Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [3]
Given Kudos: 261
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 3: 720 Q45 V44
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: 2021 Intake (Class of 2023) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
firas92 wrote:
Agreed with the PS part especially. I took my GMAT mid August and sent my score to MIT. Now I know that I didn't score enough to stand a chance at MIT but I get how the ones who did might feel.

Posted from my mobile device

I think technically if you do not submit a score on your application, even if you have sent in the score report to a school, they could not use it or maybe that’s too strong of a word and I should say they would not use it?

The way it is supposed to work, you self-report a score on the application, and then the business school verifies with the GMAT database that that is indeed your score. If you don’t indicate one, then theoretically they would not be going in looking at verifying
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: 2021 Intake (Class of 2023) [#permalink]
Kudos
[quote="altairahmad"]Could it be because MIT saw a substantial dip in applications / good applications and this is a desperate attempt to balance that out ?

This is certainly going to hurt the chances of the candidates who would want to offset some weak part of their profile through a strong GMAT score.

I think this is a bit unfair for MIT to have waived off GMAT at this stage.

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size][/quote]

I could see how there might be a dip if many applicants went for the late Round that they offered in June and dont want/can’t make the effort to apply again in this round, but suddenly dropping the GMAT mid app?
It is a bit strange with only ~10 days until deadline.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pfrancisco wrote:
I could see how there might be a dip if many applicants went for the late Round that they offered in June and dont want/can’t make the effort to apply again in this round, but suddenly dropping the GMAT mid app?

I agree. I am equally baffled. Could it be a slap into the GMAC’s face? The purpose of the move is not very clear...

Current Student
Send PM
bb wrote:
pfrancisco wrote:

I agree. I am equally baffled. Could it be a slap into the GMAC’s face? The purpose of the move is not very clear...

I am not sure. I dont know if restrictions on testing centers are still in place in many places that prevent people from taking the GMAT amd therefore cant reach the deadline. Also GMAT Online/GRE are still available.

I think the GMAT is a good measuring tool and an important part of the application but what is more interesting is the timing and knowing that there are people who have already submitted and that this can affect them.

I was following the decision tracker the past few days and it is true that Sloan was showing only 2 submitted applications (1 of them was mine haha) but I am not sure if that is normal since there is still time until the deadline or if that really shows a drop in apps.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pfrancisco wrote:
bb wrote:
pfrancisco wrote:

I am not sure. I dont know if restrictions on testing centers are still in place in many places that prevent people from taking the GMAT amd therefore cant reach the deadline. Also GMAT Online/GRE are still available.

I think the GMAT is a good measuring tool and an important part of the application but what is more interesting is the timing and knowing that there are people who have already submitted and that this can affect them.

I was following the decision tracker the past few days and it is true that Sloan was showing only 2 submitted applications (1 of them was mine haha) but I am not sure if that is normal since there is still time until the deadline or if that really shows a drop in apps.

In my experience only exceptional individuals update the decision tracker when submitting the apps. I think many do after they are done, and sometimes days and weeks after... but we can check and compare it to last year I guess. It is an interesting idea ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q168 V157
Send PM
Kudos
Its vague, its pathetic. You can't change the rules of a game suddenly.
I have worked hard for monhts to get a score. Now, I suddenly compete with someone, who didn't put anytime in preparation.
What about test bodies like GMAC? Have you consulted them before taking this move.

There is no clarity whatsoever.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AmitPandey025 wrote:
Its vague, its pathetic. You can't change the rules of a game suddenly.
I have worked hard for monhts to get a score. Now, I suddenly compete with someone, who didn't put anytime in preparation.
What about test bodies like GMAC? Have you consulted them before taking this move.

There is no clarity whatsoever.

Food point!!! And one I have failed to see and consider.... yes, though I can’t see anyone throwing together an awesome app in 10 days, it is definitely possible if someone with strong profile who was applying to Simon with 650 or BU with 600 can now throw their hat into the ring. My guess the UG GPA just got a lot more important for those folks...

Current Student
Send PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In my experience only exceptional individuals update the decision tracker when submitting the apps. I think many do after they are done, and sometimes days and weeks after... but we can check and compare it to last year I guess. It is an interesting idea ?

Yeah I am sure the number of people who take the time to do it is very small but still there might be some correlation with last year’s number as you mentioned

To be honest I am not going crazy over Sloan’s decision since I am around the average on the GMAT and other parts of my app will become important to evaluate me against others.

I can understand other people with lower GMATs (who were relying on other parts pf their app for a chance) to be upset since this will open up the doors to people without a GMAT that may have a strong profile aside of it to jump into the pool and drop GMAT’s importance (consequently recuding the chances of the former).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 898
Send PM
Will the application without GMAT score be considered for scholarship?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Send PM
PreetyM

That's what we are talking about. There's so transparecy whatsoever!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Looks like there has been a falling out between MIT and test taking companies. However, I do not appreciate this decision at ALL.

As someone who is married and has an extremely demanding job, I even had to use my annual vacations for GMAT prep. And now this ? Not welcome at all.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
There's may be falling, but changing rules at the last moment is pathetic.
No matter how good a school, this is a disastrous move.

When the GMAC/ETS has done all the hard work implementing all softwares so that test taking can easily be accommodated at home, this comes as a schok to many!

Moreover, schools don't value $250 at all. May be they just want to increase the application so that thye can boost how amazing the program looks on the paper.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I’m sharing my two cents here after having discussed the GMAT waiver decision with one member of the Adcom and a Vet at MIT. They believe a candidate with a strong profile but a poor GPA has a chance to prove intellectual ability through a strong GMAT score and are welcome to submit it. For those who have a strong GPA from a good UNI have proved their ability to handle academic course load and GMAT doesn’t add any additional value there. Without a strong profile a candidate doesn’t stand a good chance of bagging an admit at the M7 with or without a great GMAT.
Therefore they believe that one must use one’s best judgement after thinking through whether a GMAT score actually helps strengthen one’s case - strictly on the intellectual ability side of things.
If you have a Low GPA it’s better to submit a strong GMAT rather than get dinged because the school doesn’t think you’re smart enough.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MilitaryPilot wrote:
I’m sharing my two cents here after having discussed the GMAT waiver decision with one member of the Adcom and a Vet at MIT. They believe a candidate with a strong profile but a poor GPA has a chance to prove intellectual ability through a strong GMAT score and are welcome to submit it. For those who have a strong GPA from a good UNI have proved their ability to handle academic course load and GMAT doesn’t add any additional value there. Without a strong profile a candidate doesn’t stand a good chance of bagging an admit at the M7 with or without a great GMAT.
Therefore they believe that one must use one’s best judgement after thinking through whether a GMAT score actually helps strengthen one’s case - strictly on the intellectual ability side of things.
If you have a Low GPA it’s better to submit a strong GMAT rather than get dinged because the school doesn’t think you’re smart enough.

Ok but MIT realised this now after these many years ? The question is, why now ? Why in the middle of app ?

This doesn't look like something that would have taken MIT decades to figure out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That’s right! That’s basic.
Isn’t this too late to figure this!

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [2]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
MIT - essentially a tech school.
China - essentially a feeder to tech schools.

No GMAT in China, No Chinese coming through their program.
If they waive off the test for only the affected regions its essentially a bias.

Therefore they are keeping it simple. And they have been hinting at being flexible with the GMAT for a while now.

GMAC for now is unable to provide any concrete date for administering the test in certain regions of the world.

Don't be surprised if you see other top schools joining the GMAT waiver pack.

Kellogg had done it for their last round in the last cycle.
Harvard is considering applications without a score.

How do you figure they are deciding on interviewing folks without the GMAT? Of course admit without a GMAT is another story and it'll unfold sometime next year.

altairahmad wrote:
MilitaryPilot wrote:

Ok but MIT realised this now after these many years ? The question is, why now ? Why in the middle of app ?

This doesn't look like something that would have taken MIT decades to figure out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Send PM
MilitaryPilot wrote:
MIT - essentially a tech school.
China - essentially a feeder to tech schools.

No GMAT in China, No Chinese coming through their program.
If they waive off the test for only the affected regions its essentially a bias.

Therefore they are keeping it simple. And they have been hinting at being flexible with the GMAT for a while now.

GMAC for now is unable to provide any concrete date for administering the test in certain regions of the world.

Don't be surprised if you see other top schools joining the GMAT waiver pack.

Kellogg had done it for their last round in the last cycle.
Harvard is considering applications without a score.

How do you figure they are deciding on interviewing folks without the GMAT? Of course admit without a GMAT is another story and it'll unfold sometime next year.

altairahmad wrote:
MilitaryPilot wrote:

I don't find the China argument convincing. It certainly can be a factor, but a driving factor ? Maybe. China was the first globally to go towards normalization, more than half of the test center locations in China are currently open. Yes,there is no GMAT Online in China so that could have played it's part.

But this didn't happen suddenly, right ? Like a few days back ? But MIT has made it seem like so. Because it seems like MIT wasn't aware of what is going on in the world (based on the China argument). This decision could have been taken well in advance.

Most of the in-person testing centers of GMAC are open (their website says so). Perhaps MIT could have slightly delayed the admission cycle.

It will be even interesting to know if this GMAT/GRE optional thing is here to stay or is it only for this year/next.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts