Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Modifiersx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [2]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [11]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them [#permalink]
Kudos
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, --> Verb tense coordinating - capitalized
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter --> illustrations coodinate nothing, Beatrix is the Doer. Ing-modifier after a comma modifies the preceding clause -> In her book illustrations + wrong verb tense again
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter --> correct structure 1st modifies Beatrix, 2nd (which) modifies the illustrations. Correct Verb Tense --> coordinated and capitalizedbut
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations --> Beatrix is not coordinated with narratives...rather illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and --> "in her book illustrations" is a prepositional phrase and it modifies Beartix here, it can not be the referent of THEM here.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mahakmalik wrote:
My two Cents.
the takeaway from this question is that..Beatrix had already coordinated her illustrations........that is why book has been published.the process is still not happening.

One more cent from me:

We know that when two events in a sentence occurred at two different points of time in the past, we are generally required to use past perfect tense for the earlier event. Then why "coordinated" is not expressed in past perfect ("coordinated" occurred prior to "capitalized").

The answer is: we should use past perfect ONLY when we want to emphasize the sequence of the events and the sequence is not clear. Nonetheless, if the sequence is obvious, we often do not need to use past perfect. Another simpler example: I went to the supermarket and bought a pound of bread.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kolheanup wrote:
So After investing 1 lakh rupees and 4th revision of MGM SC,till I am unable to answer the question
Why,i have no answers....

Veritas,Princeton says that GMAT 700 can be cracked in 3 months..

these 3 months are with job or without job...

Some says 2 hours is enough for a day....

I have already convey my mother that in your oldage if you fall ill,please have a 10-15 sleeping pills and die
neither I nor my siblings will be around her to take care

Repeating the same thing n number of times or spending in lakhs is not a solution to get to the mark. Its about how correct your approach is.

I think you actually should talk to some experts before proceeding as you are not clear on the strategy.

Moreover, after the lines "I have already convey my mother that in your oldage if you fall ill,please have a 10-15 sleeping pills and die neither I nor my siblings will be around her to take care", I really think you should reach out to a counselor soon.

kolheanup wrote:
I have 2 options holded,

C and D..I choose D but the answer is C..

why C..because no idea...the answer is C ,becoz i selected D..

apart from that i don' see any error..becoz i selected D...the correct choice C

D is incorrect because it has meaning issue. As I said before, you are not clear on the strategy.

So, my dear friend, Do as I suggested above.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:
kolheanup wrote:
So After investing 1 lakh rupees and 4th revision of MGM SC,till I am unable to answer the question
Why,i have no answers....

Veritas,Princeton says that GMAT 700 can be cracked in 3 months..

these 3 months are with job or without job...

Some says 2 hours is enough for a day....

I have already convey my mother that in your oldage if you fall ill,please have a 10-15 sleeping pills and die
neither I nor my siblings will be around her to take care

Repeating the same thing n number of times or spending in lakhs is not a solution to get to the mark. Its about how correct your approach is.

I think you actually should talk to some experts before proceeding as you are not clear on the strategy.

Moreover, after the lines "I have already convey my mother that in your oldage if you fall ill,please have a 10-15 sleeping pills and die neither I nor my siblings will be around her to take care", I really think you should reach out to a counselor soon.

kolheanup wrote:
I have 2 options holded,

C and D..I choose D but the answer is C..

why C..because no idea...the answer is C ,becoz i selected D..

apart from that i don' see any error..becoz i selected D...the correct choice C

D is incorrect because it has meaning issue. As I said before, you are not clear on the strategy.

So, my dear friend, Do as I suggested above.

kolheanup you may take a look at this one:
how-to-improve-your-verbal-score-213013.html#p1643215

Also please maintain the discussions relevant to the thread topic. In case you have other concerns please address in the respective forums or you may even send me a PM - frustration may flood in and get out of control at times - happens to almost all of us at some point. :-D See this as well:

780-q50-v47-old-fogey-who-me-stop-kidding-boy-190828.html#p1462711
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [5]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Manhattan GMAT SC Navigator Explanation.

Split1) Modifier. the structure of the original sentence is as follows: Subject + ,modifier 1, + modifier 2 + verb...This is problematic because the subject and the verb are too far apart. Modifier 1 = prepositional phrase = does not clearly modify the noun in the preceding phrase (Breatrix), what is modifier 1 supposed to modify? = something that takes place within the illustration? => in this case the best way to say this is: Beatrix Potter capitalized, in her book illustrations => that would be more logical because modifier 1 is referring to Breatrix in the original sentence and that's a weird construction. Modifier 2 refers back to "book illustrations", also uses the pronoun "them" which is looking back to "book illustrations" => this is wrong because "book illustrations" is part of a prepositional phrase (in her book illustrations) which is referring to something else that is not clear what. Very confusing structure. If you have two modifiers one after the other, it should be extremely clear what they both are referring to, this is not the case in the original sentence. A, B and E have this issue.

Split 2) Meaning. The intended meaning of the sentence is: Beatrix Potter coordinated her illustrations and her narratives, she coordinated between the two. In D) it says : "Coordinated with her narratives, Potter, in her book" = this choice says that Beatrix Potter is coordinated with her narratives = wrong meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Although I chose C, I am not very convinced with "which she carefully....".

Should'nt it be "which were carefully coordinated...."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [1]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her
keen observation and love of the natural world.

A. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
Placement of modifier phrase “carefully coordinating …” gives an impression that it modifies “book illustrations” …as that is the subject of the clause preceding the modifier phrase.

B. In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
Same error as A

C. In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
Correct ans

D. Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
Verb-ed modifier “carefully coordinates” illogically modifies the subject “Beatrix Potter”

E. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and
Again, illogical meaning.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rekhabishop wrote:
Although I chose C, I am not very convinced with "which she carefully....".

Should'nt it be "which were carefully coordinated...."

Both are alright:
In the first case, "which" is used as an object (the doer of the action (she) is the subject, "which" is the object - active voice).
In your example "which" is used as subject (hence passive voice - doer of the action (she) is NOT the subject). Another example:

I have a pet dog, which my mother does not like. Correct (the relative clause is in active voice - "which" object of the clause).
I have a pet dog, which is not liked by my mother. Correct (the relative clause is in passive voice - "which" subject of the clause).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [2]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
huntgmat wrote:
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,

(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter

(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter

(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations

(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

I have missed this question twice now. I still do not understand what is wrong with E. I have read all of the comments and explanations. None of them clearly convey what is wrong with E.

"them" clearly refers to "illustrations." There is no pronoun ambiguity.

Some say if you take away "in her book illustrations" then the "them" will not refer to anything. Okay, same goes with (C). If we take away "in her book illustrations", then "which she carefully coordinated..." does not make any sense.

I need an experts' explanation please. GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi,

Why is Option E wrong ?

Thanks !
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [5]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos