Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [20]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [5]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [1]
Send PM
Re: Reading many chivalric romances inspire the novel's protagonist to [#permalink]
Kudos
@Daagh/Generis/GMATNinja/GMATNinja Two/AjiteshArun or any other experts: Can anyone please throw some lights on the below rule.

Surveys indicate that the percentage of young Italians who are unemployed has, for over a decade, remained stubbornly high despite government taken measures meant to improve young people's job prospects. (correct sentence)

According to my understanding of SC rule, third form of verb can not be used alone without 'to be' verb. However, in the above example, taken is used without to be form of verb.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Re: Reading many chivalric romances inspire the novel's protagonist to [#permalink]
Can someone please explain why answer choice A is not correct ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [2]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
hahaha - what on earth is that question? I've seen hundreds of questions but I've read that one more than twice and could not find one suitable answer. To me, all of the answer choices are flawed.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [0]
Send PM
AyushiBedi11 wrote:
Can someone please explain why answer choice A is not correct ?

In A, subject, reading, is singular and verb to the subject, inspire, is plural. So, verb does not agrees with subject. Hence, A is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
What made D a wrong choice and reason why C is best choice and conveyed intended meaning
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
Send PM
Reading many chivalric romances inspire the novel's protagonist to [#permalink]
All the options seem awkward to me. I had chosen D as the answer. Can someone please explain why C is correct?

Originally posted by dhruvagrawal on 09 Aug 2020, 22:59.
Last edited by dhruvagrawal on 03 Jul 2021, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
This is a tricky question where a lot of options (including the correct answer) are worded a bit awkwardly. However, this is a good exercise to remember that "awkward wording" is one of the last criteria to rule out answer options, and that too only in the event of another clearly worded option with no other errors being present. Let us look at the question here:

Reading many chivalric romances inspire the novel's protagonist to reimagine himself as the knight-errant Don and seek adventure in the name of love and honor.

A) Reading many chivalric romances inspire the novel's protagonist The verb "inspire" is being applied to a singular subject "protagonist" and hence needs to be in singular form, "inspires". Eliminate.

B) The novel's protagonist inspires from reading many chivalric romances The use of "inspires" is incorrect since it implies that the protagonist acts to inspire someone else and not himself. Eliminate.

C) The protagonist of the novel's reading many chivalric romances inspires him While this too is awkwardly worded, there are no obvious errors and appears an acceptable option at this stage. We should hold on to this at this point.

D) By reading many chivalric romances inspires the novel's protagonist Beginning this sentence with "By" is redundant since the sentence goes on to state that reading inspires the protagonist. Eliminate.

E) His reading of many chivalric romances inspire the novel's protagonist Same error as (A). Eliminate.

Given that all options except (C) have obvious grammatical errors, we should go with option (C) despite its awkward wording.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 319
Send PM
Dear GMATNinja, Magoosh team, sayantanc2k, EMPOWERgmatVerbal,

Sorry to bother you. But it will be a great help if you can help with the explanation.

Regards!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 662
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.06
Send PM
A's reading many novels inspires him to ... awkward phrasing but it's not wrong I guess.

Here, A = protagonist of the novel.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 662
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.06
Send PM
Reading many chivalric romances inspire the novel's protagonist to [#permalink]
Kudos
(A's) Reading many novels inspires him to ... awkward phrasing but it's not wrong I guess.

Here, A = protagonist of the novel.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.88
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Please help me understand this
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Poor quality question - I don't think any of the answers fit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
In the second half of the sentence, “and seek adventure ....” , there is a plural verb “seek” which requires a parallel plural verb in the underlined part of the sentence. So according to me none of the choices make sense.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 425
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Raxit85 wrote:
Reading many chivalric romances inspire the novel's protagonist to reimagine himself as the knight-errant Don and seek adventure in the name of love and honor.

A) Reading many chivalric romances inspire the novel's protagonist
B) The novel's protagonist inspires from reading many chivalric romances
C) The protagonist of the novel's reading many chivalric romances inspires him
D) By reading many chivalric romances inspires the novel's protagonist
E) His reading of many chivalric romances inspire the novel's protagonist

mikemcgarry, could you please dissect this uncanny mutation of a question?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts