Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618772 [55]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [11]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: Fifty-two percent of United States high school graduates go on to coll [#permalink]
Isn’t the idiom “compare to” not “compare with”??

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Re: Fifty-two percent of United States high school graduates go on to coll [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nermeendhuca wrote:
Isn’t the idiom “compare to” not “compare with”??

Posted from my mobile device

Hello, nermeendhuca. Either usage is fine, as this Daily Writing Tips post attests, with references to multiple style guides. In fact, compared with seems more appropriate in the sentence above, since the emphasis may be on the difference or gap between 52 percent and 15 percent.

I hope you enjoy that post. Thank you for posing a question that will shine light on yet another arcane matter in English grammar. It really helps the community.

- Andrew
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Expert Reply
shameekv1989 wrote:
Can Verb-ed modifier "compared" be used in this fashion? Wouldn't it be modifying "college".

I would prefer D even though the sentence is written horribly.

Kindly explain the use of "compared" and what's wrong in D

Shameek -

I hit the jackpot tonight when someone indirectly drew my attention to this post that addresses your question perfectly. Spoiler: it appears as though the Manhattan Prep SC guide lists this very situation as an exception to the general -ed modifier "touch" rule. (I outlined it above in my earlier post, but it is nice to see that MGMAT adopts the same position.)

Happy reading.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Fifty-two percent of United States high school graduates go on to coll [#permalink]
Hello AndrewN sir

I was reading your explanations of verb+ed concept in other posts and was re-directed to this question . Undoubtedly , You have explained well this question.

When I treid to solve this question , my eyes went for Singular/plural splits. I have heard that % can be singular /plural.
% of milk IS xyz
% of cars are uvw
Am I right up to this point?

With the same thought, Do you think i can split on the basis of S/P verb ? Can i reject D and E on similar lines?

Quote:
(A) Fifty-two percent of United States high school graduates go on to college, compared with Canada’s thirty-five percent and Great Britain, Japan, and West Germany’s fifteen percent.
(B) Fifty-two percent of United States high school graduates go on to college; in Canada it is thirty-five percent and in Great Britain, Japan, and West Germany it is fifteen percent.
(C) In the United States, fifty-two percent of high school graduates go on to college, compared with thirty-five percent in Canada and fifteen percent in Great Britain, Japan, and West Germany.
(D) The percentage of high school graduates in the United States who go on to college is fifty-two, compared with Canada’s thirty-five percent, Great Britain’s fifteen, Japan’s fifteen, and West Germany’s fifteen.
(E) The percentage of United States high school graduates going on to college is fifty-two that in Canada is thirty-five, and that in Great Britain, Japan, and West Germany is fifteen.

Did I overthink something? Your suggestions please
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [3]
Fifty-two percent of United States high school graduates go on to coll [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Hello AndrewN sir

I was reading your explanations of verb+ed concept in other posts and was re-directed to this question . Undoubtedly , You have explained well this question.

When I treid to solve this question , my eyes went for Singular/plural splits. I have heard that % can be singular /plural.
% of milk IS xyz
% of cars are uvw
Am I right up to this point?

With the same thought, Do you think i can split on the basis of S/P verb ? Can i reject D and E on similar lines?

Quote:
(A) Fifty-two percent of United States high school graduates go on to college, compared with Canada’s thirty-five percent and Great Britain, Japan, and West Germany’s fifteen percent.
(B) Fifty-two percent of United States high school graduates go on to college; in Canada it is thirty-five percent and in Great Britain, Japan, and West Germany it is fifteen percent.
(C) In the United States, fifty-two percent of high school graduates go on to college, compared with thirty-five percent in Canada and fifteen percent in Great Britain, Japan, and West Germany.
(D) The percentage of high school graduates in the United States who go on to college is fifty-two, compared with Canada’s thirty-five percent, Great Britain’s fifteen, Japan’s fifteen, and West Germany’s fifteen.
(E) The percentage of United States high school graduates going on to college is fifty-two that in Canada is thirty-five, and that in Great Britain, Japan, and West Germany is fifteen.

Did I overthink something? Your suggestions please

Hello, mSKR. You can certainly create a split between answer choices that opt for a plural agreement and those that go for a singular agreement, but such a split will not lead anywhere on this particular question. Either construct is fine. I agree with what sssanskaar has posted above about articles and subject-verb agreement with certain objects of a preposition. To generalize, you should know by now that in most cases, the noun prior to the preposition—of is biggest offender when subject-verb agreement is being tested—dictates agreement. With certain counting words—e.g., percent, number—the noun ahead of the preposition does not dictate agreement, but the article does instead. Compare:

1) A number of coins are being removed from circulation, since they cost more to mint than their face value.

2) The number of coins being removed from circulation is justifiable, since they cost more to mint than their face value.

The issue is brought to bear in another difficult question I posted on, here. I hope it helps add some clarity to your approach.

Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos