Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [7]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [2]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bloomberg Exam Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A boatman rows to a place 48 km distant and back in 14 hours. He finds [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
A boatman rows to a place 48 km distant and back in 14 hours. He finds that he can row 4 km with the stream in the same time as 3 km against the stream. Find the rate of the stream.

A. 1 km/h
B. 2 km/h
C. 3 km/h
D. 4 km/h
E. 5 km/h

You could go through the trouble of setting up equations and solving them. But if you think about it, you can use the fact that the distances with and against the stream are the same to make the problem much easier.

Since the distances are the same, the rates will be inversely proportional to the times. (Note: this wouldn't work if the distances were different each way.) Since the ratio for rates is 4:3, the times will be 3:4. Therefore, the time will be:

> Time, with stream: \(\frac{3}{7} × 14 = 6\) hours

> Time, against stream: \(\frac{4}{7} × 14 = 8\) hours

By the formula \(Rate = \frac{Distance}{Time}\), you get

> Rate, with stream: \(\frac{48}{6} = 8\) km/h

> Rate, against stream: \(\frac{48}{8} = 6\) km/h

Don't be fooled into thinking the answer is 2. The stream adds for the with-stream rate and subtracts for the against-stream rate. So, the no-stream rate must be 7 km/h and the speed of the stream must be (A) 1 km/h.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [1]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
A boatman rows to a place 48 km distant and back in 14 hours. He finds [#permalink]