Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64897 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better [#permalink]
Quote:
Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.

(A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.
(B) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success.
(C) Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband.
(D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.
(E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his.

Request Expert Reply:
Hi honorable experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, VeritasPrepHailey, BrightOutlookJenn, AjiteshArun and other experts
Q1: In choice D, 'her' is the proper antecedent for 'Elizabeth Barrett Browning's', but how 'she' is the antecedent of 'Elizabeth Barrett Browning's'?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better [#permalink]
Expert Reply
skycastle19 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Could you please help explain why "was considered" is used rather than "had been considered"? Is there a time sequence between "was considered" and "was overshadowed", since the question indicates that EBB's success was LATER overshadowed by that of her husband?

The past perfect is certainly acceptable when there are two past actions occurring at different times. But that doesn't mean that the past perfect is always required in such situations. For example:

"Tim drank a beer and later studied for the GMAT."

In choice (D), the use of the word "later" makes the sequence of events perfectly clear, so there is really no need for the past perfect. More importantly, only one option, (C), features the past perfect, and that option has to be eliminated for other reasons.

For more on the nuances of verb tenses, check out this video.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Request Expert Reply:
Hi honorable experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, VeritasPrepHailey, BrightOutlookJenn, AjiteshArun and other experts
Q1: In choice D, 'her' is the proper antecedent for 'Elizabeth Barrett Browning's', but how 'she' is the antecedent of 'Elizabeth Barrett Browning's'?

This demonstrates why it's a bad idea to come up with black and white rules based on what we see in correct/incorrect answer choices! Yes, for clarity, we typically avoid using subject pronouns (i.e. "she") with possessive nouns (i.e. "Elizabeth Barrett Browning's").

But this is a convention, not a rule. The other choices have bigger problems, so we are forced to go against this convention -- thanks a lot, GMAT! (And yes: I've made the mistake of suggesting that the GMAT treated this as a rule in the past. I was wrong to do that.)

Remember, grammar "rules" are designed to improve clarity. In (D), there is really no question that "she" refers to "Elizabeth Barrett Browning." So I guess we have to live with it. :roll:

I hope that helps a bit!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
This one is inherently about meaning and I myself, admittedly, missed the error in B (and elsewhere)

Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.

(A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.X

There are two errors here. The first error is that the subordinate clause starting with 'although' is followed up by 'later' after the comma. Browning should follow the comma. Error #2 is the sentence conveys that Barrett herself was overshadowed by her husband's success when it should be the case that her success was overshadowed by his (success).

(B) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning was considered among her contemporaries as a better poet than her husband, she was later overshadowed by his success.

Tthe sentence conveys that Barrett herself was overshadowed by her husband's success when it should be the case that her success was overshadowed by his (success).

(C) Later overshadowed by the success of her husband, Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry had been considered among her contemporaries to be better than that of her husband.

This suffers from a modification errior.

(D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet.

Correct

(E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his. X

Browning's poetry cannot be considered than a human being.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
(A) Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better poet than her husband, later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success.

The correct idiomatic use of considered is Consider XY
ie. I consider myself a close friend of John
Not
I consider myself to be a close friend of John
I consider myself as a close friend of John

Same Reason used to nullify option A

Same Reason used to nullify option A

(D) Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet. Correct

(E) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poetry was considered among her contemporaries as better than her husband, but her success was later overshadowed by his.

Here an illogical comparison has been made between EBB's poetry and her husband.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Thanks for your question el1234!

"Consider X as Y" is incorrect, but "Consider X to be Y" is fine to use. "Consider X Y" is also fine to use.

The problem with this sentence is that you have to find the correct idiom to convey the meaning you're looking for. In this case, "consider X to be Y" is okay because it still conveys the intended meaning.

I hope that helps!

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal - Consider X Y is the correct idiom
-- Do X and Y have to be gramatically parallel ? Example - if X is a noun, does Y HAVE to be a noun ONLY ? If X is a clause, does Y HAVE to be a clause only ?

If so, would a sentence like this be WRONG ?
I consider John wise
- John = noun
- Wise = adjective

Would this be wrong ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
-- Do X and Y have to be gramatically parallel ? Example - if X is a noun, does Y HAVE to be a noun ONLY ? If X is a clause, does Y HAVE to be a clause only ?

Hi jabhatta2,

Until you receive a more complete reply: the complement can be either a noun or an adjective.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

Hi jabhatta2,

Until you receive a more complete reply: the complement can be either a noun or an adjective.

Hi AjiteshArun -thank you for relpying .

Are you saying in my example [I consider John wise] - the adjecive (Wise) is a noun ?

I think these are called Nominalized adjectives. (adjectives that function as nouns as in 'the poor, the rich, the English')

The word "wise" can be used as a noun [The wise tend to be successfull]. In this other example -- the adjective "wise" is actually a noun
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2

Although "the wise" can be used as a noun, that's not what you have in your example. It may help to think of "consider X Y" as meaning "think that X is Y." Note that this works with either a noun or an adjective in the Y position. So if I say "I consider John wise," it means "I think that John is wise" (adjective). If I say "I consider John a terrible musician," it means "I think that John is a terrible musician" (noun phrase).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Are you saying in my example [I consider John wise] - the adjecive (Wise) is a noun ?

Hi jabhatta2,

That wise is an adjective, not a noun.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
raj44 wrote:
But doesnt choice D have a pronoun problem? there's no noun for her/she to refer to , and also the noun that it intends to refer to appears in Apostrophe and pronoun cannot refer to a noun in an apostrophe?

This question has a historical significance in the annals of GMAT anthology :) .

For the first time in the available official sources, was it evident that GMAT is perfectly fine with a subject pronoun referring to a possessive noun.

It had been known for quite some time that GMAT was ok with an object pronoun referring to a possessive noun; however, most GMAT instructors continued to believe that GMAT would not be ok with a subject pronoun referring to a possessive noun.

This question proved otherwise and hence, continues to be a very cited question for this reason.

I think in option D the pronoun "she" is referring to "poet" so looks consistent what GMAT does. GMATNinja do you agree?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I rejected option-D because pronoun "She" do not have antecedent. Can someone help me understand what she refers back to?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HawkArabian wrote:
I rejected option-D because pronoun "She" do not have antecedent. Can someone help me understand what she refers back to?

Hi HawkArabian,

Are you thinking about the "a possessive noun can't be the antecedent for a subject or object pronoun" rule? That "rule" is a problematic one, at best. Generally speaking, we should try not to treat it as an "absolute" rule (that, or maybe not use it all).
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
HawkArabian wrote:

Hello HawkArabian,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "she" refers to "Elizabeth Barrett Browning".

As AjiteshArun has said, the rule that only possessive pronouns can refer to possessive nouns is not one that the GMAT really follows anymore; thus, a subject or object pronoun can be used to refer to the base of a possessive noun.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMATNinja
You mentioned in one of your videos (about Pronouns) that it is a GMAT rule that the pronoun can never refer back to possessive ('s). For example - Amber's husband eats so much that she calls him a pig. Here, 'she' can't refer back to 'Amber' as per this rule and 'she' doesn't have an antecedent.
Isn't this rule getting broken here?
TIA!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Although she was considered among her contemporaries to be the better [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ktzsikka

Actually, that is not a rule that the GMAT uses. Long ago, we taught that it was, but the GMAT showed otherwise. Live and learn!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
ktzsikka wrote:
Isn't this rule getting broken here?

Except for very few topics (such as Subject-verb agreement), there aren't many iron-clad rules in SC; they are mostly preferences.

This post should give you more clarity on the issue being discussed.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts