Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [1]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 530 Q35 V28
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 493
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Sept 25: Top Masters Admissions - Open Chat with Admissionado [#permalink]
Kudos
How to write a compelling personal statement for these grad schools? I know it depends on school how much weight they put on these, but would there be a general range?
Interested in Applying: Oxford Saïd MFE, HEC MiM, LSE MFE, Imperial MFin, LBS MFA.
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Sept 25: Top Masters Admissions - Open Chat with Admissionado [#permalink]
Kudos
does the ranking of your college matters, if you are applying to HEC, MIT and other top colleges to pursue master in finance ? what will be the chances if applied to round 3 /4( more details related to round 3 )

Originally posted by tanu11 on 24 Sep 2020, 12:55.
Last edited by tanu11 on 24 Sep 2020, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 245
Send PM
Sept 25: Top Masters Admissions - Open Chat with Admissionado [#permalink]
Kudos
My graduation is in Computer Science and I have 5.5 years of experience in IT as a Senior Software Developer.
Rest of my profile is quite bland.

1. What are some good colleges for MS in MIS for my profile with GMAT 650 score?
2. Is it an advantage or a disadvantage having 5.5 years of exp. joining a MIS course, in terms of getting an admit and a job?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Kudos
How to the adcoms of Masters programs look at candidates with 8 years experience, who are looking to switch industries? For eg, someone with operations experience in shipping looking to move into e-commerce logistics through a Masters in supply Chain Ops?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hello, I am Faiz and I will be graduating from Ashoka University, Sonepat, India in May 2021. I just submitted my report for a course-by-course WES evaluation for my undergraduate transcript which is a Bachelor's in Arts (Economics Honours) program to be completed in three years. The universities I am hoping to apply for in US/Canada require me to have a "Bachelor's degree" on the WES report (either three or four).

The issue I am facing is that only those Indian universities is equivalent to a 4-year US Bachelor's degree if the university is accredited 'A' by NAAC. However, my university is not old enough to have accreditation by NAAC, even though it enjoys a celebrated reputation and is recognized by UGC. The question is if this undergraduate degree would be shown equivalent to which of the following for Canadian/US equivalency:
1. Bachelor's (three years)
2. Bachelor's (four years)
3. Three years of undergraduate study

The first two equivalency would be perfectly fine, however, if it shows "three years of undergraduate study" as Canadian/US equivalency, I wouldn't be able to apply for the universities I want. I am guessing it should be equivalent to a Bachelor's (three years) at least. I also did a summer abroad from the London School of Economics, United Kingdom, taking two courses, the transcript for which I have sent to WES. I am just afraid it will show "three years of undergraduate study" since my university is not accredited by NAAC (although it is by UGC). I tried using the WES Degree Equivalency Tool but it doesn't have my university in its list, although it did pop up during my application to WES.

I would request you to please answer my concern. Your help will be much appreciated.
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [7]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

Today's Chat Session Main Highlights

(For those Who Missed it)

Question 1 from Mahruf561: I'm interested in Masters' in Accounting. I am currently doing an undergrad Accounting program and in 1 year will graduate. What top B-Schools programs would you suggest for an international student pursuing the Accounting profession? And what GMAT score range should I aim for?
Answer: Many of the best US programs for Masters in Accounting are at large public universities like the University of Texas Austin, University of Florida, Texas A&M, and University of Virginia. These larger universities tend to offer a more diverse range of masters programs than the Ivy Leagues or M7 business schools, which tend to only focus on the MBA. Some of these programs require the GMAT or GRE, but others don’t, so you’ll need to check the application requirements of the specific schools that you wish to apply to. Usually we recommend shooting for a GMAT score in the mid-500s and up -- of course, the higher you score, the more competitive your application will be. Good luck!

Question 2 from Zenith0rigin : How to write a compelling personal statement for grad schools? I know each program evaluates them according to their own criteria, but is there any general advice? The Programs I am Interested in Applying: Oxford Saïd MFE, HEC MiM, LSE MFE, Imperial MFin, LBS MFA.
Answer: The most important elements of a masters personal statement are: (1) showing dedication to your chosen field of study -- do you have a track record of doing well academically in this subject? Can you explain why you’re so interested in the subject that you wish to pursue masters level study in that field? (2) Clear goals to use your degree post-graduation. What are your short- and long-term career goals? Why is this masters degree necessary for you to achieve those goals? How will the degree further you down your career path in a way that wouldn’t be possible without the masters? As general advice, bear in mind that these masters programs are more practical and career-oriented than an MBA; there is less emphasis on "leadership" and more emphasis on your interest in that specific field (finance, information systems, etc) and what professional use the degree will give you in the long run.

Question 3 from Vishwasjain2008 : My graduation is in Computer Science and I have 5.5 years of experience in IT as a Senior Software Developer. Rest of my profile is quite bland.
A) What are some good colleges for MS in MIS for my profile with GMAT 650 score?
B) Is it an advantage or a disadvantage having 5.5 years of exp. joining a MIS course, in terms of getting an admit and a job?
Answer: Similar to the masters in accounting programs, many of the best MIS programs in the US are also at large public universities, such as University of Texas Austin, University of Arizona, and Georgia Institute of Technology. A GMAT score of 650 should be quite competitive for these programs. Having work experience prior to applying to these masters programs is generally a strong advantage, so long as it’s not so many years of experience (for example, 8+ years) that the AdCom (admissions committee) will wonder why you’re applying so relatively late in your career. These masters students tend to have an average age of early to mid-20s when they enrol. Overall, having real-world work experience gives you credibility when you discuss why you want to study this field, and it also gives you more clarity around what your goals will be after you conclude your degree

Question 4 from tanu11 : How much emphasis we should put on the school's ranking which choosing programs to apply? What opportunities and benefits top Masters in Finance programs such as HEC, MIT can provide us that other (lower-ranked programs) can't?
Answer: Rankings don’t matter inherently; rather, they matter because they’re indicative of specific dimensions of a school or program that have real value. For example, reputation matters for masters programs because employers care about educational prestige, and ultimately you’re applying to these programs to improve your career prospects. The top-paying employers are more likely to gravitate towards highly ranked schools for their job recruiting efforts. Similarly, the strength of alumni networks also correlates with a school’s ranking. Over the arc of your career, fellow alumni can be very important resources for job prospects, career advice, etc. So in short, ranking does count for a lot with these programs. But don’t get hung up on rankings for their own sake; think about them instead as barometers of these other qualities.

Question 5 from immensitas : How much variation in GMAT scores of Masters applicants of top programs is normally seen? Can you give us a rough estimate of max and min GMAT scores accepted at top MS programs?
Answer: If you’re scoring below the 500s on the GMAT, that may be a red flag to the AdCom. This doesn’t necessarily mean that your application is doomed, but it does mean that you’ll have some explaining to do -- you may need to demonstrate very strong undergraduate grades, for example, to show that you’re capable of handling the academic work. There isn’t really such a thing as a max GMAT score for these applications. Of course, the higher you score, the more competitive your application will be.

Question 6 Hi, Admissionado, I am from a non-analytics field of fashion. Do you think, My query is that if I pursue MIM in Europe/UK, will l have the same "after graduation" benefits concerning job opportunities and salary package as any other graduate? Or will it depend on my pre experience and bachelors as well ? I am calculating my ROI here, what’s your opinion?
Answer: ishita27: Your opportunities will depend largely on what field you seek to go into after graduation. If you pursue jobs in a field where your fashion background pre-masters will be relevant somehow (such as retail or luxury goods), then the MIM will definitely give you a boost combined with your previous experience. If you want to switch into a completely different field, however (such as high tech or pharmaceuticals), then this will be a more challenging sell to employers. So it all comes down to what you want to do after your masters program.

Question 7 What do you know about translating spanish grades into gpa?
Answer: Ondicastillo: AdComs are accustomed to reviewing transcripts from universities all over the world, so this won’t be the first time that they’re seeing grades from a Spanish university. I wouldn’t be concerned about translating your grades into a conventional US-based GPA system; instead, I would advise that you provide context about your own university’s grading system (such as "GPA equivalent to 8.5 out of 10")

Question 8 How well US schools allocate scholarships to international students applying to MS programs compared to MBA?
Answer: jahongirnorimov: Scholarship opportunities really vary by school, so it’s impossible to generalize, unfortunately. The one general rule of thumb to keep in mind if scholarships are very important to you is that the higher the school’s ranking, the less they need to offer scholarships in order to attract students. So if you really need scholarship funding, you may want to consider broadening the range of schools you apply to to include some lower-ranked programs that are more likely to offer financial incentives.

Question 9 Hey Admissionado I heard some people saying think about getting into colleges right now because even if you’re graduating in 2023 there are chances you won’t get jobs? So what’s your take on this shall we go for 2021 intake for MiM or MiF in colleges like HEC , ESSEC , DUKE ?
Answer: Nipungupta9081: No one has a crystal ball, unfortunately, especially not in this crazy year of 2020. It’s notoriously difficult to predict macro job cycles, and it’s certainly something beyond your control. As such, I would recommend that you make the decision about enrollment timing based on your personal situation, rather than trying to second-guess the job market next year or 2-3 years down the road. Ask yourself whether you’re satisfied with your current job trajectory or whether now is a smart time to go back to school and invest in your education; financial considerations matter as well. Ultimately only you can make that call for yourself!

Question 10 Will a good gmat score help you cover up for an otherwise pretty unimpressive CV (i.e average undergrad score, not much work experience) ?
Answer: Ishita178: Any masters application is a sum of many parts, and no single part dominates over all the others. A strong GMAT score is definitely a plus, but if it’s not matched by a strong undergrad track record and/or relevant work experience, it will likely not carry your entire application. There are other aspects of the application too, however -- how you frame your story in your personal statement is important, however, and letters of recommendation can make a big difference as well.

Question 11 what variation on the GRE is acceptable w.r.t a median score? Like if a uni’s median is 330, how low could i go possibly without hurting my chances?
Answer: kitty90: Generally, we recommend that you aim to score at or above the school’s median in order to be a competitive applicant. If you’re anywhere below the median, and especially if you’re more than 30 or so points below the median, then you’ll need to have other elements to your application that are strong to compensate (such as many of the elements we’ve been discussing on this thread).

Question 12 will the undergrad ranking matter while applying to the top schools?
Answer: tanu11: The reputation of your undergrad institution is an important factor, yes, but it’s not the only thing that matters. Plenty of applicants who don’t come from Ivy League colleges or the equivalent in their home countries get into top masters programs. What matters there is being able to demonstrate outstanding academic ability within your undergrad context, success in the workplace if you have work experience, etc.

Question 13 To add on to the scholarship question, what criteria do schools primarily use to give scholarships? Is it a need based/financial consideration (they give it to people who are poor) or more of an academic excellence consideration (they give it to people with 780 GMAT scores etc)
Answer: GMATSheep: The criteria for scholarships vary by school, so again, it’s difficult to generalize. However, usually they look at a combination of factors, so both demonstrated financial need and quality of your application come into play.

Question 14 If I have an average undergrad performance but i am able to get a 600+ score in gmat, will that give me much advantage for my MIM application ?
Answer: Ishita178: As I mentioned earlier, these applications are holistic and comprise many different elements, with no single element being more important than the others. Certainly a high GMAT score will contribute positively to your application, but a GMAT score by itself won’t compensate for weaknesses in other areas of your profile. And remember that the personal statement and letters of recommendation are extremely important as well, not just the elements in your past like test scores or undergrad GPA. The good news there is that the personal statement in particular is within your control, unlike other parts of your application, which is one reason why our Admissionado team places so much emphasis on the essays!

Question 15 Well actually I’m just a student right now graduated this year only , and probably gonna take a loan for MiM . Just wanna know is it worth the ROI you know. Taking a loan will be nothing if I don’t get a job after getting a degree from a good college
Answer: Nipungupta9081: Again, the ROI for a masters program really depends on what kind of job you wish to seek after graduation. If your future goals make sense with your pre-masters experience / background, and if you attend a well-regarded masters program, then in general your employment prospects will improve. But the specific calculation on ROI will depend on what kind of employment you’re seeking and what kind of salary you can expect to make. Usually we recommend looking at a masters degree as a long-term investment over your entire career, rather than focusing only on your first job after graduation

Question 16 while applying will my undergrad ranking matter? i m planning to apply in the round 3/4, what will my chances be?
Answer: tanu11: Please see my answer earlier in this thread regarding undergrad ranking. Usually we advise clients against applying any later than Round 1 or 2. The later you wait in any given application cycle, the more spots are taken already, so your chances of admission tend to get slimmer.

Thank You so much Guys for attending Session.
We Appreciate your Presence there and hope to see you in upcoming sessions as well, for more information, click onto the following link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/youtube-chat ... 34429.html

Regards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 493
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hey Admissionado I am wondering if you could answer another question. I am a Canadian born Chinese male who attended a Canadian University. I am wondering if my ethnicity background will weigh down on my Masters Application. As my ethnicity background is overrepresented, would this entail higher gmat scores (stronger parts of the application) to make myself more competitive?
Thanks in Advance
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
yashikaaggarwal wrote:

Today's Chat Session Main Highlights

(For those Who Missed it)

Thanks so much yashikaaggarwal for posting the summary of the chat. I am also grateful to all MS applicants who submitted their questions in advance & attended this session.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
3137 posts