Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V37
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V37
Send PM
Re: Targeting 3rd round of admissions. Is it worth it? [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi soumyadeeppaul1,

If you knock the GMAT out of the park, you certainly could give 3rd round a shot; however, I honestly would not make any decisions yet. Just focus on getting your GMAT to where it needs to be and then you can figure out when to apply. That said, if you need any advice regarding your GMAT, feel free to reach out.

Thanks for the honest advice Scott! Much appreciated :)
My Quant is pretty decent at Q46, but on verbal, I am facing serious issues with RC (V33). Any tips to help me there?
I have not started with any serious reading materials like the Economist or WSJ, but I am a voracious reader of fiction since childhood
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
soumyadeeppaul1 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi soumyadeeppaul1,

If you knock the GMAT out of the park, you certainly could give 3rd round a shot; however, I honestly would not make any decisions yet. Just focus on getting your GMAT to where it needs to be and then you can figure out when to apply. That said, if you need any advice regarding your GMAT, feel free to reach out.

Thanks for the honest advice Scott! Much appreciated :)
My Quant is pretty decent at Q46, but on verbal, I am facing serious issues with RC (V33). Any tips to help me there?
I have not started with any serious reading materials like the Economist or WSJ, but I am a voracious reader of fiction since childhood

To improve in Reading Comprehension, you need to focus on understanding what you are reading. When you are incorrectly answering Reading Comprehension questions, it’s partly because you do not truly understand what you have just read, right? Thus, you likely have to slow down in order to (eventually) speed up. At this point, your best bet is to focus on getting the correct answers to questions, taking as much time as you need to see key details and understand the logic of what you are reading. You have to learn to comprehend what you read, keep it all straight, and use what you are reading to arrive at correct answers. If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read. There is no way around this work. Your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. If you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task: The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

Another component of understanding what you are reading is being “present” when reading. Don’t worry about how things are going at work, or what you will eat for dinner, or even how long you are taking to read through the passage. Just focus on what is in front of you, word by word, line by line. Furthermore, try to make reading fun. For example, even if you are reading about a topic that bores you, pretend that you are the person making the argument. By doing so, you will make the passage more relatable to YOU, and ultimately you should be able to read with greater focus.

One final component of Reading Comprehension that may be tripping you up is that RC questions contain one or more trap answers that seem to answer the question but don't really. So, a key part of training to correctly answer RC questions is learning to notice the differences between trap answers and correct answers. You have to learn to see how trap answers seem to follow from what the passages say, but don't really, while correct answers fit what the passages say exactly.
GMAT Club Bot