Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [19]
Given Kudos: 243
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: The average salary of the legally employed population in the country [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
akankshathareja wrote:
GMATNinja Could you please help me understand why A is not the right choice, and why E is?

As per the argument, "the manufacturing industry employs an increasing share of the employable population" - This means that manufacturing industry has been hiring the most, which is exactly what (A) states.

Also, (E) puts forth a very strong claim that the average salary would have been less than 43k per annum - It could be possible that if the growth in salaries in manufacturing industry were not that much, MANY other industries with small number of employees with high raises would have a generated an average of 43k. The argument mentions that the manufacturing industry had a big role to play for its share of hires. Nowhere in the passage is mentioned that other industries would not have been able to give big hikes (even if small in count).

Thanks in advance!

Hi Akanksha

Let me try to address your query. Let us focus on the portion of the passage that you have highlighted: "the manufacturing industry employs an increasing share of the employable population".

Contrary to what you have stated, this does not have to mean that the manufacturing industry has been hiring the most. This only means that the proportion of population employed in manufacturing today is more than it was five years ago. It is possible that some other industry has also increased its share, and that too more than manufacturing. The passage does not rule this out. Additionally, option (A) does not state that manufacturing has been hiring the most, either. It only states that manufacturing employs more people than any other industry, for which there is no basis in the passage. Hence option (A) is incorrect.

The passage does not state that manufacturing has had "a big role" to play in the salary increase - it only states that it has had a part to play ("This increase is, at least in part, because of the manufacturing industry..."). We do not know to what extent this industry has influenced this increase in salary.

Hope this clarifies your doubt.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
The average salary of the legally employed population in the country [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
The average salary of the legally employed population in the country has gone up from USD 30,000 per annum to USD 43,000 per annum in the last five years. Even after accounting for inflation over these years, this rise is substantial. This increase is, at least in part, because of the manufacturing industry which employs an increasing share of the employable population.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the passage above?

Pre-thinking:

The average salary has increased over the last five years, and the manufacturing industry has contributed to this increase. Therefore, the average salary in the manufacturing industry has also increased. Additionally, more people are employed in manufacturing today than there were five years ago. With this in mind, let us examine the answer choices.

A. The manufacturing industry is the biggest employer in the country. We only know that the manufacturing industry employs more people today than it did five years ago. It is possible that some other industry employs a greater proportion of the legally employed population than manufacturing. This is not ruled out by the passage. Eliminate.

B. The legally employable population has increased in the last five years. The passage only gives us information about the proportion of population employed in manufacturing and nothing about the absolute number of people employed. Eliminate.

C. Industries other than manufacturing have not increased their employees salaries in the last five years. We know nothing about any other industries. Eliminate.

D. The average salary rise in industries other than manufacturing is lower than that in manufacturing. We do not know this. We know that manufacturing has played "a part" in the increase in average salaries. It is entirely possible that other industries have increased salaries more than manufacturing. Eliminate.

E. If it were not for the growth in the salaries in the manufacturing industry, the average salary would have been less than 43,000 per annum today. Correct answer. Since there has been an increase in salaries in manufacturing ("This increase is, at least in part, because of the manufacturing industry..."), an absence of this increase would mean average salaries would be lower than they are now.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: The average salary of the legally employed population in the country [#permalink]
I might be wrong, but I've read somewhere that if a stimuli mentions numbers, there is a high chance that the answer will contain numbers as well. Don't take my word for it though - just thought I should mention it.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
E. If it were not for the growth in the salaries in the manufacturing industry, the average salary would have been less than 43,000 per annum today. Correct answer. Since there has been an increase in salaries in manufacturing ("This increase is, at least in part, because of the manufacturing industry..."), an absence of this increase would mean average salaries would be lower than they are now.

But that's not what the question says. The question says the average salary in the country has increased, and it says that the proportion of people employed in manufacturing has increased. It doesn't say that any individual salary has increased at all, and nowhere says that manufacturing job salaries increased. It might just be that, say, every other job pays $30,000 per year, and manufacturing jobs pay $43,000 per year. Maybe no one was employed in manufacturing five years ago, and now everyone is. There's no need for any salaries to change at all.

So when I read answer E: "If it were not for the growth in the salaries in the manufacturing industry, the average salary would have been less than 43,000 per annum today", I'm led to ask "what growth in those salaries?" The stem doesn't mention anywhere that manufacturing salaries grew. Naturally, if manufacturing salaries did increase over the last five years, then if you take that increase away, and leave everything else unchanged, the average goes down. But that would be true no matter what sector you were talking about -- if you make some numbers in your set smaller, you decrease the average. The answer would be just as valid an inference if it talked about retail job salaries, assuming those increased. So if the stem did mention increased salaries in manufacturing, E would be true, but for no other reason than that's how math works; none of the information in the stem would be important. But as written, I don't see how E is a correct inference when it seems to be asking us to infer that a salary increase occurred that we have no reason to believe actually did occur.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
thinkvision wrote:
The average salary of the legally employed population in the country has gone up from USD 30,000 per annum to USD 43,000 per annum in the last five years. Even after accounting for inflation over these years, this rise is substantial. This increase is, at least in part, because of the manufacturing industry which employs an increasing share of the employable population.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the passage above?

A. The manufacturing industry is the biggest employer in the country.
B. The legally employable population has increased in the last five years.
C. Industries other than manufacturing have not increased their employees salaries in the last five years.
D. The average salary rise in industries other than manufacturing is lower than that in manufacturing.
E. If it were not for the growth in the salaries in the manufacturing industry, the average salary would have been less than 43,000 per annum today.

But hey,
the author doesn't say anything about increased avg salary in the manufacturing industry. It says it is because of the increased share of the employable population.

Consider, the previously avg salary in the manufacturing industry was 60,000. As avg salary for all was 30,000, there must be some employees earning less than 30,000. Now, the manufacturing industry hires some of these low-earning employees at 40,000, which is still much lower than the manufacturing industry's average. This is what happens in this case:
1) Manufacturing industry now employs an increased share of the employable population. And overall average salary increases. (Satisfies the question's condition)
2) Average salary of the manufacturing industry goes down. (Contradicts the option E)

E should be wrong
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts