Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [18]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [6]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [2]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
Send PM
Re: In 2013, more than three times as many serious automobile accidents we [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:
In 2013, more than three times as many serious automobile accidents were caused by drivers under the age of 20 than over it.

A) than

B) than caused

C) than were caused

D) than had been caused

E) than there were caused

I am going to go with A.

"...serious automobile accidents were caused by drivers..." (1) under the age of 20....(2) over the age of 20

The comparison is between these 2 age groups. "A" clearly shows that

Originally posted by Shrey08 on 11 Aug 2020, 23:16.
Last edited by Shrey08 on 11 Aug 2020, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [3]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: In 2013, more than three times as many serious automobile accidents we [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In 2013, more than three times as many serious automobile accidents were caused by drivers under the age of 20 than over it.

Analysis:
Comparison: Accidents caused by drivers under the age of 20 vs Accidents caused by drivers over the age of 20
Timeline of comparison: In 2013 ( Both events were from 2013. No need to change tense)
Marker: more..than

A) than

=> many serious automobile accidents were caused by drivers under the age of 20 than many serious automobile accidents were caused by drivers over the age of 20.
=> Ellipsis: many serious automobile accidents were caused by drivers under the age of 20 than over the age of 20
=> Concise: many serious automobile accidents were caused by drivers under the age of 20 than over it ( the pronoun 'it' replaces the noun phrase 'the age of 20'

B) than caused

=> Incorrect construction: many serious automobile accidents were caused by drivers under the age of 20 than caused over the age of 20 ( we have chance to eliminate the whole common part 'many serious automobile accidents were caused by drivers'. So, why do we need to use caused in this case )

C) than were caused

=> same error as in B

D) than had been caused

=> Both events happened in 2013. Need to use simple past for both events. No need to use past perfect

=> same error as in B
=> The use of 'there ' is unnecessary here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 298
Send PM
Kudos
IMO A is the best choice.

Here we are comparing the ages of the drivers.
We will require than.

A) than

Correct.
It correctly compares the age of drivers.

B) than caused
Incorrect.
than caused what?Accidents .
No,we are comparing ages here.
This distorts the meaning of the sentence.

C) than were caused
Incorrect
Distorts the meaning as in B using a different tense won't change a thing.

D) than had been caused
Incorrect.
Sameas C

Incorrect
Same as C.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos

A) than
here, "than" is correctly used to compare between drivers under the age of 20 and over the age of 20. Also, saying "than over it" is not ambiguous since we only have "age" as a singular noun here, so "it" can only refer to age.
B) than caused

C) than were caused

D) than had been caused

Answers B, C, D and E just sound wrong mainly because it makes the sentence sound very unclear. Unfortunately, I am not able to specifically disect every answer and state why each of these are wrong. However, it is clear in D that "had been" is unnecessary because we are are comparing statistics of two different age groups gathered from the same years.

My answer here is A. I noticed often times that with these type of SC, the most simple answer is usually the right one.

Also, can anyone explain why in this context, saying "THAN" in the end is correct? I saw many examples in which the correct structure would be e.g. "Mike likes to eat more than three as many cookies AS Maria". How come in this GMAT question, we are using THAN instead?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

A) than

B) than caused

C) than were caused

D) than had been caused

IMO A is the correct answer.

This question compares "under the age of 20" and "over it". "Over it" here means over the age of 20. Therefore the original sentence is correct.

I eliminate other options from B to E because they are all unclear in meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
The two parallel comparisons here would be under the age of 20 and over the age of 20.

A) than - Concise. Correct.

B) than caused - Incorrect.

C) than were caused - Incorrect.

D) than had been caused - 'had' is wrong. Incorrect.

E) than there were caused - 'there' is awkward. Incorrect.

Hence, the answer is Option (A).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
A) than

B) than caused : doesn't make sense, "than caused over it?"

C) than were caused:Same doesn't make sense

D) than had been caused: totally senseless

E) than there were caused: againnn a meaningless choice

Hence A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
Kudos

POE:
Stop sign- more than, it is a comparison question. We are comparing ages here.
Eliminate (B), (C), (D) & (E).

A) than - CORRECT|

B) than caused

C) than were caused

D) than had been caused

Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
generis, what is the source of this question? I found a similar question in Erica L Meltzer's GMAT SC guide. She structures the question a tad bit differently though: In 2013, more than three times as many serious automobile accidents were caused by drivers under the age of 20 than over it. (pg 113, 'updated for 2021' edition). She then gives the following answer choices :

A) than
B) than caused
c) than were caused
d) than there were caused
e) than had been caused.

Her answer is A. But I think there is something odd about it. I think it should be "as over it", because "three times as many...as" seems to be the right construction. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts