Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Fire Alarm Went Off at Test Center During Exam [#permalink]
Kinshook wrote:
Hi pinkchiffonrose
"schedule a new GMAT examination at a discounted rate of $100" should mean that you need to pay only $100 to schedule a new GMAT examination.
But I suggest that you contact GMAC and clearly state that it was not your fault so you need not pay any money.

pinkchiffonrose wrote:
I took the GMAT exam at a Pearson Vue test center two weeks ago and a fire alarm started going off in the middle of the exam. The lights on the fire alarm started flashing first for about two minutes before the actual alarm began to sound. The fire alarm was sounding for three or four minutes before the test center shut down everyone's computers to pause everyone's exams. They did not have us evacuate, but told us we could take a bathroom break if we wanted. The fire alarm continued to go off for around another 20 minutes or so, so we were all just standing around until the fire department arrived to shut off the alarm. We were able to resume our exams once the fire alarm was turned off, and the test center put in tickets for everyone taking an exam at the time. Our exams ended up resuming at the point where the test center had shut down everyone's computers. I ended up cancelling my score as the fire alarm blaring did the opposite of help while I was trying to think during the exam.

I contacted GMAT Customer Service with my ticket number and finally got a response yesterday stating that I would be able to "schedule a new GMAT examination at a discounted rate of $100". Does anyone else find that wording vague and could be taken to mean that the exam is either going cost $100 or I can get $100 off the exam?

Has anyone else experienced a disruption at the test center and contacted GMAT Customer Service about it? If so, what were your responses?

I feel like a discounted rate of $100, whether that means the exam is $100 or if I get $100 off the exam, doesn't really make up for not being able to take in what would be considered a "similar condition" (as stated on page 9 of the GMAT Handbook) to other test takers, as I doubt most test takers had to take the exam while hearing a fire alarm for several minutes.

On pages 25-26 of the GMAT Handbook, it states that test center disruptions should lead to a cancellation of my score with a reason code "T" for testing issue. Shouldn't having to take the exam during a fire alarm qualify as a test center disruption?

I Second that its not your fault and to compensate for your loss they offered you another attempt for only 100$.The reason that they simply offered you a discounted rate is that taking test requires resources and they cost $.one reason may be that GMAC may not be paying the cost to the test center as its the test center's fault and is charging you for the rest of the part. But yes, you should definitely build a case stating that you deserve a free of cost re-test.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fire Alarm Went Off at Test Center During Exam [#permalink]