can you confirm per the yellow highlight in the above post,

can the question stem be re-phrased as

X <= 3 or x < 3 ?

Per my understanding, the question can be re-phrased as x < 3 only (and not x <= 3)

Reason
|x| = x , if and only if x >=0
and |x| = -x if and only if x < 0

In this question , it is the latter case [|x| = -x if and only if x < 0 ] that shows up

Hence x < 3 should be the re-phrased question and not x <= 3
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
mrcrescentfresh wrote:
I am having a hard time grasping why we cannot simplify the problem as:

((X-3)^2)^1/2 = (3 - X) to (X - 3)^2 = (3 - X)^2?

I know I have worked problems before where we have been able to solve it by squaring both sides, but when done in this scenario the answer is entirely different than the OA.

Please help.

That is because if the question says:
Is 5 = -5?
And you do not know but you square both sides and get 25 = 25
Can you say then that 5 = -5? No!

I understand that you would have successfully used the technique of squaring both sides before but that would be in conditions like these:
Given equation: \(\sqrt{X} = 3\)
Squaring both sides: X = 9
Here you already know that the equation holds so you can square it. It will still hold. This is like saying:
It is given that 5 = 5.
Squaring both sides, 25 = 25 which is true.

This question is similar to the first case. It is asked whether \(\sqrt{((X-3)^2)} = (3 - X)\)?

LHS is positive because \(\sqrt{((X-3)^2)} = |X-3|\)
and by definition of mod, we know that
|X| = X if X is positive or zero and -X if X is negative (or zero).
Since |X-3| = - (X - 3), we can say that X - 3 <= 0 or that X <= 3
So the question is: Is X <= 3?
Stmnt 1 not sufficient.
But stmnt 2 says -X|X| > 0
This means -X|X| is positive.
Since |X| will be positive, X must be negative to get rid of the extra negative sign in front. So this statement tells us that X < 0. Then X must be definitely less than 3. Sufficient.

Hi VeritasKarishma - can you confirm per the yellow highlight in the above post,

can the question stem be re-phrased as

X <= 3 or x < 3 ?

Per my understanding, the question can be re-phrased as x < 3 only (and not x <= 3)

Reason

In this question , it is the latter case [|x| = -x if and only if x < 0 ] that shows up

Hence x < 3 should be the re-phrased question and not x <= 3

is correct

and so is

|x| = x , if and only if x >0
and |x| = -x if and only if x <= 0

Since |0| = +0 = -0 = 0

You have to take the x = 0 case in one definition, either in |x| = x or in |x| = -x. We usually take the first case but the second is correct too.
This understanding becomes pertinent in a case like this.

When we know that |x| = -x, we know that x is either 0 or negative. Note that x = 0 satisfies here so you cannot ignore it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
[(x-3)2]1/2 can be x-3 or 3-x..
The first data x not=3 doesn't help as the square root of (x-3)^2 may be x-3 or 3-x...as it depends on the value of x, whether it is smaller than x or greater
The second data says -x|x| is positive. This is possible only if x is negative... because, then -x is positive and |x| is positive and naturally the product is positive. So 3-x will be positive...the square root of the expression had to be positive...and x-3 is negative..so B is sufficient.
Hence B

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [2]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Kudos