Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
Re: Anxiety ruined my GMAT Test! Help required. [#permalink]
I have the exact same issue. Yoga and meditation have helped. Also solving a lot of questions from weak areas and some soft music everyday

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [2]
Given Kudos: 570
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Anxiety ruined my GMAT Test! Help required. [#permalink]
Kudos
Nishi999777 wrote:
Started my gmat preparations 3 months back and I appeared for the exam yesterday. Reached the GMAT centre on time and checked in. The moment the first verbal question appeared on the screen I went blank. I was unable to concentrate and started panicking and ended up with a mere score of 500 (V20 and Q42). In my mock tests I usually scored in the range of 650 - 710.
Absolutely shattered now but planning to appear for the exam again. Need your advice.

Hi Nishi999777

I can understand your situation. I was in same situation few months ago as you are in, the only difference is I decided to work on my anxiety first and then take the real test. I was getting 690-720 in mocks, and finally got 690 in real exam.

With this preamble, I would recommend you to practice more on tests. You must have to purchase Manhattan or Veritas mocks for additional practice.
They are tougher than real test, so you will have hands on practice on tougher questions and that too with timer. Do not look on the scores in Manhattan or Veritas tests. Real indicator is the official mocks.

Once you finish these mocks, you can give official mocks 3-6. 3-4 is must and 5-6 is optional.

Additionally, I would also advise you before going to the mocks just go through all Quant topics and Verbal basics, and see whether you missed anything in your preparation. If at all you missed a few topics then finish them first revise and then start mocks. Once you consistently get good score on mocks, your anxiety level will reduce. Do not try to eliminate anxiety completely, everyone has some level of anxiety. Our job is to mitigate the effects of anxiety on test and not to become perfect.

Feel free to reach out me for more advise. You can message me in private for your queries. I will be happy to help.

Originally posted by Thelionking1234 on 01 Oct 2020, 10:30.
Last edited by Thelionking1234 on 01 Oct 2020, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thank you everyone for your valuable advice and suggestions.

Will definitely work on my anxiety issues and try some yoga and meditation. I also plan on giving an ample amount of Mock tests . I have completely exhausted the OG tests, so will be purchasing the Manhattan ones.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nishi999777,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT.

Assuming that you took your official practice exams under realistic testing conditions, the results show that, on a good day, you are capable of scoring higher than 500. Thus, it’s quite possible that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. However, it’s also possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Although I’m unsure of how you prepared, it’s possible that, in your preparation, particularly in verbal, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the actual GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests. So, for you to hit your score goal, your preparation, particularly for verbal, probably needs to be more complete, meaning that you have to go through the various types of GMAT questions carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills.

For verbal specifically, you have to become more skilled at clearly defining the differences between trap choices and correct answers. Otherwise, you will get stuck guessing between two choices or be surprised to find that you incorrectly answered questions that you thought you answered correctly. Becoming more skilled in this way takes carefully analyzing all of the answer choices to lots of verbal questions to develop an eye for the logical differences between the choices. In other words, you have to go beyond answering practice questions and reading explanations to doing deep analysis of questions to learn to see everything that is going on in them.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

how to score a 700+ on the GMAT

Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?

If you’d like more specific advice on how to improve your quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach back out. Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
Nishi999777 wrote:
Started my gmat preparations 3 months back and I appeared for the exam yesterday. Reached the GMAT centre on time and checked in. The moment the first verbal question appeared on the screen I went blank. I was unable to concentrate and started panicking and ended up with a mere score of 500 (V20 and Q42). In my mock tests I usually scored in the range of 650 - 710.
Absolutely shattered now but planning to appear for the exam again. Need your advice.

Firstly, what you went through is completely normal. Almost everyone panics on their first attempt so you should definitely give the GMAT another go.
However, you should ask yourself which section you're most comfortable to begin the test with. Is Verbal the right choice? If you are more comfortable with Quant or even IR and Essay, you should lead with that. This will help you relax and get accustomed to the test.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Anxiety ruined my GMAT Test! Help required. [#permalink]
I am much more comfortable with Quant than I am with Verbal. I guess this time will begin with the Quant section to boost my confidence and lower the anxiety level.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM