Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Given Kudos: 249
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Astronomers theorize that a black hole forms when a massive object [#permalink]
Got 3 out of 4
This one was incorrect.

1. The skeptics mentioned in the first paragraph would be most likely to agree with the astronomers mentioned in line 13 about which of the following statements concerning the galaxy M87?

(A) The speed of the gas whirling around the center of M87 is caused by a dense object that is not a black hole.

(B) The concentration of mass at the center of M87 is probably a large cluster of dim stars.

(C) The presence of a black hole at the center of M87 is the most likely explanation for the speed of the gas whirling about the galaxy’s core.

(D) The speed of the gas whirling around the center of M87 is caused by a large concentration of mass at the core of M87.

(E) The gravitational influence of a star cluster would not be strong enough to account for the speed of the gas whirling around the core of M87.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
patto wrote:
GMATNinja Would you please explain why C is the correct answer for question 4?

Hi

Let me try to address your query:

4. The passage is primarily concerned with

With a preliminary reading of the passage, we can gather that the first paragraph talks about the existence of black holes and also mentions a possible specific black hole. The second paragraph gives another instance of a possible black hole occurrence, considers an alternative explanation and then rejects it.

With this, let us examine the answer options.

(A) explaining why a particular phenomenon is so rare Neither paragraph talks about black holes being "rare" or otherwise. Eliminate.

(B) criticizing a method used to gather data about a natural phenomenon The second paragraph can be considered a negative view on a topic, however, neither paragraph really criticizes "method used to gather data". Eliminate.

(C) considering possible instances of a particular phenomenon This appears the most promising. The passage considers possible instances of black holes in different galaxies.

(D) distinguishing among several different kinds of natural phenomena The entire passage deals with black holes and, potentially, star clusters only. This cannot be considered "several" kinds of natural phenomena. Eliminate.

(E) questioning a widely accepted explanation for an unusual phenomenon The passage does present an alternate explanation to that of a black hole in a couple of instances. However, we do not know if black holes are a "widely accepted explanation" from the passage. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Astronomers theorize that a black hole forms when a massive object [#permalink]
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
patto wrote:
GMATNinja Would you please explain why C is the correct answer for question 4?

Hi

Let me try to address your query:

With a preliminary reading of the passage, we can gather that the first paragraph talks about the existence of black holes and also mentions a possible specific black hole. The second paragraph gives another instance of a possible black hole occurrence, considers an alternative explanation and then rejects it.

With this, let us examine the answer options.

(A) explaining why a particular phenomenon is so rare Neither paragraph talks about black holes being "rare" or otherwise. Eliminate.

(B) criticizing a method used to gather data about a natural phenomenon The second paragraph can be considered a negative view on a topic, however, neither paragraph really criticizes "method used to gather data". Eliminate.

(C) considering possible instances of a particular phenomenon This appears the most promising. The passage considers possible instances of black holes in different galaxies.

(D) distinguishing among several different kinds of natural phenomena The entire passage deals with black holes and, potentially, star clusters only. This cannot be considered "several" kinds of natural phenomena. Eliminate.

(E) questioning a widely accepted explanation for an unusual phenomenon The passage does present an alternate explanation to that of a black hole in a couple of instances. However, we do not know if black holes are a "widely accepted explanation" from the passage. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.

Hi CrackVerbalGMAT - I have doubts about your explanation for E. The passage states the following: "Most astronomers believe that the large concentration of mass at the galaxy's center is a black hole whose gravity is causing the gas to whirl" This clearly mentions "MOST astronomers believe...black hole..." How is this not widely accepted?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Astronomers theorize that a black hole forms when a massive object [#permalink]
Can someone please provide the explanation of the answers of the first 4 questions
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Send PM
Top Contributor
samgyupsal wrote:
Hi CrackVerbalGMAT - I have doubts about your explanation for E. The passage states the following: "Most astronomers believe that the large concentration of mass at the galaxy's center is a black hole whose gravity is causing the gas to whirl" This clearly mentions "MOST astronomers believe...black hole..." How is this not widely accepted?

Hi Sam

This (the statement about "most astronomers" believing) is specific to the galaxy M87. The passage goes on to mention another galaxy NGC 4258 and considers an alternative explanation for that particular galaxy. Then it goes on to state that alternative explanation to be unlikely.

Question (4) talks about the primary idea of the passage as a whole. The passage does not only deal with the M87 galaxy and nor is it the primary idea being discussed in the passage. If we were to consider the passage as a whole, it does not clarify whether black holes, in general, are a widely accepted phenomenon. If we were to consider the alternative explanation of star clusters, there too the passage is unclear about whether it is widely accepted. Hence, whichever explanation we consider, the part about it being widely accepted, in general, is unclear.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
roopika2990 wrote:
Astronomers theorize that a black hole forms when a massive object shrinks catastrophically under its own gravity, leaving only a gravitational field so strong that nothing escapes it. Astronomers must infer the existence of black holes, which are invisible, from their gravitational influence on the visible bodies surrounding them. For example, observations indicate that gas clouds in galaxy M87 are whirling unusually fast about the galaxy’s center. Most astronomers believe that the large concentration of mass at the galaxy’s center is a black hole whose gravity is causing the gas to whirl. A few skeptics have argued that the concentration of mass necessary to explain the speed of the whirling gas is not necessarily a black hole: the concentration in M87 might be a cluster of a billion or so dim stars.

The same hypothesis might have been applied to the galaxy NGC 4258, but the notion of such a cluster’s existing in NGC 4258 was severely undermined when astronomers measured the speed of a ring of dust and gas rotating close to the galaxy’s center. From its speed, they calculated that the core’s density is more than 40 times the density estimated for any other galaxy. If the center of NGC 4258 were a star cluster, the stars would be so closely spaced that collisions between individual stars would have long ago torn the cluster apart.

1. The skeptics mentioned in the first paragraph would be most likely to agree with the astronomers mentioned in line 13 about which of the following statements concerning the galaxy M87?

(A) The speed of the gas whirling around the center of M87 is caused by a dense object that is not a black hole.

(B) The concentration of mass at the center of M87 is probably a large cluster of dim stars.

(C) The presence of a black hole at the center of M87 is the most likely explanation for the speed of the gas whirling about the galaxy’s core.

(D) The speed of the gas whirling around the center of M87 is caused by a large concentration of mass at the core of M87.

(E) The gravitational influence of a star cluster would not be strong enough to account for the speed of the gas whirling around the core of M87.

2. The passage asserts which of the following about the existence of black holes?

(A) Astronomers first speculated about the existence of black holes when they observed gas whirling around the center of a particular galaxy.

(B) Evidence used to argue for the existence of black holes is indirect, coming from their presumed effects on other astronomical bodies.

(C) Recent observations of certain astronomical bodies have offered proof.

(D) A considerable body of evidence suggests the existence of black holes, even though their behavior is not completely consistent with the laws of physics.

(E) Many astronomers are skeptical about certain recent evidence that has been used to argue for the existence of black holes.

3. Which of the following, if true, would most clearly undermine the possible explanation for the whirling gas in M87 that is mentioned in the last sentence of the first paragraph?

(A) The stars in a star cluster at the center of M87 could exert a strong gravitational force without tearing the cluster apart.

(B) A cluster of stars at the center would preclude the existence of certain other astronomical phenomena that have been observed at the center of M87.

(C) The stars within many existing galaxies, such as NGC 4258, are more closely spaced than are the stars within the core of M87.

(D) Only one other galaxy has been observed to contain gas clouds whirling about its center as they do about the core of M87.

(E) The gravitational force of a cluster of a billion or so dim stars would be sufficient to cause a whirling ring of gas and dust to collect around the center of a galaxy.

(A) explaining why a particular phenomenon is so rare

(B) criticizing a method used to gather data about a natural phenomenon

(C) considering possible instances of a particular phenomenon

(D) distinguishing among several different kinds of natural phenomena

(E) questioning a widely accepted explanation for an unusual phenomenon

FEATURE 24 June 1995
Obscure objects of Desire
By Marcus Chown

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg14619834-200-obscure-objects-of-desire/

Hi CrackVerbalGMAT GMATNinja

In question 3, can you plz. help me understand what is referred to as "certain other astronomical phenomena that have been observed at the center of M87 in the correct option B?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
I’d love to hear any feedback from ppl.

Is there anyone who approaches RC passages and does not write anything down? I’ve tested the following method out on the last few passages I’ve done: I read very carefully and slowly, summarizing each paragraph in my head when I finish.

On several of the last few passages, I’ve observed that my accuracy has increased significantly.

Does anyone else fall in this category? I know GMATNinja mentioned how certain ppl learn and absorb information differently (kinesthetic learners??).

Just wants to know if I’m the only one or perhaps there is at least someone who is in my boat. Every time I take any notes, it takes my focus away from the passage.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
shanks2020 wrote:

In question 3, can you plz. help me understand what is referred to as "certain other astronomical phenomena that have been observed at the center of M87 in the correct option B?

Hi Shanks

The passage does not mention any "other astronomical phenomena that have been observed at the center of M87". However, Q3 asks us to "undermine the possible explanation for the whirling gas in M87 that is mentioned in the last sentence of the first paragraph". This explanation is that, "the concentration in M87 might be a cluster of a billion or so dim stars".

As per option (B), this star cluster would rule out other phenomena which have been observed at the center of M87. Even though we do not know what exactly these phenomena are, we do know (from the answer option) that they have been "observed". Hence, they must definitely be true/exist. If the star cluster would rule these phenomena out, then it clearly "undermines" the presence of the "cluster of a billion or so dim stars", which is only a hypothesized explanation as given in the passage (" the concentration in M87 might be..."). Hence, it is not necessary for us to know what exactly these "phenomena" are, as long as we are sure that they exist.

Hope this clarifies.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
shanks2020 wrote:

Hi Shanks

The passage does not mention any "other astronomical phenomena that have been observed at the center of M87". However, Q3 asks us to "undermine the possible explanation for the whirling gas in M87 that is mentioned in the last sentence of the first paragraph". This explanation is that, "the concentration in M87 might be a cluster of a billion or so dim stars".

As per option (B), this star cluster would rule out other phenomena which have been observed at the center of M87. Even though we do not know what exactly these phenomena are, we do know (from the answer option) that they have been "observed". Hence, they must definitely be true/exist. If the star cluster would rule these phenomena out, then it clearly "undermines" the presence of the "cluster of a billion or so dim stars", which is only a hypothesized explanation as given in the passage (" the concentration in M87 might be..."). Hence, it is not necessary for us to know what exactly these "phenomena" are, as long as we are sure that they exist.

Hope this clarifies.

Hi CrackVerbalGMAT

Sorry, but i did not get the logic behind it. Let me explain.
The passage hypothesize that the center mass might be cluster of stars.
Now this option B mentions that THIS star cluster rules out CERTAIN other phenomenon observed at the center of M87.
If i look closely, it does not mention any other phenomenon or all phenomenon. That means that "Certain" could be anything.
Moreover, it does not rule out that that cluster of stars are not those which are causing the whirling of gas. In fact, it strenghtens it by stating something else is not there/so it is like ruling out alternate causes.
AndrewN may be you can provide your thoughts too!!!
But the question asks to undermine the statement.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Send PM