Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619001 [19]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: In a certain orchestra, each musician plays exactly one instrument. If [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In a certain orchestra, each musician plays exactly one instrument. If 1/5 of the musicians play brass instruments, and the number of musicians playing wind instruments is 2/3 greater than the number of musicians playing brass instruments, what fraction of the musicians in the orchestra play neither brass nor wind instruments?

A. 1/5
B. 2/5
C. 7/15
D. 8/15
E. 2/3

Solution:

Since 1/5 of the musicians play brass instruments and 1/5 x 5/3 = 1/3 of musicians play wind instruments, then 1 - 1/5 - 1/3 = 15/15 - 3/15 - 5/15 = 7/15 of the musicians in the orchestra play neither brass nor wind instruments.

Answer: C

Hi TTP,

Please correct my approach :

total musicians = n
brass musi = 1/5(n) = n/5
wild musi = 2/3(n) + brass musi = 2n/3 + n/5 = 13n/15

brass + wild = 16n/15
total musi = Brass + Wild + neither
n = 16n/15 + x
x= n/15
x/n = (n/15) / n = 1/15

i am not sure where i messed it up!! i tried to understand your method but the above highlighted part is bit confusing!! Please shed some light

Kudos in advance :)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: In a certain orchestra, each musician plays exactly one instrument. If [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
In a certain orchestra, each musician plays exactly one instrument. If 1/5 of the musicians play brass instruments, and the number of musicians playing wind instruments is 2/3 greater than the number of musicians playing brass instruments, what fraction of the musicians in the orchestra play neither brass nor wind instruments?

A. 1/5
B. 2/5
C. 7/15
D. 8/15
E. 2/3

Let total no of musicians be 15
So, Total no of brass instruments players is 3
And, Total no of wind instruments players is 5
And, Total no of musicians not playing wind instuments and brass instruments is 7
Thus, fraction of the musicians in the orchestra play neither brass nor wind instruments is 7/15, Answer must be (C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Can you please help me understand the 5/3 number, how is that arrived? I am stuck at that 5/3 number, the question says 2/3 greater that Brass brass is 1/5 of total. Please explain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [2]
Given Kudos: 1608
Send PM
Kudos
RanjeetRRoy wrote:
Can you please help me understand the 5/3 number, how is that arrived? I am stuck at that 5/3 number, the question says 2/3 greater that Brass brass is 1/5 of total. Please explain.

The 5/3 number is got through the following way:
If the number of brass players be X
Then number of wind players will be 2/3X + X =5/3 X
As wind players are 2/3 greater than that of brass players .

Now X which is number of brass players is 1/5 of the total number of musicians .
So 5/3X =5/3*1/5*total number of musicians
which is equal to 1/3 of total number of musicians.

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
SuryaNouliGMAT wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 1/5
B. 2/5
C. 7/15
D. 8/15
E. 2/3

Solution:

Since 1/5 of the musicians play brass instruments and 1/5 x 5/3 = 1/3 of musicians play wind instruments, then 1 - 1/5 - 1/3 = 15/15 - 3/15 - 5/15 = 7/15 of the musicians in the orchestra play neither brass nor wind instruments.

Answer: C

Hi TTP,

Please correct my approach :

total musicians = n
brass musi = 1/5(n) = n/5
wild musi = 2/3(n) + brass musi = 2n/3 + n/5 = 13n/15

brass + wild = 16n/15
total musi = Brass + Wild + neither
n = 16n/15 + x
x= n/15
x/n = (n/15) / n = 1/15

i am not sure where i messed it up!! i tried to understand your method but the above highlighted part is bit confusing!! Please shed some light

Kudos in advance :)

The mistake in your calculation is interpreting the sentence "the number of musicians playing wind instruments is 2/3 greater than the number of musicians playing brass instruments" as "the number of musicians playing wind instruments is 2/3 of the total number of musicians plus the number of musicians playing brass instruments". In this context, "2/3 greater than" should be interpreted as "5/3 times as much" (since 1 + 2/3 = 5/3). For such questions, it is really helpful to think in terms of percentages. 2/3 is roughly 66.66 percent; so we can actually rephrase the sentence as "the number of musicians playing wind instruments is 66.66% greater than the number of musicians playing brass instruments", which means that the number of musicians playing wind instruments is 166.66% of the number of musicians playing brass instruments.

Also, in your solution, the line following the equation "n = 16n/15 + x" is incorrect; if we solve this equation for x, we obtain -n/15, not n/15.

The highlighted part in my solution first calculates the fraction of musicians playing wind instruments. As I mentioned above, "2/3 greater than" means "5/3 times as much"; so the number of musicians playing wind instruments is 1/5 * 5/3 = 1/3 of the total number of musicians. Now, since each musician plays exactly one instrument, we have the following equality:

1 = fraction playing brass + fraction playing wind + fraction playing neither

fraction playing neither = 1 - fraction playing brass - fraction playing wind

fraction playing neither = 1 - 1/5 - 1/3 = 15/3 - 3/15 - 5/15 = 7/15
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts