Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Scored 600 on veritas mock [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi aimingwharton,

Although I don't know too much about your score goal, in general, if you are shooting for 700+, I'd say to give yourself around 4 months to study. Also, if you'd like further advice regarding your study plan, feel free to reach out. Lastly, you may find it helpful to read the following articles:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

How Long Should I Study for the GMAT?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi aimingwharton,

A 600 is a strong initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). Finishing a section of the GMAT early is usually NOT a good sign though - and it means that you may have rushed through a number of questions (and got them wrong) that you may have been able to correctly answer if you had done a bit more work.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What study materials do you currently have access to?
2) What is your overall goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
aimingwharton wrote:
How much time do you think i would need to improve my score?

Hi aimingwharton, around 2 months, would be my suggestion.

Data Sufficiency would need a lot of practice; the fact that you did pretty well in Problem Solving, tells me that concepts are already in place in Quant. So, focused practice in Data Sufficiency, will do the trick.

On the other hand, Sentence Correction needs a lot of conceptual clarity, along with practice. So, practice alone, will not be sufficient. Since you mention SC as your specific area of concern, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi aimingwharton,

A 600 is a strong initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). Finishing a section of the GMAT early is usually NOT a good sign though - and it means that you may have rushed through a number of questions (and got them wrong) that you may have been able to correctly answer if you had done a bit more work.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What study materials do you currently have access to?
2) What is your overall goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

I have not picked my study material. Goal Score is 730+. GMAT in March. All top B schools in USA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
aimingwharton wrote:
Hi guys so i scored 600 on veritas mock with zero prep. Scored 46/58 in quant and 27/46. I rushed math since I found it was easy and submitted 15 min before the actual time but later found I missed tricky questions on Data Sufficiency. Seeing the stats i found Data sufficiency and sentence correction to be the most challenging. How much time do you think i would need to improve my score?

First off, aimingwharton, let me say that a 600 on a Veritas test with no prep puts you in an upper tier among GMAT™ aspirants. With practice and further knowledge of the types of questions that are asked, the topics that are covered, you should be able to reach a 700+ in a month or so, I would think. Of course, you will have to be disciplined as well. Writing off Quant questions as easy will likely lead to making careless errors. Taking the time to get to the bottom of why you miss questions will help you get better at facing similar challenges.

If I am to take your namesake as a sign of intent, then you will likely want to score consistently in the 730+ range on official practice tests, especially the ones you have to pay for, 3-6, since the test has increased in difficulty since free tests 1 and 2 were released. It is not absolutely necessary to take these tests—I myself look to save money when I can—but they will give you a more reliable indication of where you would likely stand, were you to sit for the exam at present. The in-house Quant questions here on GMAT Club are excellent; you can find just about every official (retired) GMAT™ question under the sun on this site as well. I am adamant about centering GMAT™ prep on official questions, though, particularly on the Verbal portion of the test. You need to get used to the exact phrasing of questions and answer choices, as well as the passages themselves.

Depending on how you prefer to learn, you can check out print guides, watch video lessons, or take an in-person or online prep course to fast-track your test-readiness. Again, a 600 is a strong baseline, but it would be misguided to think that you will automatically progress to where you want to be scoring in no time at all, with little effort. If you need recommendations on specific books, courses, and so on, you know how to lean on the community.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Will not get the initial score get to my head and work on a study plan after picking a good prep provider. Also yes I am aiming top B schools including wharton (specifically in the USA).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi aimingwharton,

To start, studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you'll actually 'need' your Score - is a smart choice. Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you're not planning to take the GMAT until next March, then you have given yourself plenty of time to study - which is good (and there's a reasonable chance that you won't need nearly that much time).

1) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot