Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [9]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers increased stea [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
E is the best

The other option are too far away from the key point: the ad campaign started in 2000

sajitha said "new label" and "ads" contributed to increase in sales

kyle ruled out by saying the ads started in sep 2000.

So increase in sales is by "new label"

ans is E
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [1]
Send PM
Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers increased stea [#permalink]
Kudos
For who started the gmat exam maybe this is a good question. I mean: a question like this one is good for the first CR during the test ....or so. Then will be a massacre :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1284 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
carcass wrote:
For who started the gmat exam maybe this is a good question. I mean: a question like this one is good for the first CR during the test ....or so. Then will be a massacre :-D

couldn't agree more :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Rock750 wrote:
carcass wrote:

couldn't agree more :-D

Totally agreed, it's an easy question. OA is E.

Hey Carcass could we name this https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-mid-1990s-the-united-states-supreme-court-rendered-a-151523.html a Massacre question ?
Board of Directors
Send PM
It is a Cr question or RC?..... No way to long as Cr, difficult to imagine a question like this if not impossible. Maybe is good for practice, but a question like this, is the main reason why lately I train with only OG questions no matter what : from gmat paper test. gmat old software and new, question pack 1.......... the material is more than enough. moreover, is important to revise each question....... so you have enough material to work with.........

Nexus 4 with Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
E it is .....................
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
I think that a "massacre question" involves more of the things carcass just mentioned, like answer choices with negations and irrelevant lead-in, and not the lenght of a question.
By the way, does the GMAT has this kind of lengthy CR questions?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Definitely NO

Nexus 4 with Tapatalk
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
This appears to be a GMAT Hack question of the day. The official explanation from the website is as follows:

Answer: E This is a weaken question. Kyle's argument addresses only half of Sajitha's claim. She points out the effect of the new label and new ads. He responds only to the claim about the new ads, showing why the ads probably didn't cause the first part of the increase in sales. An obvious weak point of his response, then, is that the new label may have had the effect Sajitha claimed it did. Consider each choice in turn:

(A) This doesn't limit the effectiveness of Kyle's claim, which points out that the ads wouldn't have caused a sales increase in early 2000. (B) This choice suggests an external cause of the sales increase, but it isn't strictly within the scope of Kyle and Sajitha's dispute. A better choice would have to do with something Sajitha's claim implied. (C) By focusing on the advertising campaign, this choice doesn't affect the validity of Kyle's response. (D) Experimentation may benefit or not benefit Lodgewood. Like (B), it's an external cause to the dispute between Kyle and Sajitha. (E) This is correct. We're looking for something having to do with the new label, and this choice gives us a reason why, in line with Sajitha's claim, the data shows a rise starting in early 2000.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Quote:
It is a Cr question or RC?..... No way to long as Cr, difficult to imagine a question like this if not impossible. Maybe is good for practice, but a question like this, is the main reason why lately I train with only OG questions no matter what : from gmat paper test. gmat old software and new, question pack 1.......... the material is more than enough. moreover, is important to revise each question....... so you have enough material to work with.........

I did a word count for this question and the passage is only 75 words. Doesn't seem too long. According to the overview page for CR in the The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review - 2nd Edition (p113), it says that CR passages tend to be less than 100 words. So this is in the medium length for CR passages assuming that some may be a little over 100 words. (it does appear that many do go over 100 word passages) I guess it may seem lengthy when the passage is a discussion between two subjects. Although this type of question is uncommon, there are 2 such questions out of 83 in the above mentioned OG material. Question #49 actually has two subjects with each making two separate remarks and Question #79 has two subjects each making one slightly longer discussion remark. Just thought I would throw my two cents in regarding this topic as I had a different impression about the length and usefulness of this type of question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers increased stea [#permalink]
Can someone explain why A is wrong? I thought A is proving that the ads actually have an impact on the campaign which exactly weakens the Kyle's claim. Please help!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Kudos
Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers increased steadily from 2000 to 2002. The rise in sales was probably due in large part to the new label and ads developed by their advertising firm, which played up the microbrewery's local history.

Kyle: There must be another explanation: The data you cite show the rise in sales started in early 2000. Yet the company's new advertising campaign did not go into effect until September of that year.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Kyle presents to Sajitha's explanation?

Premise: beers increased steadily 2000-2002
Conclusion: It is due to new label and ads
Objection: cannot be ads in early 2000

(A) Beer buyers surveyed in 2001 cited the advertising campaign as the primary reason they became aware of Lodgewood's offerings.

Ok, I need help with this one. I understand why E is the correct answer but why not A?
The only thing I can think of is: in Kyle's statement: the rise in sales started in early 2000, and ads started in Sept. 2000. Therefore the people surveyed in 2001 doesn't help explain the rise in early 2000. Am I correct?

(B) A nationwide beer distributor stopped placing two other specialty microbrew brands in stores in 2000.

stopping placing brands in store would only decrease the popularity of a brand. So it doesn't explain why the brand became popular in early 2000.

(C) Lodgewood's new label was the main focus of its advertising campaign.

Ok yes, so what? Even Kyle kind of acknowledges this point, but it still doesn't explain why in early 2000, the brand became popular without ads.

(D) Buyers of specialty microbrew beers are more likely than the average beer consumer to experiment with different brands and varieties of beers.

IMO, this type of consumers would only spend their money on different brands -> doesn't explain the sales surge in early 2000.

(E) Lodgewood's new label appeared on their beer bottles in late 1999.

Since new label already appeared before 2000, by what Sajitha said, the ads brought popularity. And this explains why it is successful in early 2000.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts