Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [8]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [7]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [2]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Re: Although I am familiar with Rembrandt's work, through photographs and [#permalink]
Kudos
Though I've marked the correct answer in Q3, as other choices were worse, I have doubts about the correct answer choice.
The author of the passage says that he has seen the "Slav Prince" at Hermitage, but we dont have any evidence that the masterpiece is housed there or temporarily exhibited

I know that finding the worst 4 answer choices is the case for SC, but does the same apply for RC?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Although I am familiar with Rembrandt's work, through photographs and [#permalink]
Q3 answer choice E seems to be the least worst option, it's pretty flawed. How can we say it's housed there when the author only "Saw" it there.
Can someone explain?

It's like saying I saw a car in a garage therefore it must be housed there I mean it's ridiculous.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
mrcentauri wrote:
Q3 answer choice E seems to be the least worst option, it's pretty flawed. How can we say it's housed there when the author only "Saw" it there.
Can someone explain?

It's like saying I saw a car in a garage therefore it must be housed there I mean it's ridiculous.

Hi mrcentauri,

I agree that option E for Question 3 is the least worst of all and that we cannot infer it with certainty. My suggestion would be to approach the question using elimination technique and referring the lines: "I was especially struck with that masterpiece of his at the Hermitage, called the ‘Slav Prince’,", for inferring the best possible option.

Hope this Helps.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM
I really can't understand how E is incorrect in the Q1.
It has been mentioned in the para that "his reproductions were not only disappointing but also wrong "
Retired Moderator
Send PM
sarphant123 wrote:
I really can't understand how E is incorrect in the Q1.
It has been mentioned in the para that "his reproductions were not only disappointing but also wrong "

Hi sarphant123,

Option E is wrong as public's reactions or opinions have not been discussed in the passage.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.72
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi sarphant123

To add to bm2201, E is incorrect because the author clearly mentioned that the Rembrandt’s reproductions are incorrect not his paintings.

Also, if you notice Choice B could be the contender, as one may think that the reproductions are incorrect cause people who produced those could have mis-interprented and hence misrepresented. This choice highlights or rather gives an example of extreme scope and it is really necessary to develop the skill of staying connected to the passage while answering questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.72
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Although I am familiar with Rembrandt's work, through photographs and [#permalink]
Hi sarphant123

To add to bm2201, E is incorrect because the author clearly mentioned that the Rembrandt’s reproductions are incorrect not his paintings.

Also, if you notice Choice B could be the contender, as one may think that the reproductions are incorrect cause people who produced those could have mis-interprented and hence misrepresented. This choice highlights or rather gives an example of extreme scope and it is really necessary to develop the skill of staying connected to the passage while answering questions.

Overall its a very good RC AgarwalArpit20. Loved Q3, though I got it wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Hey guys, can anyone explain question 1 to me. The correct answer choice doesn't seem 100 percent correct to me. Option D talks about interplay of light and shade. But the passage never mentions any form of interplay. The passage only suggests that "the light and shade have never been given their true value." There is no interplay here or any suggestion of one. Can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
Send PM
For Q2, the answer given is To provide an example of a problem he mentions earlier in the passage.

However can anyone explain this . I don't see author mentions any problem earlier in the passage when he mentions Slav Prince. The problems are discussed after it.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Although I am familiar with Rembrandt's work, through photographs and [#permalink]
gauranggarg wrote:
Hey guys, can anyone explain question 1 to me. The correct answer choice doesn't seem 100 percent correct to me. Option D talks about interplay of light and shade. But the passage never mentions any form of interplay. The passage only suggests that "the light and shade have never been given their true value." There is no interplay here or any suggestion of one. Can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance.

Hi gauranggarg,

Quote:
(D) The interplay of light and shade in Rembrandt’s paintings has never completely been replicated

Interplay between 2 things means the effects the two things have on each other. True that the passage doesn't mention the interplay of light and shade, but the intent of this option is to imply that light and shade have never been completely duplicated in the reproductions of Rembrandt's pictures and this intent can be inferred from the lines: "The light and shade have never been given their true value, ".

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mukherjeeabhish wrote:
For Q2, the answer given is To provide an example of a problem he mentions earlier in the passage.

However can anyone explain this . I don't see author mentions any problem earlier in the passage when he mentions Slav Prince. The problems are discussed after it.

Hi mukherjeeabhish,

The problem that author is talking about is about the colors in the painting and it can be inferred from the lines: "I invariably experience a shock from the colour standpoint whenever I come in touch with one of his pictures. I was especially struck with that masterpiece of his at the Hermitage, called the ‘Slav Prince’,".

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts