Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618810 [16]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [3]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Economics, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools:
GPA: 3.75
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: A marine biologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute has colle [#permalink]
Kudos
A marine biologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute has collected specimens of several microscopic sea worms, ones that she believes are a species never before seen at close range.

A. that she believes are "that refers to ones incorrect "

B. that she believes them to be "to be a species is incorrect of should be used"

C. she believes that they are of "the use of that in between of the sentence distorts the meaning"

D. she believes that are "same as C"

E. she believes to be of "correct use of to be of"

IMO E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: A marine biologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute has colle [#permalink]
IMO E is correct.

she believes to be of
Usage of that is incorrect in options a,b,c,d

A marine biologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute has collected specimens of several microscopic sea worms, ones that she believes are a species never before seen at close range.

A. that she believes are

B. that she believes them to be

C. she believes that they are of

D. she believes that are

E. she believes to be of

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [1]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
Send PM
Kudos
A,B,D doesnt make sense in terms of meaning

Out of C,E .....C is wordy and E coneys the correct meaning

OA:E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Ans: E
Once modifies worms. So we can not use other pronoun. So we are left with only E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
A. that she believes are

D. she believes that are

E. she believes to be of

Choice A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GRE 1: Q158 V143
Send PM
PTD1995 wrote:
Option E

"Ones" modifies "worms" and consequently A and B are ruled out.
Answer C) has an ambiguous "they"
D) Seems that something is missing, and "that" is incorrect

Could you please explain if ones modifies warms than how A and B are ruled out........

PS: Please provide a thorough elimination for rejecting A and choosing E....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GRE 1: Q158 V143
Send PM
Kudos
Archit3110 wrote:
IMO E is correct.

she believes to be of

A. that she believes are

D. she believes that are

E. she believes to be of

Pls provide explanation of why usage of that is incorrect....

That is just providing a clause which gives more info about the worms... so why it is wrong.... I acknowledge the fact that believe to be is a correct idioms but there are several instances in which believe to be is no used.... so using believe to be as point of elimination is not correct at all
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
vishumangal wrote:
Archit3110 wrote:
IMO E is correct.

she believes to be of

A. that she believes are

D. she believes that are

E. she believes to be of

Pls provide explanation of why usage of that is incorrect....

That is just providing a clause which gives more info about the worms... so why it is wrong.... I acknowledge the fact that believe to be is a correct idioms but there are several instances in which believe to be is no used.... so using believe to be as point of elimination is not correct at all

The sentence has to end with "of" the specimens are not the species themselves. Only option C and E gives us that, C has the word "they" which makes it ambiguous, hence we chose E which conveys the correct meaning of the sentence.

In SC focus on the meaning too, pure grammar elimination is not advisable, especially for 700+ questions, there will always be traps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Competition Mode Question

A. that she believes are

D. she believes that are

E. she believes to be of

Hi Bunuel,

Could you please also share the OE for this? I believe the term 'ones' is referring to 'specimens of several microscopic sea worms' and therefore option E makes sense. Just want to be 100% sure in my understanding.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.72
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
IMO E

1. ones refer to the sea worms. Using them and they to refer to sea worms again is redundant. So B and C are out.

2. As per intended meaning , the biologist thinks of those worms as rare species, not that they are rare species in general

A. that she believes are
>>The sea worms are not a species by themselves . They belong to a species. Eliminate tgis.

D. she believes that are

>> that is modifying what here? It modifies the closest noun and here it's referring to she ?? No clear referrant. So eliminate this.

E. she believes to be of
>>Idiomatically correct .

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
A marine biologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute has colle [#permalink]
GMATNinja

Will you pls help in understanding why A is wrong.

Sea worms could be called out here a species never before seen at close range.

In option E "Ones" looks to be referring to specimen. So I don't debate on its validity , as "of" at the end make sense.

But in original sentence "Ones" is very likely to be referring to sea worms and Option A looks correct from meaning and grammar point of view.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
A marine biologist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute has colle [#permalink]

A. that she believes are
I'm not totally certain why this is wrong. Two things I can think of:
1) "believes are" should be "believes to be" because of the idiom. I'm not sure because "are" is a conjugated version of "to be."
2) "ones" can't be a species, but they can be "of a species"

Extra pronoun "them." The object of she believes is already "ones"

Extra pronoun "they". Even if you kept the extra pronoun, it should be "ones". Idiom error with "believes that"

D. she believes that are
Idiom error. Correct usage is "believes to be".

E. she believes to be of
CORRECT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Hello expert,
I went with A and there is no OE for this question. I think E shouldn’t omit “that”.
Hope you get involved. Thanks.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,
I went with A and there is no OE for this question. I think E shouldn’t omit “that”.

Hello, Mavisdu1017. I cannot provide the OE, but the OA is correct.

Quote:

A. that she believes are

D. she believes that are

E. she believes to be of

The reason that that can be omitted in answer choice (E) is that ones is used as a pronoun just prior to she believes, and that, when it is used to mark the beginning of a relative clause, is also a pronoun. There is no need to stack pronouns.

I would like to say that the question is well constructed, but it is, unfortunately, an altered official question from older editions of the OG. Compare:

Quote:
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

(A) that they believe is
(B) that they believe it to be
(C) they believe that it is of
(D) they believe that is
(E) they believe to be of

I am not sure who writes these competition questions, but I hope they discontinue plagiarizing copyrighted material. Giving a sentence a few different words and testing the same concepts in the same manner as the original does not produce a legitimate question. I offer the same advice I give at the end of many of my posts: stick to official questions for Verbal practice.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,

Hello, Mavisdu1017. I cannot provide the OE, but the OA is correct.

Quote:

A. that she believes are

D. she believes that are

E. she believes to be of

The reason that that can be omitted in answer choice (E) is that ones is used as a pronoun just prior to she believes, and that, when it is used to mark the beginning of a relative clause, is also a pronoun. There is no need to stack pronouns.

I would like to say that the question is well constructed, but it is, unfortunately, an altered official question from older editions of the OG. Compare:

Quote:
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

(A) that they believe is
(B) that they believe it to be
(C) they believe that it is of
(D) they believe that is
(E) they believe to be of

I am not sure who writes these competition questions, but I hope they discontinue plagiarizing copyrighted material. Giving a sentence a few different words and testing the same concepts in the same manner as the original does not produce a legitimate question. I offer the same advice I give at the end of many of my posts: stick to official questions for Verbal practice.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

AndrewN hello expert, much thanks for your fast response. And could you illuminate why A is wrong? Is “ believe to be” an idiom? Thanks.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
AndrewN hello expert, much thanks for your fast response. And could you illuminate why A is wrong? Is “ believe to be” an idiom? Thanks.

It has to do with the context of the sentence, Mavisdu1017. In the sentences above, both the species/type and the belief are tentative. That is, the belief is not a conviction that something is true, but is speculative in nature. Also, the belief is that the sea worm, to focus on just one question, may be a member of a previously unseen or unstudied (at least, at close range) species, not that the organism is a never-before-seen-at-close-range species. In the sentence, The biologist believes that the sea worms are a species never before seen, we have to ask ourselves, How is the biologist convinced that the sea worms belong to a new species? By contrast, in the sentence, The biologist believes the sea worms to be of a species never before seen, the speculative nature of the belief comes through. In the question at hand, the stacked pronouns in (A) (ones that), combined with the conflicting information surrounding this belief—is it more grounded (are a species) or speculative (never before seen)?—give us a few reasons to doubt that it is the best way to convey the idea. In (E), the picture is more consistent, the belief speculative, through and through—believes to be of a species never before seen...

That said, this is a quite nuanced question that hinges more on meaning, a question that I would not worry too much about. You are unlikely to see another like it for every 500 questions you study.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:

It has to do with the context of the sentence, Mavisdu1017. In the sentences above, both the species/type and the belief are tentative. That is, the belief is not a conviction that something is true, but is speculative in nature. Also, the belief is that the sea worm, to focus on just one question, may be a member of a previously unseen or unstudied (at least, at close range) species, not that the organism is a never-before-seen-at-close-range species. In the sentence, The biologist believes that the sea worms are a species never before seen, we have to ask ourselves, How is the biologist convinced that the sea worms belong to a new species? By contrast, in the sentence, The biologist believes the sea worms to be of a species never before seen, the speculative nature of the belief comes through. In the question at hand, the stacked pronouns in (A) (ones that), combined with the conflicting information surrounding this belief—is it more grounded (are a species) or speculative (never before seen)?—give us a few reasons to doubt that it is the best way to convey the idea. In (E), the picture is more consistent, the belief speculative, through and through—believes to be of a species never before seen...

That said, this is a quite nuanced question that hinges more on meaning, a question that I would not worry too much about. You are unlikely to see another like it for every 500 questions you study.

- Andrew

Thanks for your inputing. This kind of question is really perplexed, but thanks to it rarely appears.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts