Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Modifiersx   Modifiersx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
Re: Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tis [#permalink]
Quote:
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

(A) because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone

(E) in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues

Would (A) be correct if the examples were set off by commas? (i.e. because they are composed of tissues, such as tooth and bone, not normally ...) If so, would it still be more ambiguous than (E)?

Thanks
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tis [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
costcosized wrote:
Quote:
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

Would (A) be correct if the examples were set off by commas? (i.e. because they are composed of tissues, such as tooth and bone, not normally ...) If so, would it still be more ambiguous than (E)?

Thanks

Good question, costcosized. Such as is a tricky head to a phrase, and many times, it can be used in either a restrictive (i.e. without commas) or non-restrictive sense. If you place commas around such as tooth and bone in choice (A), the sentence is conveying that teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears. Both tooth and bone are used as examples of such tissues, and the meaning would be perfectly clear. You should not use a because/in that split as a basis for elimination, so if choice (E) were somehow altered to represent a clearly incorrect answer, then yes, the proposed (A) would win out.

Here is an article on the topic for further reading. Happy studies.

- Andrew
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: LBS '24 (A)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

In option E, I couldn't identify ", tissues not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears" as a noun + noun modifier. Per my reading, I understood that the sentence is a passive construction and a complete independent sentence. This sentence is joined with the first sentence "Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone" by a comma and hence the construction is not correct.

Please can you help me understand where I am going wrong?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VIVA1060 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

In option E, I couldn't identify ", tissues not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears" as a noun + noun modifier. Per my reading, I understood that the sentence is a passive construction and a complete independent sentence. This sentence is joined with the first sentence "Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone" by a comma and hence the construction is not correct.

Please can you help me understand where I am going wrong?

Think about it - How do you make a passive construction?

I found him. - Active
He was found by me. - Passive

The tissues were found ... - Passive

In our original sentence, there is no helping verb was/were. Here, 'found' acts as a past participle modifying 'tissues'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools: Harvard '24
Send PM
GMATNinja

Hi :-)

but answer E is not a run-on? I mean are not 2 independent connected by a comma? why is it correct?

Many thanksssss
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [3]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Kudos
gastoneMIT wrote:
GMATNinja

but answer E is not a run-on? I mean are not 2 independent connected by a comma? why is it correct?

Many thanksssss

Hey, gastoneMIT, is not :-)
in this case it is a clause that provides additional information about noun tissues, and thus plays role of "noun phrase".
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gastoneMIT wrote:
GMATNinja

Many thanksssss

BLTN is spot-on. Notice that "tissues not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears" (the part after the comma in E) is actually not an independent clause. In fact, it's not even a clause. "Found" is just a modifier that describes "tissues," and we don't have a verb for the noun "tissues."

The stuff after the comma is just some extra information describing "tissues such as tooth and bone," and we see this sort of thing all the time on the GMAT (the GMAT is pretty lenient when it comes to this sort of comma usage).

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
costcosized wrote:
Quote:

Thanks

Good question, costcosized. Such as is a tricky head to a phrase, and many times, it can be used in either a restrictive (i.e. without commas) or non-restrictive sense. If you place commas around such as tooth and bone in choice (A), the sentence is conveying that teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears. Both tooth and bone are used as examples of such tissues, and the meaning would be perfectly clear. You should not use a because/in that split as a basis for elimination, so if choice (E) were somehow altered to represent a clearly incorrect answer, then yes, the proposed (A) would win out.

Here is an article on the topic for further reading. Happy studies.

- Andrew

Even without commas why can't it be right as tooth and bone are used as examples so not normally found....... should modify tissues
Is this option rejected becoz it creates confusion of modifier modifying tooth,tisues or bone

Is "in that" here used as because

Has confusion on role of in that for what purpose it's used

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools: IESE '25 (A)
GRE 1: Q165 V163
GPA: 2.24
Send PM
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tis [#permalink]
I am still not sure what is wrong with D. isn't 'tissues such as tooth and bones' giving additional info about composition?

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Expert Reply
Such as is used for examples
Like is used for similarity

In this case tooth and bone are examples of tissues, hence we need Such as. So Eliminate answer choices B and C

Further, what is not normally found ? Tissues not normally found, So Eliminate answer choices A and D.

Therefore E is the correct answer choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
It took me 1:52 mins (E)
The reason I chose E is because I knew that "such" is the right word to display sameness than "like" which displays similarity. The other reason to chose E is the mention of tissues to be no normally found rather than the bone and tooth.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 65
We've selected E over A because in A it is not clear if they are composed of tissues such as bone or they are composed of tissues such as bone [which is] not normally found....
Is my understanding correct or we've any other reason for choosing E and eliminating A?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Difference b/w 'as' and 'like'. Please tell a way so that i could avoid this mistake
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
smashingpumpkins wrote:

Eleminated this for the sole reason that tissues at the end felt more appropriate

(B) because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are
like doesn't feel appropriate such as felt much better in the comparison

(C) because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues
These are joining depended clauses with comma which distorts the meaning

(D) in that their composition, tissues such as tooth and bone, is
Similar reasoning as C and 'is' isn't the appropriate word

This presents the right meaning and tense

Therefore IMO E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tis [#permalink]
ankurgupta03 wrote:
208. Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not
normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

not clear what is not normally found, tissues or tooth and bone
(B) because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are
like is used for similarity, hence should not be used. Exaples are shown by such as
(C) because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues
like is used for similarity, hence should not be used. Exaples are shown by such as
(D) in that their composition, tissues such as tooth and bone, is
awkward framing of the sentence
Correct

Can someone help me understand how to tell based on the meaning of the sentence when to use "like" vs "such as". I know "like" is used in scenarios when you are comparing two different things, and "such as" is used when you are listing examples. However, in this sentence, it seems more logical to me that the "tooth and bone" are being compared to the tissues of the teratomas, meaning that the tissues of the teratomas are similar to tooth and bone. It also seems less logical that tooth and bone are examples of tissues found in the composition of a form of cancer. Since cancer doesn't have teeth or bones.

Any help would be great! Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kelbyandrews wrote:
Can someone help me understand how to tell based on the meaning of the sentence when to use "like" vs "such as". I know "like" is used in scenarios when you are comparing two different things, and "such as" is used when you are listing examples. However, in this sentence, it seems more logical to me that the "tooth and bone" are being compared to the tissues of the teratomas, meaning that the tissues of the teratomas are similar to tooth and bone. It also seems less logical that tooth and bone are examples of tissues found in the composition of a form of cancer. Since cancer doesn't have teeth or bones.

Any help would be great! Thanks

"It also seems less logical that tooth and bone are examples of tissues found in the composition of a form of cancer. Since cancer doesn't have teeth or bones."

That's why the sentence starts with "Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because..." What follows should be something that explains why teratomas are unusual forms of cancer -- the fact that they are composed of tissues NOT normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears is what makes teratomas unusual:

• Let's say there's a tumor in the ovaries. If it's a normal form of cancer, that tumor will likely be composed of tissues that ARE normally found in the ovaries. But if it's a teratoma, the tumor will be composed of tissues that are NOT normally found in the ovaries -- such as bone tissue or tooth tissue.
  • Yes, it is unusual for a cancerous tumor to have bone tissue or tooth tissue. But since we are expecting something unusual given the context, this seemingly "less logical" meaning actually makes a lot of sense. (Btw, according to the internet, "'Teratoma' is Greek for 'monstrous tumor'; these tumors were so named because they sometimes contain hair, teeth, bone, neurons, and even eyes...")
  • If we go with "like" (or "similar to"), then we are left wondering, "How are these cancerous tissues LIKE tooth and bone? Is it because the tumors are white in color and hard to the touch? And what exactly makes teratomas unique? Is it the tooth and bone part? Being composed of tissues not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears? Both of those features combined?"

The meaning is actually LESS clear if we go with like/similar to (as in choice B). Given the context, "such as" is more appropriate.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
I am a bit confused. Please help.

Isn't option E repetitive:
Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

Why do you need the additional 'tissues' again?

I chose option D: the T's are unusual because of their composition . . . .
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts