Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [48]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [5]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: 3 years to 730 | MikeScarn [#permalink]
Congratulations MikeScarn on 730!

Your hard work paid off!! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Mizar18, yes, I've added my CATs to the post.

bb gmat1393 thank you!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Congratulations Mike, happy for you! Now, go and get the applications done and get into your dream school. All the best :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow. Great job keeping a neat history of your scores! And just noticed - good idea and awesome job with the Retake after 3 weeks! It really worked out! Q50! I only got Q49 ?

Posted from my mobile device
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 214
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Great learning Journey! Congratulations! Hard work indeed pays.
All the best for Applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Congratulations Mike! Well deserved. Good luck with applications.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5739 [2]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
My man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We’ll do a debrief with you. A hardy congratulations to you Sir and enjoy that full ride to Duke!!!!!!!

Couldn’t be happier for you (see true exclamation marks)!!!!!!

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great work!! Thank you for sharing your story and good luck with things moving forward.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
What an incredible story and that too in a well needed time especially for me. Congratulations on Q50 :thumbsup:

Can you let me know what you changed in terms of preparation in 3 months between Online GMAT and the latest one. Q42 to Q50 is an amazing feat and i would certainly take some pointers from you.

All the best for your applications.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [3]
Send PM
3 years to 730 | MikeScarn [#permalink]
Kudos
abhimahna fauji nightblade354 SRH750 Thank you! I think I'm going to enjoy a lot of wine this weekend. That okay with y'all?

akadiyan wrote:
What an incredible story and that too in a well needed time especially for me. Congratulations on Q50 :thumbsup:

Can you let me know what you changed in terms of preparation in 3 months between Online GMAT and the latest one. Q42 to Q50 is an amazing feat and i would certainly take some pointers from you.

akadiyan, thank you! While I'm still in denial that I scored a Q50, I will say this: If you're later in your Quant prep, and you're already familiar with the concepts, practice OG questions. Other sources can be great in helping you solidify your understanding, or even learn concepts for the first time. But if you're a veteran and getting ready for an exam in the coming weeks, I would urge you to stick to the OG.

And finally, take shots. There's no shame in taking the GMAT all 8 times if need be. Remember...
Attachments

Michael Scott - Philosopher.jpg
Michael Scott - Philosopher.jpg [ 68.11 KiB | Viewed 8752 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
MikeScarn wrote:
abhimahna fauji nightblade354 SRH750 Thank you! I think I'm going to enjoy a lot of wine this weekend. That okay with y'all?

akadiyan wrote:

akadiyan, thank you! While I'm still in denial that I scored a Q50, I will say this: If you're later in your Quant prep, and you're already familiar with the concepts, practice OG questions. Other sources can be great in helping you solidify your understanding, or even learn concepts for the first time. But if you're a veteran and getting ready for an exam in the coming weeks, I would urge you to stick to the OG.

And finally, take shots. There's no shame in taking the GMAT all 8 times if need be. Remember...

MikeScarn Hell Ya!!! Have a great weekend. Cheers mate. So happy for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Yeah you deserve it. Most good things come with PATIENCE. For you folks out there go for it. No score is unachievable ,including the perfect score 800. :)
MikeScarn wrote:
3 years to 730

The GMAT is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.

Though I did not take an initial Diagnostic (because I was afraid it would discourage me), I estimate that my baseline was around Q27 V28 ~480~

Background
Went to a small, non-prestigious school in the South. Got a degree in Marketing. Was always a well-rounded student in high school and college. I usually got a ~3.6 GPA. What I lacked in test performance, I made up for with hard work. I always felt I spent twice as much time studying as the smart kids in order to get similar scores.

I always thought standardized tests were some sort of an IQ test, so I wrote them off thinking that I wasn’t smart enough to do well. While not confident in my natural abilities, I have always prided myself on my perseverance and work ethic… The GMAT has taken that pride to a whole new level.

When I initially started my gmatprep, I thought it would be great to go to a well-known in-state school. But after stumbling upon some inspiring GMAT debriefs, I learned that the GMAT could be learned and that it wasn’t a test of natural intellect after all. It could be conquered through hard work. This was very exciting for me, so I decided I would do whatever it takes and would muscle my way to a score that I would have never dreamed of. “Even if it takes me years!” I said… Little did I know that it would literally take me 3 years lol.

Phase 1 - Quant
Shortly after undergrad in the fall of 2017, I began my GMAT journey. As an American with a Marketing Degree, I knew I would be starting from the bottom in Quant. I was right. In my first Gmat Club Quant CAT, I scored a Q27. I exclusively studied Quant for 1 year. In September of 2018, I scored a Q46 in a Veritas CAT. I decided to call that a win and look at Verbal for the very first time.

Phase 2 - Verbal
In September 2018, I took my very first look at Verbal. As I mentioned, I scored a V30 in a Veritas CAT. As a native speaker, I had always assumed that my Verbal baseline would be relatively high, and that all I really needed to do was conquer Quant. I was on the home stretch (I foolishly thought)!

Long story short, I spent ~9 months~ almost exclusively studying Verbal. So naturally, my Quant abilities faded.

Phase 3 - Quant and Verbal
I started consistently taking full length CATs in the Summer of 2019. I didn’t get my first 700+ CAT score until September 2019 when I scored 710 on GMAT Prep #2. Unfortunately, 10 days later, on my very first Official GMAT I scored a Q42 V37 650. Then, after 3 months of intense Quant Prep, in December 2019, I scored a Q47 V28 610.

Long story short, I moved across the country for a new job, but continued to study during my free time. Finally, today, September 21st 2020, I achieved my goal.

Test Day Experience 9/21/20:

Same routine as always:
I made a nice breakfast. Did some warm up questions and reviewed flashcards while eating. Had a cold shower. Made some coffee. Relaxed for about 15 minutes and then headed to the test center.

Packing list:
  • Drivers License
  • Mask
  • Coffee for the car ride
  • Protein Bar and Red Bull for the breaks in-between sections

Quant:
Overall, it felt pretty good. There were some tough DS’ that due to time, I just had to guess between C or E. But overall, nothing too hard.

Verbal:
The CRs felt really hard. I grasped the stems decently well, but some of the answer choices were tricky
SCs were meh.
RCs I grasped well, but like CR, they had some tricky answer choices.
I had to rush through the last 4 questions (2 SCs and 2 CSR) due to time.

With a tired brain, I clicked my way through IR and typed up AWA without too much effort. I closed my eyes for a few seconds and prayed that the next screen would have a 7 in the hundreds place.

Q50 V38 - 730!!!!

Guys, seriously, I never dreamed of Q50. My goal has always been Q47-Q49. I couldn’t believe it… I still don’t believe it. I was absolutely ecstatic. I walked outside of the test center and yelled pretty loudly.

Got to my car and messaged harvard2019 with the good news. He called me to congratulate me.

I drove home and blasted hype music the whole time.

Thanks
bb - Thank you for building this website and community. Without it, I would have never been inspired to shoot for the stars. I owe you a beer the next time we’re in the same city and COVID is gone. And thank you for the encouragement and support.
Bunuel - I learned most of my Quant fundamentals through your explanations as well as the Gmatclub Math Book. Thank you for your contributions to gmatclub.
GMATNinja - You’re the man. Thanks for being the Verbal version of Bunuel. I learned much of my Verbal fundamentals through your elegant and sometimes funny explanations.
nightblade354, Arro44, harvard2019, billionaire, emockus, mykrasovski, and many more through the years - Thank you for your guidance and support along the way. Knowing that you guys were out there studying as well made it easier for me to decide to spend my time studying.

Official Test Scores:
  • GMAT #1 | 9/11/2019 | Q42 | V37 | 650
  • GMAT #2 | 12/19/2019 | Q47 | V28 | 610
  • Online GMAT 6/29/2020 Q42 | V39 | 660
  • GMAT #3 | 7/27/2020 | Q44 | V35 | 650
  • GMAT #4 | 9/01/2020 | Q44 | V41 | 690
  • GMAT #5 | 9/21/2020 | Q50 | V38 | 730

Interesting Notes:
- I lived in 3 different cities, and had 3 different jobs/roles throughout this journey. Switching jobs and moving to new places is time consuming!
- According to my Master Spreadsheet, I have 1239 hours of dedicated study time. This is probably a conservative number.

GMAT CATs

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Hey Mike, congratulations, I am super happy for you and I really look forward to hear from your experiences at b-school as well! So well deserved mate!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
If people can modify their thoughts and understand that the GMAT is a very learnable test, then they would be well on their way to a good score. Also, understand that the GMAT (and the GRE) have never ever been "IQ" tests. They are aptitude tests and as such are amenable to intelligent studying.

Not many testtakers have the means to be able to take the GMAT many times. Only a fortunate few are able to do so. There is an in-built bias in such tests that favor retakers.

Thanks for sharing your story, Good luck!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63664 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations, MikeScarn! I LOVE LOVE LOVE posts like these. You battled your butt off for YEARS, and deserve every point of that 730. It's inspiring as heck, and far more impressive to me than the people who fall out of bed, study lightly for a few weeks, and then get a 730. You deserve so much credit for the heart and work ethic you've needed to get to this score.

MikeScarn, if you're ever passing through Denver post-covid, let me know, and let's grab a meal or a drink. Congratulations again! So thrilled to see this have a happy ending for you. Thank you for making my day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Congratulations, MikeScarn! I LOVE LOVE LOVE posts like these. You battled your butt off for YEARS, and deserve every point of that 730. It's inspiring as heck, and far more impressive to me than the people who fall out of bed, study lightly for a few weeks, and then get a 730. You deserve so much credit for the heart and work ethic you've needed to get to this score.

MikeScarn, if you're ever passing through Denver post-covid, let me know, and let's grab a meal or a drink. Congratulations again! So thrilled to see this have a happy ending for you. Thank you for making my day.

Sir, aren't you making a comparison error here? You are apparently comparing a story with "the people." Please correct me if I am wrong. Massive fan of yours btw!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Congratluations Mike! Definitely well deserved. I remember when you first became moderator on here and were studying with me! Great to see you're moving on to the next phase of your life!

I know your struggle and pain all too well and it definitely takes a special breed of grit to stick to a dogged lifestyle for such a long period of time, making precise calculated decisions about how and what levers you need to pull to escalate your score up.

Well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) :) :)

The unparalleled joy you must be experiencing right now is all worth it.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts