Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618818 [21]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [1]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [1]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Send PM
Re: The GMAT Math Pro logo is stuck on the highest ledge of a nine-story [#permalink]
nick1816 wrote:
Total number of ways
= 8C4=70

Bunuel wrote:

The GMAT Math Pro logo is stuck on the highest ledge of a nine-story building and must climb down to the single ledge on the bottom row to get to safety. Each move he makes must be to a ledge on the level immediately below him and to the immediate right or left of the ledge on which he’s currently standing. If all available ledges are pictured in the above diagram, how many paths can he take to get to safety?

A. 18
B. 70
C. 128
D. 256
E. 512

Attachment:
GMATLogoLedges.jpg

Can you explain further? Thanks a ton!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The GMAT Math Pro logo is stuck on the highest ledge of a nine-story [#permalink]
Bookmarks
metalhead2593 wrote:
nick1816 wrote:
Total number of ways
= 8C4=70

Bunuel wrote:

The GMAT Math Pro logo is stuck on the highest ledge of a nine-story building and must climb down to the single ledge on the bottom row to get to safety. Each move he makes must be to a ledge on the level immediately below him and to the immediate right or left of the ledge on which he’s currently standing. If all available ledges are pictured in the above diagram, how many paths can he take to get to safety?

A. 18
B. 70
C. 128
D. 256
E. 512

Attachment:
GMATLogoLedges.jpg

Can you explain further? Thanks a ton!

If you observe the image in the problem, there are a total of 8 steps that the person must take to reach the bottom-most ledge. At each stage of this 8 step journey, the person can take only 2 decisions, whether to go right or to go left. However, since the left and right sides are constrained, i.e. a person can take a maximum of 4 left side jumps and 4 right side jumps, we must arrange these 4 lefts and 4 rights in a total of 8 steps.
Mathematically, 8!/(4!x 4!) (division by 4! twice to account for 4 lefts and 4 rights, similar to how we use this approach in problems on arranging words in a series)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [4]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Kudos
I will try to give a good explanation here

So I will use the combinatorics method to demonstrate nick1816 method

To give you a clue on how we can count , I will assign L and R , meaning that Left and Right , if the guy chooses to go left , I will right L , if right i will write R

One path to reach the bottom is L(to 8th floor) , L(7th) , L(...) , L , R ,R ,R , R(bottom) (use the picture start from the top and then choose left for the first , second , third and fourth step , then you'll have only the right to go to the right bottom ( messing with your head a little).

so I will give you here a hint , all the paths to the bottom need to use 4 Left and 4 right (LRLLLRRR , LRLRLRLR....)
so this problem is a permutation one (Ah ha !!!!!!!!!!!)

since I have 8 choices and 4 repetitions in two sets .

number of roots = 8!/(4! * 4!)= 8C4 =70 Voila !!!!!!!!!!

E is the answer

(permutation rule , to arrange N letters for example , and you have A , B ,C letters repeted X, Y , Z times , then the number of words you can create from this list is N! / (X! * Y! * Z!)

You like the answer ? It's time for Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
The GMAT Math Pro logo is stuck on the highest ledge of a nine-story [#permalink]
This is going to be difficult to describe, but I’ll try my best.

If we count each “slot” as 1 unit, what we essentially have is a rhombus with 4 “slot-units” making up each side.

Shift the entire picture counterclockwise so that the stick man at the top is now in the bottom left corner.

The picture is then the “standard” picture in which the person can only travel East or North until he travels from the bottom-left corner to the upper-right corner of the figure.
However, instead of a perpendicular square, we have a bit of a “stretched” rhombus. The same logic still applies.

No matter which path you take, you will always be making 4 “Eastward” moves and 4 “Northward” moves.

E-E-E-E-N-N-N-N

Then just find the number of ways to arrange the 8 elements, of which 4 “E’s” are identical and 4 “N’s” are identical.

8! / (4! * 4!) = 70 ways

Clever way to alter the common question so as to make it more daunting. Great question!

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Whatever path one takes, to reach the single bottom ledge, one has to take 4 left ledges and 4 right ledges.

One of the ways will be LLLLRRRR.

The total number of paths will be all the arrangements of the above path.

Thus, the total number of paths = 8!/4!*4! = 8*7*6*5/4*3*2*1 = 70 ways.

Thus, the correct option is B.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts