Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 468 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Send PM
Re: Does this put me out of the running?- Low GMAT score ! [#permalink]
execmba wrote:
I am applying for a part-time executive MBA program at Wharton. I took the GMAT today and was greatly disappointed by my scores. I received a 570 (Q37; V31). Now, I do not know if I even have a shot at selection. Or am I just deluding myself!- does my poor showing at the GMAT automatically put me out of the running.

Can someone please advise.

The GMAT score submission dates are March 1, 2004 and I really do not have time to retake the test before that. I do not want to give up instead I want to figure out a recovery startegy which would get me the results I so desire (i.e. to get selected into the program).

My background:

I have put in a solid essay, solid recommendations and 8 years of progressive Technology mangerial work-exp. Additionally, I have previously received a masters degree in Chemistry, my undergrad and grad scores are decent.

My GMAT prep story:

I had put in a good deal of personal effort since Jan, studying about 6 hrs/day. I work F/T, and have a young child. But I had compromised on my sleep and studied each day from 3.0 am to 9.0 am and most of the time on weekends. I had read up and revised all lthe material from Kaplan book, Barrons, PR, ETS Official guide, Arco. My prep test scores ranged from 640 to 680. On PPT I had scored 720, twice.

But at the official exam, I was taken aback with the Quant section, I saw very tough questions, much tougher than in any of the prep books/materials.

Verbal seemed much easier, so the low scores are surprising. I thought I had no problems with the SC, or CR, I will acknowledge I found RC tougher, passages were long and answer choices ambigous. I ran a bit out of time and had to rush thru the last 10 questions.

If I have to repeat GMAT, what are the proven suggested strategies, you would advise and what minimum duration would yeild me the expected results.

My $0.2 for all preparing for the GMAT:

DO NOT BUY THE ETS prep book. It is a waste of $40. It is far easier than what shows up on the test- especially for Quant. I knew the book cover to cover, each question, and look where it got me!

Thanks
:(

The trick to using the OG is not recognizing the questions, especially in the Q section. The key is understanding the principles behind each Q problem and learning to apply those principles to other situations.

I have said this over and over again. The worst way to study is to do a zillion problems and simply check to see if they are correct. Unfortunationely, this is the way most people study.

IMO, the proper way to study is to do each problem, then if you get it correct, ask yourself if you truly understand the solution to the problem. Ask yourself, is there another way you can look at it to make it simpler? Do you use the best method? What if something changed? Could you handle the problem? If you get it wrong, ask yourself, why did I get it wrong? Is this something I should work on more? How does this problem differ from another problem that I got right the last time? How do I recognize the difference? Why does this formula not apply is this situation, but to another situation? Can I explain it to someone else in my own words?

After this exhausting dialog with yourself, you must be truly satisfied that you understand the problem backwards and forwards. Then move on to the next problem.

This should get you to the 700's. If you want to go higher, I believe you need to be exposed to harder problems AFTER you have mastered the basic principles so that you can now apply your newly learned art of problem solving at a higher level. Kaplan 800 is a decent source for moderately difficult problems, a good LSAT book is good for tough CR and RC questions, and MGMAT has a nice source of "quite difficult" Q problems. Forums such as this have many good problems too.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Does this put me out of the running?- Low GMAT score ! [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts