Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 263
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the [#permalink]
Options B and C are incorrect because the portion 'the vehicle....preventing it's engine thrust..' doesn't match with the original meaning. Actually, the vehicle's engine thrust are prevented from dissipating by conical design.

The incorrect use of verb-ed modifier and being
makes option D incorrect.

There is no connector in option E and it is a run on sentence.

Therefore, option A is correct. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Send PM
DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the [#permalink]
DivyanshuGupta61 wrote:
I understand why option A is correct but I don't really understand why option E is incorrect.
Why are you saying that the underlined portion is an independent clause for option E and the same concept does not apply to option A

There is no connector in option E and it is a run on sentence.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:
DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the speed of sound and can attack a target 2000 miles away in 30 minutes, its engine’s thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.

A. its engine’s thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design
B. preventing its engine’s thrust from dissipating in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design
C. preventing the dissipation of its engine’s thrust in the stratosphere due to its conical unibody design
D. prevented its engine’s thrust from being dissipated in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design
E. its engine’s thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design

Here is the official explanation for this question:

Understand the Meaning of the Original Sentence

The sentence presents a fact about DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle (FHTV). It states that this vehicle can fly as fast as 6 times the speed of sound. It can attack a target 2000 miles away in 30 minutes. Then the sentence presents the reason why such performance is achievable. The engine’s thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere. This is because of the conical unibody design.

Find the Errors in the Original Sentence

DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the speed of sound and can attack a target 2000 miles away in 30 minutes, its engine’s thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.

This sentence contains a single clause with the SV pair highlighted. The underlined portion of the sentence contains a modifier – a noun + noun modifier structure. This modifier provides further information about how the vehicle can fly this fast and can attack this fast and this far away. The sentence has no grammatical errors and communicates the meaning very clearly.

Review Answer Choices to do POE

Choice B – Even though grammatically correct, this choice distorts the meaning of the sentence since now it uses “verb-ing modifier” in place of “noun + noun modifier”. Thus instead of now presenting a mechanism of how the vehicle is this fast, it presents the following two meanings, both of which are illogical:
1.The vehicle itself prevents its thrust from dissipating – Illogical.
2.The vehicle goes this fast and this results in preventing its thrust from dissipating. – Reversed causal relationship - hence illogical.

Choice C – Same errors as in Choice B. Furthermore, “due to” is not used correctly. Here it may illogically imply that the dissipation of thrust is due to conical design.

Choice D – Use of verb-ed modifier in this sentence is not correct. Typically these modifiers are used to modify the nouns. Even if they are used to modify the clauses, they associate with the subject of the clause, and this is non-sensical in the context of this sentence as discussed in choice B analysis.

Choice E – This choice connects two independent clauses using comma. Semicolon should be used. Furthermore, this choice is very wordy.

TAKE AWAYS

1. Understand the meaning of the original sentence and determine the role of each modifier.
2. Be cautious of change of structure of modifiers since such changes even though grammatically correct may distort the meaning of the sentence.

Note: The attachment at https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html contains the document with Strategies for Meaning Change and the questions with detailed solutions. Note that this is a "living" document. We add the strategies, questions, and explanations in this document as we add them on the forum. So be sure to download the latest version!

EGMAT
Based on the discussion in the thread, I can see that option E is incorrect because
1. it had 2 independent clauses joined by a 'comma' and not by a 'semi colon'
2. 'being' is present in the sentence

But, I'm still not able to understand why are we
1. considering the two sentences in option E to be Independent clauses and the same is not applicable for the sentences in option A ?
2. Why is separating two independent clauses by a comma incorrect ?

Option A: DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the speed of sound and can attack a target 2000 miles away in 30 minutes, its engine’s thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.
Option E: DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the speed of sound and can attack a target 2000 miles away in 30 minutes, its engine’s thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design

Request you to help me with my query and with the concept of Independent clauses.

PS: I have already enrolled for the EGMAT's verbal course.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
DivyanshuGupta61 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:

A. its engine’s thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design
B. preventing its engine’s thrust from dissipating in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design
C. preventing the dissipation of its engine’s thrust in the stratosphere due to its conical unibody design
D. prevented its engine’s thrust from being dissipated in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design
E. its engine’s thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design

The sentence presents a fact about DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle (FHTV). It states that this vehicle can fly as fast as 6 times the speed of sound. It can attack a target 2000 miles away in 30 minutes. Then the sentence presents the reason why such performance is achievable. The engine’s thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere. This is because of the conical unibody design.

This sentence contains a single clause with the SV pair highlighted. The underlined portion of the sentence contains a modifier – a noun + noun modifier structure. This modifier provides further information about how the vehicle can fly this fast and can attack this fast and this far away. The sentence has no grammatical errors and communicates the meaning very clearly.

Choice B – Even though grammatically correct, this choice distorts the meaning of the sentence since now it uses “verb-ing modifier” in place of “noun + noun modifier”. Thus instead of now presenting a mechanism of how the vehicle is this fast, it presents the following two meanings, both of which are illogical:
2.The vehicle goes this fast and this results in preventing its thrust from dissipating. – Reversed causal relationship - hence illogical.

Choice C – Same errors as in Choice B. Furthermore, “due to” is not used correctly. Here it may illogically imply that the dissipation of thrust is due to conical design.

Choice D – Use of verb-ed modifier in this sentence is not correct. Typically these modifiers are used to modify the nouns. Even if they are used to modify the clauses, they associate with the subject of the clause, and this is non-sensical in the context of this sentence as discussed in choice B analysis.

Choice E – This choice connects two independent clauses using comma. Semicolon should be used. Furthermore, this choice is very wordy.

TAKE AWAYS

1. Understand the meaning of the original sentence and determine the role of each modifier.
2. Be cautious of change of structure of modifiers since such changes even though grammatically correct may distort the meaning of the sentence.

Note: The attachment at https://gmatclub.com/forum/5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html contains the document with Strategies for Meaning Change and the questions with detailed solutions. Note that this is a "living" document. We add the strategies, questions, and explanations in this document as we add them on the forum. So be sure to download the latest version!

EGMAT
Based on the discussion in the thread, I can see that option E is incorrect because

1. considering the two sentences in option E to be Independent clauses and the same is not applicable for the sentences in option A ?

Option A: DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the speed of sound and can attack a target 2000 miles away in 30 minutes, its engine’s thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.
Option E: DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the speed of sound and can attack a target 2000 miles away in 30 minutes, its engine’s thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design

Request you to help me with my query and with the concept of Independent clauses.

An Independent Clause must consist of a subject and a verb. Sometimes,there will be object or additional information for describing subject and verb.

Like, I am preparing for Gmat.
If you connect two IC, you can use the followings.
1. IC;IC
2. IC,(and/or/but/so/nor/yet/for)+IC

Ex. I want to pursue my MBA, and I need to get a good score on Gmat.

Let's check the first part of option A & Option E. There's an IC and we have no problem with it.
DARPA's Vehicle can fly.....,

Check the last part of option A.
..,its engine’s thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.
Here, prevented is not a verb, it's a verb-ed modifier. The construction is, its engine’s thrust is prevented .. by its unibody design. When we eliminate the auxiliary verb is, the sentence looks like 'its engine’s thrust prevented...by unibody design'
As there is no verb in the second part, we can't say it's an IC. Rather it's a modifier.
That's why, IC, modifier.

Now, check the option E.
DARPA's Vehicle can fly....., its engine’s thrust is prevented.. by its design.
In the first & second part, there's subject-verb match. clearly, there are two IC in this option. But they are connected by a comma. As we have already mentioned,two IC can not be connected by comma. It's a run on sentence.

I hope, the explanation may be helpful. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the [#permalink]
Ranasaymon wrote:
DivyanshuGupta61 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:

TAKE AWAYS

EGMAT

An Independent Clause must consist of a subject and a verb. Sometimes,there will be object or additional information for describing subject and verb.

1. IC;IC

Let's check the first part of option A & Option E. There's an IC and we have no problem with it.

..,its engine’s thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design.
Here, prevented is not a verb, it's a verb-ed modifier. The construction is, its engine’s thrust is prevented .. by its unibody design. When we eliminate the auxiliary verb is, the sentence looks like 'its engine’s thrust prevented...by unibody design'
As there is no verb in the second part, we can't say it's an IC. Rather it's a modifier.

Now, check the option E.
In the first & second part, there's subject-verb match. clearly, there are two IC in this option. But they are connected by a comma. As we have already mentioned,two IC can not be connected by comma. It's a run on sentence.

Thanks for you explanation, it was really helpful.
As mentioned two Independent clauses can be connected either by ';' or by ', FANBOYS'

Finally, is 'is' (helping verb) the verb for the subject 'engine’s thrust' in the second IC of option E ?
Second IC: its engine’s thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
DivyanshuGupta61 wrote:
Ranasaymon wrote:
DivyanshuGupta61 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:

TAKE AWAYS

EGMAT

1. IC;IC

Now, check the option E.

Thanks for you explanation, it was really helpful.
As mentioned two Independent clauses can be connected either by ';' or by ', FANBOYS'

Finally, is 'is' (helping verb) the verb for the subject 'engine’s thrust' in the second IC of option E ?
Second IC: its engine’s thrust is prevented from being dissipated in the stratosphere because of its conical unibody design

Yes, in the 2nd part of option E, the verb is 'is prevented'. And the meaning of option E is slightly different from original meaning. Another reason for eliminating option E.
In option E, its engine’s thrust is prevented....because of its unibody design. Using of 'because' creates causal relation.

Look at the option A, its engine’s thrust prevented....by its unibody design. Is not it something different? The construction of the second part is similar to a passive voice,in which the auxiliary verb 'is' is inherent. Thats why, 'prevented' works as a verb-ed modifier. And the subject of the verb 'is prevented' is unibody design.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
amitahlawat06 wrote:
if we talk about "E", it is rejected because of using a comma instead of a semi-colon.
do GMAT actually test us on these?

if you read carefully, you notice that this is a noun + noun modifier (verb-ed modifier) hence there is no verb here:

its engine’s thrust prevented from dissipating in the stratosphere by its conical unibody design

so this is merely a phrase.
Also the reason why choice A wins over choice B is that a noun + noun modifier can provide additional information about the modified entity...
while verb-ing modifier phrases' scope is the action and the subject...
hope it clarifies
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Why "is" introduced in E makes it an independent clause. In A we have verb "prevented" and conveys an idea as well. Shouldn't this make A an independent clause too and require a semi-colon.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mayank221133 wrote:
Why "is" introduced in E makes it an independent clause. In A we have verb "prevented" and conveys an idea as well. Shouldn't this make A an independent clause too and require a semi-colon.

Hi Mayank221133,

That prevented is not a complete verb. If we wanted a complete verb there, we'd have to go with something like was prevented or is prevented. Let's try to make that phrase a complete sentence:

1. Its thrust prevented from dissipating...
vs.
2. Its thrust is prevented from dissipating...
3. Its thrust was prevented from dissipating...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mayank221133 wrote:

Hi Mayank221133, this is because is is a verb in option E, while in A, prevented is not used as a simple past tense verb; prevented is used as past participle.

Hence, in option A, its engine’s thrust prevented from ...unibody design is not an Independent clause (in fact, it is not a clause at all, since there is no verb in this portion of the sentence). This portion of option A is just a modifier. Hence, A is not a run-on sentence.

As Ajitesh mentioned in an earlier post, this question is inspired by this official sentence that you can also look at, for additional practice.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses a framework to distinguish between Simple Past Tense and Past Participiple. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Mayank221133 wrote:

Hi Mayank221133, this is because is is a verb in option E, while in A, prevented is not used as a simple past tense verb; prevented is used as past participle.

Hence, in option A, its engine’s thrust prevented from ...unibody design is not an Independent clause (in fact, it is not a clause at all, since there is no verb in this portion of the sentence). This portion of option A is just a modifier. Hence, A is not a run-on sentence.

As Ajitesh mentioned in an earlier post, this question is inspired by this official sentence that you can also look at, for additional practice.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses a framework to distinguish between Simple Past Tense and Past Participiple. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,

Just to be sure here, In option A "prevented" is giving an additional information for "engine's thrust", and that's why its a past participle??
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mayank221133 wrote:
Just to be sure here, In option A "prevented" is giving an additional information for "engine's thrust", and that's why its a past participle??

This is absolutely correct Mayank.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Quote:
egmat wrote:

TAKE AWAYS

Isn't option (A) a comma splice?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arya251294 wrote:
Isn't option (A) a comma splice?

Hi arya251294, kindly go thru this post to understand why option A is not a comma splice (run-on).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: DARPAs Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: DARPAs Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle can fly as fast as 6X the [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts