Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [16]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: No one who works at Leila's Electronics has received both a poor [#permalink]
Kudos
Why 'C' is not right?

A person who is staying in a house and not paying the rent may not be necessarily be the owner. He may be a defaulter.

Similar to the question, Lester might not have received the raise but it doesn't mean that she received a poor performance evaluation.

Can anyone explain why 'E' is answer instead?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GRE 1: Q165 V164
Send PM
Re: No one who works at Leila's Electronics has received both a poor [#permalink]
Quote:
No one who works at Leila's Electronics has received both a poor performance evaluation and a raise. Lester has not received a raise, so it must be that he has received a poor performance evaluation.

The flawed reasoning in the argument above is most similar to the reasoning in which one of the following arguments?

The given argument is illogical since it is possible that if do not own a house, can live rent free in it. For. e.g. parents own the house, but children live rent free in it.

Quote:
(A) No one who lives in a house both owns it and pays rent on it. So, since my next-door neighbors pay rent on their house, it must be that they do not own it.

This argument is logical, since if paying rent, then cannot own the house.

Quote:
(B) No one who lives in a house both owns it and pays rent on it. My next-door neighbors own their house. Therefore, it must be that they do not pay rent on it.

This argument is logical, since if own the house then cannot pay rent on it too.

Quote:
(C) My neighbors have not paid any rent on their house. Since anyone who lives in a house but does not rent it owns it, it must be that they own it.

The highlighted part is not parallel in structure to No one has received both a poor performance evaluation and a raise.

Quote:
(D) My next-door neighbors do not own their house. Since no one who lives in a house both owns it and pays rent on it, it must be that my next-door neighbors pay rent on their house.

Parallel to the given stimulus and hence the correct answer option.

Quote:
(E) Anyone who lives in a house but does not own it pays rent on it. My next-door neighbors do not own their house. Therefore, it must be that they pay rent on it.

The highlighted part is not parallel in structure to No one has received both a poor performance evaluation and a raise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
L rest:- PP and Raise. 1G doesnt get raise , then she must have PP.

similarly in house both thing rent and ownership. if someone doesn't pay rent,, then they must owner.
Or if someone doesn't;t owns the house must pay the rent.
both cases are true/Correct.

(A) No one who lives in a house both owns it and pays rent on it. So, since my next-door neighbors pay rent on their house, it must be that they do not own it.
its about paying the rent -incorrect
(B) No one who lives in a house both owns it and pays rent on it. My next-door neighbors own their house. Therefore, it must be that they do not pay rent on it.
same as A - incorrect
(C) My neighbors have not paid any rent on their house. Since anyone who lives in a house but does not rent it owns it, it must be that they own it.
Incorrect- mention that they don't rent means they own it .
(D) My next-door neighbors do not own their house. Since no one who lives in a house both owns it and pays rent on it, it must be that my next-door neighbors pay rent on their house.
similar reason - COrrect as was first thought in prethinking
(E) Anyone who lives in a house but does not own it pays rent on it. My next-door neighbors do not own their house. Therefore, it must be that they pay rent on it.
same problem as C - incorrect

IMO-D
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM