Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618906 [10]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [7]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1025 [3]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Re: A can complete a piece of work in 4 days. B takes double the time take [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Given

• A can complete a piece of work in 4 days. B takes double the time taken by A, C takes double that of B, and D takes double that of C to complete the same task.

To Find

• They are paired in groups of two each. One pair takes two-thirds the time needed by the second pair to complete the work.

Approach and Working Out

• Time ratio -
      o A : B : C : D = 1 : 2 : 4 : 8
    • Speed ratio –
      o A : B : C : D = \(\frac{1}{1}\) : \(\frac{1}{2}\): \(\frac{1}{4}\) : \(\frac{1}{8}\)
      o = 8: 4 : 2 : 1
    • We need to arrange the sum in a way that it becomes 3 : 2
      o A and D with speed unit of 9
      o B and C with speed unit of 6

Correct Answer: Option D
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: A can complete a piece of work in 4 days. B takes double the time take [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A can complete a piece of work in 4 days. B takes double the time taken by A, C takes double that of B, and D takes double that of C to complete the same task. They are paired in groups of two each. One pair takes two-thirds the time needed by the second pair to complete the work. Which is the first pair?

(A) A, B
(B) A, C
(C) B, C
(D) A, D
(E) C, D

Solution:

Since A takes 4 days to complete the piece of work, then B, C, and D take 8 days, 16 days, and 32 days, respectively, to complete the same piece of work.

If one pair takes two-thirds the time needed by the second pair to complete the work, then their combined rate is three-halves the combined rates of the second pair (recall that rate is inverse of time). The rates of A, B, C, and D are 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32, respectively.

Since 1/4 + 1/32 = 8/32 + 1/32 = 9/32 and 1/8 + 1/16 = 2/16 + 1/16 = 3/16 and 9/32 = 3/2 x 2/16, we see that the first pair must be A and D (and the other pair is B and C).

Answer: D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 572
Send PM
This question, although relatively straightforward seems to take a lot of time. Is this an accurate problem?

Please discuss quicker ways to do this rather than just picking choices and plugging in.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [1]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
A can complete a piece of work in 4 days. B takes double the time take [#permalink]
Kudos
testtakerstrategy wrote:
This question, although relatively straightforward seems to take a lot of time. Is this an accurate problem?

Please discuss quicker ways to do this rather than just picking choices and plugging in.

I think the quickest methods are discussed. One key to make the problem move quickly is to realize that when the work being done is Constant, the Time needed to complete the work is Inversely Proportional to the Rates of work.

This is true for the Ratios as well.

Time Pair 1 to do job = 2/3 *(Time Pair 2 to do job)

Expressed in “ratio form”

Time Pair 1 to do job : Time Pair 2 to do job = 2 : 3

Since it is the same work being performed (Same 1 Job), the Ratio of Work Rates is Inversely Proportional

Rate of Work Pair 1 : Rate of Work Pair 2 = 3 : 2

Now you just need to Add 2 Rates for the Numerator and Add the other 2 Rates for the Denominator. There are only 6 different pairings of Rates that you need to add, and you just need to focus on the Rates in the Numerator that will have a higher Sum than the Rates in the Denominator.

This means the only Pairings that could work in the Numerator when you add the Rates are:

A + B
Or
A + C
Or
A + D

When you test

(Rate of A + Rate of D) / (Rate of B + Rate of C) = (8/32 + 1/32)/ (4/32 + 2/32)

You will find the correct Ratio of 3/2

Using the Units Work Method outlined by CrackVerbal above would help you avoid fractions as well.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
I got the answer correct, but it took me close to 4min., to test values and come to an answer.
Is there some shortcut to it??
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16595 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
A can complete a piece of work in 4 days: A = 1 work = 4 days

=> B = same work = 8 days

=> C = same work = 16 days

=> D = same work = 32 days

One pair = \(\frac{2}{3}\) [another pair]

=> A + D = 4 + 32 = 36 and B + C = 8 + 16 = 24

A + D = 36 * \(\frac{2 }{ 3}\) = 24 [B + C]

Answer D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts