Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 211
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
Gmat material [#permalink]
Kudos
Fiosama wrote:
Hey i have bought the Official Guide Bundle 2021 with all six official practice exams. Is this enough or should I get the Manhattan 7 edition with the online access and the CATs in addition?

Hey Fiosama
Since you have already bought the OG's I would suggest you practice it and try finishing the quant in a week or 2 and the same with Verbal and take a mock test to check where your score stands, and later on decide what to do.
I personally had to go through other books to understand many concepts which are not mentioned in the OG. However, you need not buy additional material you might just get most material here on Gmat club.

Originally posted by Nums99 on 02 Aug 2020, 19:04.
Last edited by Nums99 on 03 Aug 2020, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Gmat material [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Fiosama,

It sounds like you're just starting out your studies. Is that true? Have you done any studying so far?

If you're just beginning, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can access 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a bit of practice first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the general content and question types first, then that's fine - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

The OG books are great sources for practice questions, but they're not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials. To that end, you might want to work on the OG a little later on in your studies.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Nums99 wrote:
Fiosama wrote:
Hey i have bought the Official Guide Bundle 2021 with all six official practice exams. Is this enough or should I get the Manhattan 7 edition with the online access and the CATs in addition?

Hey Fiosama
Since you have already bought the OG's I would suggest you practice it and try finishing the quant in a week or 2 and the same with Verbal and take a mock test to check where your score stands, and later on decide what to do.
I personally had to go through other books to understand many concepts which are not mentioned in the OG. However, you need not buy additional material you might just get most material here on Gmat club.

Kudos Please Cheers!

Bro, are we allowed to even ask for kudos...these people have made it a crime to mention about kudos too.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
First of all thank you guys for the quick replies and that very helpful Forum in general.
I haven't done anything so far for the GMAT. I have ordered my materials and will take the initial Cat in the next days to get a start score and build up on it. Still I can say that my weak area is verbal since English isn't my mother language.
I got about full 13 Weeks and plan to study around 8h per day in order to take the Gmat at the Beginning of November and achieve a score about 650-680.
I will apply next year for an MBA in Germany and some in Europe.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Fiosama wrote:
First of all thank you guys for the quick replies and that very helpful Forum in general.
I haven't done anything so far for the GMAT. I have ordered my materials and will take the initial Cat in the next days to get a start score and build up on it. Still I can say that my weak area is verbal since English isn't my mother language.
I got about full 13 Weeks and plan to study around 8h per day in order to take the Gmat at the Beginning of November and achieve a score about 650-680.

Hi Fiosama, it would be great if you could give a short background of your profile and where you are from to better understand your target. You should be targeting a 700+ score if you have 2-3 months with a solid 150 hour plan. It is pretty much achievable.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
To my Person im 23 years old and from Germany. Also im in my last Semester for my Bachelor Degree in Economics. I got really nothing to do for the next 2/3 months and im willing to put much effort in the Gmat (600 hours+ study plan). To achieve the possible score with your help guys.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Fiosama wrote:
To my Person im 23 years old and from Germany. Also im in my last Semester for my Bachelor Degree in Economics. I got really nothing to do for the next 2/3 months and im willing to put much effort in the Gmat (600 hours+ study plan). To achieve the possible score with your help guys.

This is great. If you have the time, make smart use of it any where between 200-250 hours concentrated effort should be sufficient. Focus on creating a 3 months study plan with about 6-7 weeks of prep and the latter half of 6-7 weeks of mock + analysis.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Fiosama,

I think you are pretty set with the 6 official practice exams. When do you plan to take the actual GMAT?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Fiosama,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so with an early-November Test Date, you have given yourself a nice block of potential study time. Going forward, you have to be careful about confusing "quantity" of study with "quality" of study. I have never asked anyone to study 40+ hours a week - and while it's great that you might have the available time to study that much, with that number of study hours, you would run the risk of 'burning out' before Test Day (and that is something that we want to avoid). If you are going to try to study that much, then I suggest that you take one hour "off" for every two hours of study. For example, you could study for 2 hours, then stop for an hour, then study for another 2 hours, then take an hour off, etc.

Once you have your first CAT/mock Score, you should post back here (or you can feel free to PM me directly) and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Fiosama wrote:

Better start by writing an official mock test. Since you are studying, things must be afresh so you should be good to go.
Having only OGs won't help but see for yourself after the mock whether you are doing well. If not, know which section or sub-section you are weak at. Spend time on this forum as you will get to know about many things.

Comeback when you are done with the mock test 1 of GMATPrep.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Fiosama wrote:

Hi Fiosama,
If you are a beginner, I don't recommend starting your preparation using OG. OG is a great source for GMAT like questions. The ideal way to start your prep has to be to learn the concepts and strategies. If you start studying using OG, there are high chances that you will be stuck at the same score and again come back here to ask for advises. So, my suggestion would be to start studying using an online course which will help you learn the concepts and the methods. I personally was stuck at 570 even after taking a classroom coaching and studying using OG. I could only improve my score to 680 after studying using an online course. So, make sure you take the right decision now itself. All the best!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [1]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
OG bundles are the best material for study. You need to do all questions. Your will build your skill and get familiarity with gmat tone.

For Verbal, please read answer explanations in SC.

GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Fiosama wrote:

Hi,

First of all, it is good that you started seeking suggestions right before you start your preparation. This will save you a lot of time and effort. Most students generally start self-study using random resources and realize half-way through that they need to have a proper study plan and use a standard resource to score well on GMAT and then start seeking advises. Let me share my insights here on what could be the best plan for you.

Is it better to rely on random resources or a standard resource?

Most students start their GMAT preparation using OG and a few other study materials. While these are great resources for GMAT like questions, it is really important to ask whether just practicing questions would help you get a good score on GMAT. Most students realize it very late that GMAT is not just a test of concepts but a test of their application. To apply the concepts well, you need to learn the right approach to do that.

Below is the comparison of what you’ll probably do when you prepare using random resources and a standard one

Random resourcesStandard resource
Solve “N” number of questionsLearn the concepts and the methodology
Refer to vague solutionsRefer to detailed solutions
No change in approach and will be stuck at the same scoreA significant improvement can be achieved by referring to the step-by-step solutions and there by learning the right methodology

Why do I emphasize so much on using the right methodology?

GMAT is a one such test which focuses mainly on application of concepts rather than just concepts. So, to score well on GMAT, it is really important to use the right methodology to solve questions. If you have a misconception that GMAT just gives you questions which test your conceptual knowledge and remembering few formulae would help you solve them, then let me tell you the harsh truth. GMAT questions are very tricky and one would require a strong conceptual knowledge and right strategies to solve them. One has to perform a certain pre-analysis on the question stem to understand what is it that the question actually requires you to do. Only learning the right methodology to solve questions will help you do this process effectively. The same goes with Verbal. Each module on verbal (SC, CR and RC) has to be approached in a certain way.

For example, there is a misconception that SC questions test your knowledge of grammatical rules. But what GMAT actually tests is the ability to convey the right meaning without any ambiguity. So, it is really important to approach them from a meaning stand-point. Grammatical rules are helpful but only to some extent. You can find a few answer choices which are grammatically correct and also convey a logical meaning. But there is only one answer choice, which conveys the intended meaning. So, it is important to understand the meaning the sentence is trying to convey and identify the errors and then eliminate the answer choices which do not convey the intended meaning.

What differentiates an ordinary and extra-ordinary resource?

Way of teaching:

Even though, the concepts taught my most online courses are more or less the same, what differentiates them is the way they teach the concepts. There is a particular way of teaching concepts by which students learn the concepts along with the methodology required to solve the questions. And once they learn, it is important to apply that learning on a few GMAT like questions to solidify that learning.

Adaptability:

And not all students are capable of learning in one go. Students falter in a few topics and it is important to identify those areas and work on them. The course has to help students identify their weaker areas and provide a few improvement modules to work on them.

Study plan:

The most important thing that makes a course extra-ordinary is its ability to provide a personalized study plan. Students find it difficult to organize things and plan their studies accordingly. In their busy life, balancing work and studies becomes a hectic task. So, the course has to provide a proper study plan with clear deadlines so that students can focus just on finishing those weekly tasks assigned to them.

So, while looking for a course, make sure that you choose a course which provides you with all the above features. The best way to select the course is to check the free trial of the course and then decide whether it is suitable for you or not. There are plenty of online courses available, so, I would recommend to check the free trial of the courses you feel are suitable for you and then decide.

If you are open to suggestions, I would like you to take a check at the course of GMATWhiz.
  • It is one unique course which offers you the best quality content and employs an artificial intelligence driven learning.
  • It offers you a personalized study plan which is integrated with the course. The concept booster and practice quizzes after every concept video help you solve GMAT like questions using the right methodology.
  • It offers you real time improvement modules so that you can work on your weaker areas right away.

There are many more exciting features offered by the course. I would recommend you to check the free trial of GMATWhiz before taking the decision.
Hope it helped! If you have any more concerns regarding the GMAT preparation or wish to know more about study strategy, you can always write back or a better way would be to discuss over a call. You can schedule a free consultation call using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Bot