Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i wouldnt report this...a crime could mean jay-walking or speeding ticket.... dont bother to mention it.. crimes they are looking for are felonies and up...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You must report this incident. Failing to report it would be considered a clear violation of basic ethics.

The best policy is to be as transparent as possible about the event and show the admissions officers that this incident is not indicative of your character. Attempting to conceal the incident would send the opposite message.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
You must report this incident. Failing to report it would be considered a clear violation of basic ethics.

The best policy is to be as transparent as possible about the event and show the admissions officers that this incident is not indicative of your character. Attempting to conceal the incident would send the opposite message.

Hjorts got a point. In any case, I stand by my theory that it wont make a lick of difference on your candidacy so long as you express regret that it happened.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:

What do you mean by be transparent? Can you further explain this?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
jayy178 wrote:
i wouldnt report this...a crime could mean jay-walking or speeding ticket.... dont bother to mention it.. crimes they are looking for are felonies and up...

I know what you mean. An infraction (speeding ticket) is a crime, but people wouldn't mention that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
homefry wrote:
Hjort wrote:

What do you mean by be transparent? Can you further explain this?

No appearance of impropriety. He means that if you come across as reflective, open and honest - in both your strengths and weaknesses, successes and mistakes, you will appear honest and trustworthy.

The thing to say about it something like this:

"In X, I was unfortunately charged with driving under the influence. I had made a poor decision and in a momentary lapse of judgement, I regrettably chose to drink and drive. I am embarassed by the foolishness of my choice, but have since learned from my mistake. "

Short, simple, take responsibility for it, and move on.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
By transparent I simply mean following a policy of full disclosure and not attempting to conceal information from the admissions staff.

Unlike a citation for jaywalking or an ordinary speeding ticket, DUI could be seen as indicative of a serious lapse of judgment and possibly even a substance abuse problem.

Rhyme makes a good point- most likely the admissions staff would simply disregard the offense if it appeared that the candidate was genuinely contrite. On the other hand, if one attempted to conceal it this is the kind of ethical violation that could lead to expulsion.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Should I make it 1 page or 1 paragraph?

Should I also mention that I have never been in trouble with the law (except for this incident)?

Or that I have completed all the required courses, fines, and have my full license and driving rights?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
homefry wrote:
Should I make it 1 page or 1 paragraph?

Should I also mention that I have never been in trouble with the law (except for this incident)?

Or that I have completed all the required courses, fines, and have my full license and driving rights?

1 page? Oh lord no!!! Three sentences. If you harp on it for a page, then they'll wonder about it. If its three sentences they wont think twice. Seriously, do NOT waste a page on it.

It should just say:

I got a DUI. I made a bad choice. I've learned from that mistake.

Say those three sentences. Just say them more eloquently.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: Said'16
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Re: Application with a DUI [#permalink]
Hello! I'm an American, applying to a few business schools in the UK (LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester Business School). I am pretty sure I could be a good fit for OxBridge.

A few years ago, I was stupid enough to get a wet reckless misdemeanor in the States. Of course, I have learned a whole lot. Of course, I don't even think about drinking and driving anymore. But it doesn't change the fact that I have a criminal record now.

That being said, Cambridge specifically asks this: Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence, or debarred from a professional associations, or are you currently involved in proceedings which might lead to such outcomes?

What do I do? A wet reckless misdemeanor in the US - should I disclose it on my application in the UK? Thanks!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
smallkid wrote:
Hello! I'm an American, applying to a few business schools in the UK (LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester Business School). I am pretty sure I could be a good fit for OxBridge.

A few years ago, I was stupid enough to get a wet reckless misdemeanor in the States. Of course, I have learned a whole lot. Of course, I don't even think about drinking and driving anymore. But it doesn't change the fact that I have a criminal record now.

That being said, Cambridge specifically asks this: Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence, or debarred from a professional associations, or are you currently involved in proceedings which might lead to such outcomes?

What do I do? A wet reckless misdemeanor in the US - should I disclose it on my application in the UK? Thanks!

I would go along the lines of Jacksparrow . Look at the law of the state in which you were convicted in, and if it follows that you are not obliged to report it (i.e. first drunk driving offense, misdemeanor, etc... which changes from state to state), there is no reason I can see why you should make yourself trouble by going out of your way to report it much less write an essay about it.

Yes, they can run a background check, but this information should not be available (and martin70 gives very good advice in you checking if it is), and even if it were, if you are not obliged to report it, it would be illegal for them to hold it against you.

Jon
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot