Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Dejected and devastated after 2 attempts (Unable to reach 740+) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Gokul20,

First off, the good news is that 690 is a very solid score, so I would not say that your GMAT was a total disaster. That said, I realize you are not satisfied, so I’m going to reach out to you directly to see exactly what is going on. I’ve got your back, my friend.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Re: Dejected and devastated after 2 attempts (Unable to reach 740+) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Gokul20 wrote:
Before I start my rant, I would like to give a brief overview about myself.

I am an Indian applicant looking to apply to top 15 BSchools this year. I was hoping to get a score of 740+ (the minimum score required given my background and the highly competitive pool). Since I come from an Engineering background,I thought Quant should not be a huge problem. But little did I know that GMAT tests totally different skills than a typical Indian Engineer has been taught, not too much of a difference but still significant though. I also knew that being a non-native English speaker I need to improve my Verbal skills a lot. So, I basically started my prep with Quant. I used TTP for Quant, and it is a great place to start for Quant. The course structure is amazing and I was able to learn all the basic concepts that I needed to face the Quant section on the GMAT. Once I gained confidence that I could reach a Q50 after 2.5 months of Quant prep, I began my Verbal prep. I started with e-GMAT's SC course and then I used CR Bible for CR. For RC, I used Manhattan self-prep material. I also used the Manhattan SC guide. Also, GMATNinja videos were a blessing for Verbal. Once I was done with the basics, I started solving OG questions, and all other official material available on GMATClub. After 4-5 months of learning the basics and solving questions I decided to take an official mock. I scored a whopping 770(though I paused the exam at a couple of questions and I had come across a couple other during my practice). But still it was good start. Then I purchased the other mocks from GMAC 3-6, and took a mock on every weekend.
I was scoring well around the 750-770 range in my mocks with a quant range of Q50-51, and V39-47. So I thought may be it is reasonable to expect a 740+ score given my performance in the mocks.

With this confidence, I went ahead and booked the Online exam for Sept 4, 2020. On the test day, I was quite nervous and stressed out with at the start of the test, but I believed in my skills and preparation, and hoped for the test to go well. On contrary, I had some technical issues at the start of the exam, and I was not able to upload the workspace pictures. This stressed me out initially as time was running out and I had to start the test within 15 minutes from the scheduled time. Finally after a lot of struggle I was able to upload the pictures using my laptop's webcam and I was able to enter the waiting room within the scheduled time. On top of this, my proctor didn't show up for a good 20 minutes which again made me nervous and I was literally loosing my cool. After all this hassle, the test started. Blast ! :-o the first question in Quant had me totally stumped, I couldn't figure out what the question was expecting . I spent a lot of time on the first question and it all started to fall apart from here. Throughout the section I was nervous, constantly behind the clock, and finally tried to cram the last 3-4 questions of the section in the last 2-3minutes. It was an awful experience and I had almost given up.

Next the Verbal section. I still had not come out of the awful experience(this is where those optional breaks help calm down), and I was expecting an easy CR or SC question to start off with, but I was presented with a dense RC. I literally could not concentrate on the passage and probably got it all wrong. I just spoke to myself that I am just going to treat this as an expensive mock(just to cool myself), and went ahead with the remainder of the questions. Since, I had spent a lot of time on the initial RC, I was trying to make up for it in the later part. Event hough I was solving the questions quickly and fairly accurate, I was constantly behind the clock. At the end, I was again forced to guess 3 questions to avoid leaving any questions unattended.

Overall, it was not something I had prepared for and everything went south on the D-day. I knew that I will be taking another test at the Centre because I had literally f****d up the Online test. I went ahead and booked a slot on Sep 17, 2020- a good 2 weeks from the Online appointment, so that I will have enough time to re-gather my composure, devise better test taking strategies and time management strategies. After, 3 business days I got my Online score - 710(Q49, V36) , IR 6. Though I was not happy with the score, I was not totally disappointed as I was expecting something below 650, given how much I had f****d up.

I prepared myself in every possible way I could think of - solving questions with less time targets than required on actual test, devising section-wise strategies(RC - 6min max per passage, CR - max 2 min, SC - 1.30 min) but still maintaining accuracy. I even read blogs around these topics. Especially, TTP's blogs and GMAT debriefs on GMATClub were helpful, and I was able to garner some confidence. Finally, I was well prepared to kill the test and walk out with a grin. I even envisioned everything and rehearsed the test day experience 'n' number of times in my head.

On test day, I had the perfectly balanced breakfast, reached the centre well in advance. The check-in process was smooth, and I was allowed to start the test a good 30 minutes before the actual scheduled time. I was at the peak of my confidence and cool as cucumber. I went with the same order as it was for GMATOnline: Quant -> Verbal -> IR->AWA. I just didn't want to try new stuff at the last moment and I was fairly comfortable with the order. Also Quant was my strongest area. So I thought this could help me start the test on a positive note. I started well, and the first few questions were very easy and didn't trouble me much. In fact nowhere did I find any question difficult or above my level. I was solving them with ease, and since I thought I was being served easy questions I was even double checking the answers and was highly confident of the answers. I came out with confidence and took my first break, hoping for Q50. Next, the verbal section started off with a simple SC question(I was quite good with SC and CR and usually have more than 90% accuracy). The whole section progressed as expected and I was on time at each split I had planned. Everything went smooth and I thought I would be getting a good score. I was expecting at least a V39-40.

Overall, I thought I had done well and was hoping a score above 740. But when I was done with the test and the score flashed on my screen, I was devastated. I scored an awful 690 (Q46, V38, IR8) :shock: :dazed I couldn't believe the score that was on the screen and even double-checked if it was really a 690. I cancelled the score with a heavy heart and walked out of the test centre totally dejected. I didn't know where it went wrong, and what went wrong. Still, I am clueless as to what I did wrong. I was planning to apply to a few schools in R1, and now that I don't have a decent score all my plans are shattered :cry:

I am almost close to crying my heart out, but there is no point pondering over the past. What has happened is behind. It would be better to look forward and rectify my mistakes and hope for the dream score - don't know if I can be able to achieve that, but I still have some faith. I have ordered an ESR to gain some insights, and I would appreciate if experts could help me out here. I know that this community has been brilliant and hope that it will help me as well.
ScottTargetTestPrep EMPOWERgmatRichC GMATWhizTeam @

Sorry for the long post. I am just venting out my disappointment here. :cry: :cry:

PS: I will be posting my ESR here once I get it

Update:
Attaching my ESR

Hi Gokul20,

I am really sorry about how things went with your GMAT. Do not get disappointed. An improvement is definitely possible. This time make sure you identify what actually went wrong and work on improving that area. An ESR would be definitely helpful and I will help you analyze that. But I think a one-on-one conversation would be better to do it effectively. Why don't we connect over a call and discuss the same? We can connect over a zoom conference call and analyze your ESR and at the same time sort things out on what should you be doing further. So, if you are interested to get in touch, you can schedule a free consultation call using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Gokul,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Consider checking out Thursdays with Ron for Verbal. Since you've already scored into the high V40s on your mocks (Official), consider what else may have been the problem during the actual exam. Are you simulating the Mocks the same way an exam would be for example
Current Student
Send PM
OnlineTutorKnight wrote:
Consider checking out Thursdays with Ron for Verbal. Since you've already scored into the high V40s on your mocks (Official), consider what else may have been the problem during the actual exam. Are you simulating the Mocks the same way an exam would be for example

Sure. Thanks for your advice. I will checkout Ron's videos.
GMAT Club Bot