Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks to all for your insight

could you give me some details on your recomendations? why those other companies (personal experience, reputation etc)?

what was your friend's "bad experience" with Stacy all about?

thanks

cheers
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
lxa wrote:
thanks to all for your insight

could you give me some details on your recomendations? why those other companies (personal experience, reputation etc)?

what was your friend's "bad experience" with Stacy all about?

thanks

cheers

I spent an hour on the phone with mbaexchange months ago just talking about my experience and school choice, hearing them pitch how they go about it. Frankly, I was impressed. The amount of information I got in that hour was astronomical and helpful. I didn't hire them in the end because, well, frankly, I didn't think I needed one, but they seemed extremely competent. I got hte impression they would be most useful to non native speakers who are likely going to write piss poor essays full of run on sentences like this one that go nowhere and mean very little and confuse hte adcom and something else cause this is supposed ot be a run on sentence so I should keep typing. I know two people that have used them and they both swear up and down they are excellent.

In the end, I'd evalute the following when deciding whether or not to engage someone:

1) How weak is your app?
2) Do you have stories you can use for the weak areas?
3) Do you know what the definition of leadership is? Teamwork? Sensitivity? Ethics? And I don't mean just a one sentence definition. I mean, you could talk for a good 20 minutes about each of these and relate them to your personal experiences.
4) How strong or weak are your writing and/or english skills?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Along the same lines, I would consider carefully what you expect to get out of the consultation and how a given firm can (realistically) meet these expectations.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for all your insight. Your advice was very valuble and based on it I decided to go with MBAExchange. I hope that it will turn well for me. The only thing that worries me is that it takes them on average 2-3 days to write me back a response, were as other companies do it in 1 day. Well, maybe thats because they are good and have that many clients.

I will write posts from time to time on the forum to let others know who maybe in similar situation to mine how the process is going and if it is/was a worthy investment.

As to why I want to use a consulting firm? Well, I preatty much have to do the MBA in fall 07 or forget about it for many years (or ever). I am suppose to come back to my home country in few years to take over family business, so I dont have much time. I have good stats (750, 3.9, plenty of community service and extracur. leadership), but not much work experience (just graduated in may, other than 3-4 high level internships with international work experience). I also have a strong anwser to "Why MBA" , "Why Now" and long term goals assesment. Because I am only interested in getting an MBA from a ultra elite/elite school, I want to maximize my chances by employing professionals. I think in my case it makes sense.

Any thoughts
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ixa, your profile looks very similar to me. What are your dream schools?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hbs, stanford, wharton, chicago

but i am applying hbs, stanford, chicago, columbia (the "will extremely hard category")

and duke, michigan, darden, cornell, ucla, berkley (more realistic)

and if not then Master of Finance in UK (Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, hopelly one of them)

what about you? what are your schools?
what is your profile...situation, why MBA now?

cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
There is a fairly new upcoming company i think...i say new coz they have changed their website a few times recently. My friend who got into NYU took their essay edit services... https://www.bestessayservice.com
Plus i think their rates are good....i have yet to email them (though I know a couple of ppl there) and ask my specifics.....but i am pretty much done with my essays for most universities anyways...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
lxa wrote:
hbs, stanford, wharton, chicago

but i am applying hbs, stanford, chicago, columbia (the "will extremely hard category")

and duke, michigan, darden, cornell, ucla, berkley (more realistic)

and if not then Master of Finance in UK (Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, hopelly one of them)

what about you? what are your schools?
what is your profile...situation, why MBA now?

cheers

Wait your applying to hbs, stanford, chicago, columbia, duke, michigan, darden, cornell, ucla and berkeley? and maybe Oxford, Cambridge and LSE?

Thats waaaay too many schools unless you happen to have a spare 1000 hours.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know...dozens schools or so...but in general I am planning on working very lightly next couple months, and I decided that I will limit my other activities to zero...so I am hoping to get all of them done (beside LSE, Oxford, Cambridge offer MS in Finance, and their applications are almost the same)

As to the MBA programs I will divide them into pairs of two (given similarities in esseys/school profiles) and will get a consulting firm to help me with 5 applications, and the other 5 I will more less copy what I have done for the previous ones. I am preatty much giving away my "life" for the next 3 months to get this done, because I need to get in.

Any thoughts? How many schools is everyone else applying to?

Cheers
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
lxa wrote:
I know...dozens schools or so...but in general I am planning on working very lightly next couple months, and I decided that I will limit my other activities to zero...so I am hoping to get all of them done (beside LSE, Oxford, Cambridge offer MS in Finance, and their applications are almost the same)

As to the MBA programs I will divide them into pairs of two (given similarities in esseys/school profiles) and will get a consulting firm to help me with 5 applications, and the other 5 I will more less copy what I have done for the previous ones. I am preatty much giving away my "life" for the next 3 months to get this done, because I need to get in.

Any thoughts? How many schools is everyone else applying to?

Cheers

I dont know, I don't think its that easy - especially not now. A lot of deadlines are not that far away, and it's common knowledge that R3's tend to be a "bad" time to apply. The consultants will help you craft essays that answer the questions that have been asked - but it wont do you much good to copy and paste. Honestly, once you start doing this, you'll see just how much work it is to craft a quality response. Yes, there's some elements you can borrow across schools - but were usually talking a paragraph or two, and the rest needs to change. At the very least, prioritize your list on deadline dates or preference so if you do run out of time you get the most important ones done.

I've applied to 4 so far - HBS, Kellogg, Chicago, Cornell and intend to complete my Darden application sometime soon as well.

If HBS, Kellogg Chicago don't accept, my plan is to re-apply to both Kellogg and Chicago on a part time basis.

If that fails, I'll need to decide between any other accepts and waiting another year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
The consultants will help you craft essays that answer the questions that have been asked - but it wont do you much good to copy and paste. Honestly, once you start doing this, you'll see just how much work it is to craft a quality response.

Interesting. I've found that alot of my essays translate very well to other schools. Sometimes I need to flesh things out a bit or remove a line here or there to get to the word limits, but for some apps it takes me about 5-10% of the time it would take for a brand new app. The most difficult part is the "why school x" part. As an example, I found that the work it did for my Kellogg translates very well to my Darden and Duke app.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
Quote:
The consultants will help you craft essays that answer the questions that have been asked - but it wont do you much good to copy and paste. Honestly, once you start doing this, you'll see just how much work it is to craft a quality response.

Interesting. I've found that alot of my essays translate very well to other schools. Sometimes I need to flesh things out a bit or remove a line here or there to get to the word limits, but for some apps it takes me about 5-10% of the time it would take for a brand new app. The most difficult part is the "why school x" part. As an example, I found that the work it did for my Kellogg translates very well to my Darden and Duke app.

Maybe I spend more time on mine than most. I don't know. Honestly, the biggest "hurdle" for me to add more schools on is asking my recommenders to keep doing more letters. I feel like I've asked them for a lot, and I can't ask them for more right now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yup, i agree with rhyme.. I guess it is tough applying to more than 5 schools especially if all of them corner into same range of deadlines.. it would be better to use your best judgement and get the list down to 5 or 6.. that way, it will be easy on your pocket also..

cheers
sid
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Maybe I spend more time on mine than most. I don't know. Honestly, the biggest "hurdle" for me to add more schools on is asking my recommenders to keep doing more letters. I feel like I've asked them for a lot, and I can't ask them for more right now.

I agree with that point. Thats probably the main reason why I'm limiting myself. At the same time its sort of though to see the essays of some of the schools I've eliminated and realize how little marginal effort it would take to apply. Applying to b-school takes alot of overall effort and I would prefer to cover my bases and not have to go through this process a second time

What do you guys see a the ideal number?

I'm currently set on:
Kellogg
Wharton
Columbia
INSEAD
LBS
Ross

and am tempted to add:
Duke
Darden
Chicago
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
My issue also comes down to location...

Make a similar list for yourself..

Washington U (St Louis, MO) - ranked too low
Notre Dame (Notre Dame, IN) - ditto
UNC (Kenan-Flager) - middle of nowhere.
Purdue (Lafayete, IN) - im not going to indiana.
Texas - Austin (Mcombs School) - not interested in texas at all
Georgetown - decent sized city, weak rank, but OK odds. May apply.
Virginia (Darden) - poor city size, but near DC and Case study (a plus for me) Applying.
Duke (Fuqua) - too remote
Emory (Atlanta, GA) - im not doing the south and definetly not atlanta.
Cornell (Johnson) - remote, but beautiful and worth considering, applying.
Michigan (Ross) - would like to apply but my fiance is against it unfortunately.
Indiana (Kelley) - no way am i doing indiana
CMU (Tepper) - I hate pittsburgh.
UCLA (Anderson) - I hate LA.
Yale (New Haven, CT) - middle o nowhere
Northwestern - Yes
Chicago - Yes
NYU - Poor selectivity, and frankly I dont want NY
MIT (Sloan) - Too quantative
Dartmouth (Tuck) - middle o nowhere
UC Berkeley (Haas) - Poor selectivity, but a consideration if R1s fail. Cost of living scares me.
Wharton - I'm just not quantative enough to get in
Columbia - Ditto as wharton and lots of IBers just getting ticket stamped.
Harvard - No chance but I applied anyway
Stanford - Absolutely no chance, I'm not wasting my time or money.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm been struggling with my list for a while now. Here's how it stands at the moment.

Out
Harvard - I'm convinced they don't want me
MIT - scares me
NYU - poor access to the west coast job market
Yale - ditto
Tuck - too cold, too much in the middle of nowhere (no direct flights to the west coast)
Cornell - ditto, plus poor access to the west coast job market

On the Fence
Darden - I like this school a lot, but I have mixed feelings about their reach in the west
Duke - Ditto
Kellogg - I like their international reach. Not too impressed with their info session.

Definite
Stanford - even though I'm convinced they don't want me
Michigan - I loved it there, and the football team is doing great
UCLA - Had a good time here too
Columbia - Had a terrible time while I was in NY, but I've wanted to give it a second chance
Berkeley - So close by I can smell it almost
Wharton - Lauder program dual degree is my top choice right now
Chicago - Has everything I'm looking for

I will probably add Darden or Duke (or both) as a backup, and if I cannot help myself I will apply to Kellogg as well.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Finally, my favorite posts! Opt out floor to ceiling portfolio selection!

Yale- I would not really consider New Haven the middle of nowhere. UVA is at least as much middle of nowhere compared to New Haven. If you travel 75 miles from New Haven you are in one of the greatest cities in the world. If you travel 120 miles from Charlottesville, you reach a city with famous buildings rising up from a swamp.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3