Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Schools: HEC LSE MFin "22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [3]
Given Kudos: 503
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q162 V150
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Q49 V23 I need help in verbal section [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Egshig13 wrote:
Dear gmatclubbers,

I took the test this morning and got Q49 V23 (590) :cry: . When I was doing the test RC was the hardest part, I didn't even understand one whole passage and guessed 4 RC questions during the mid section of the verbal. I'm planning to retake the test in 3 months (dedicate that time to verbal preparation). :please:

I have started preparing for the exam from May 2020 (Quant prep from May to August & Verbal prep from August to October). I was taking from V22 to V38 on my official mock exams.

My Mock tests were the following:
GMATPrep 1 /Jul 25 2020/ = Q50 V23 --> 610
GMATPrep 1 retake /Sep 09 2020/ = Q51 V38 --> 740
GMATPrep 2 /Sep 18 2020/ = Q48 V22 --> 590
GMATPrep 3 /Sep 20 2020/ = Q51 V37 --> 730
GMATPrep 4 /Sep 26 2020/ = Q50 V30 --> 660
GMATPrep 3 retake /Oct 04 2020/ = Q50 V29 --> 660
GMATPrep 2 retake /Oct 11 2020/ = Q50 V38 -->720
GMATPrep 5 /Oct 15 2020/ = Q49 V25 --> 620
GMATPrep 6 /Oct 16 2020/ = Q49 V31 --> 670

When I receive my ESR, I will upload it here.

I have prepared my SC from Manhattan SC (finished the book twice) and took OG practice tests.
For CR also prepared from Manhattan CR and did around 80 OG problems.
For RC also prepared from Manhattan RC and did around 20 passages from OG.

I think my approach to Verbal preparation is not working well. I need verbal preparation plan for the next following 3 months. Please give me your valuable advice :please:

Hi,
I was in your situation scoring around 700+ in few exams and below it in others
But consistency is the key, don't give up and get demotivated because it takes lot of time and effort from your part.

1: Since you are already done with GMAT official prep I would suggest you to utilize GMAT club for solving GMAT prep questions. ( Filter GMAT prep Questions and try solve as many as possible). This helped me get into GMAT exam mindset.
2 : Try Answering daily project SC, CR, RC butler questions. Few of them might be simple and few of them tough but the key here is concepts I really loved few detail explanations by generis they are very useful concepts to eliminate the answers for the right reasons.
Try posting explanations for each questions in this set. I agree, initially it might feel like a bit time-consuming but trust me it gives you confidence to eliminate each choice. The more you start typing the more you feel confident.
3: Obvio, if you are an active member in GMAT CLUB you might already have an idea about GMATNinja. He is true verbal ninja. His videos, and explanations for all official questions are great and entertaining too :).
4: Get insights from @bunel for your weak areas in MATH. He always have a short-cut for many toughie math probs.
5: I took E-gmat verbal course and its really good for improving your basics if you are lazy like me to read through Manhattan books. Videos generally make my life easier, I learn a lot better that way.
6: Never ignore time management-- Always do the questions you feel confident about and skip whenever required. Helps a lot to save time for the questions you might be confident about.
7: RC- I was initially bad at it too. Practice, practice and practice my friend makes you perfect in RC. Trust me after a while you would understand the patterns the more you practice. For RC stick with official and GMAT prep questions. Try finding out what is the best strategy for you. I like scribbling in my notes, even though I know I don't refer back to them :P. Helps me remember.
8: CR is very interesting one for me. I was good at it sometimes, scoring 80 percent of them accurately. But in my first attempt got only 20 percent of them accurate, not what I wished for :( . Then I realized I wasn't consistent in my method. I tried pre- thinking every time I see a question trying to frame possible answers for it in my mind and choose the correct options, this helped me.

Hope this helps a bit :)

I came a long way from 500 on my first mock to 680 in my last online exam - I still gotta reach 700+and these are the few things I am currently doing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Q49 V23 I need help in verbal section [#permalink]
Thank you for your in-depth answer my friend. Good luck on your prep :)

manvig wrote:
Hi,
I was in your situation scoring around 700+ in few exams and below it in others
But consistency is the key, don't give up and get demotivated because it takes lot of time and effort from your part.

1: Since you are already done with GMAT official prep I would suggest you to utilize GMAT club for solving GMAT prep questions. ( Filter GMAT prep Questions and try solve as many as possible). This helped me get into GMAT exam mindset.
2 : Try Answering daily project SC, CR, RC butler questions. Few of them might be simple and few of them tough but the key here is concepts I really loved few detail explanations by they are very useful concepts to eliminate the answers for the right reasons.
Try posting explanations for each questions in this set. I agree, initially it might feel like a bit time-consuming but trust me it gives you confidence to eliminate each choice. The more you start typing the more you feel confident.
3: Obvio, if you are an active member in GMAT CLUB you might already have an idea about. He is true verbal ninja. His videos, and explanations for all official questions are great and entertaining too :).
4: Get insights from @bunel for your weak areas in MATH. He always have a short-cut for many toughie math probs.
5: I took E-gmat verbal course and its really good for improving your basics if you are lazy like me to read through Manhattan books. Videos generally make my life easier, I learn a lot better that way.
6: Never ignore time management-- Always do the questions you feel confident about and skip whenever required. Helps a lot to save time for the questions you might be confident about.
7: RC- I was initially bad at it too. Practice, practice and practice my friend makes you perfect in RC. Trust me after a while you would understand the patterns the more you practice. For RC stick with official and GMAT prep questions. Try finding out what is the best strategy for you. I like scribbling in my notes, even though I know I don't refer back to them :P. Helps me remember.
8: CR is very interesting one for me. I was good at it sometimes, scoring 80 percent of them accurately. But in my first attempt got only 20 percent of them accurate, not what I wished for :( . Then I realized I wasn't consistent in my method. I tried pre- thinking every time I see a question trying to frame possible answers for it in my mind and choose the correct options, this helped me.

Hope this helps a bit :)

I came a long way from 500 on my first mock to 680 in my last online exam - I still gotta reach 700+and these are the few things I am currently doing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you gmatgames. I'm considering about taking gmatwhiz course.

gmatgames wrote:
you should try Egmat or gmatwhiz for verbal.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you VoltAmpere. I will watch more videos from GMATNinja

VoltAmpere wrote:
Hi, you may start by assessing your error log and focus on the areas that need improvement.

For CR, Powerscore CR is highly recommended.

You must also check the posts of for verbal strategies.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Egshig13,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you mentioned?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you. Before you can include attachments with your posts/PMs, you need to have at least 5 posts in the forums (right now, you have just 4 posts). If you post just once more, then you should be able to attach your ESR (and you can feel free to PM it to me directly if you would rather not post it publicly).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1024 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Kudos
Egshig13 wrote:
Dear gmatclubbers,

I took the test this morning and got Q49 V23 (590) :cry: . When I was doing the test RC was the hardest part, I didn't even understand one whole passage and guessed 4 RC questions during the mid section of the verbal. I'm planning to retake the test in 3 months (dedicate that time to verbal preparation). :please:

I have started preparing for the exam from May 2020 (Quant prep from May to August & Verbal prep from August to October). I was taking from V22 to V38 on my official mock exams.

My Mock tests were the following:
GMATPrep 1 /Jul 25 2020/ = Q50 V23 --> 610
GMATPrep 1 retake /Sep 09 2020/ = Q51 V38 --> 740
GMATPrep 2 /Sep 18 2020/ = Q48 V22 --> 590
GMATPrep 3 /Sep 20 2020/ = Q51 V37 --> 730
GMATPrep 4 /Sep 26 2020/ = Q50 V30 --> 660
GMATPrep 3 retake /Oct 04 2020/ = Q50 V29 --> 660
GMATPrep 2 retake /Oct 11 2020/ = Q50 V38 -->720
GMATPrep 5 /Oct 15 2020/ = Q49 V25 --> 620
GMATPrep 6 /Oct 16 2020/ = Q49 V31 --> 670

I have prepared my SC from Manhattan SC (finished the book twice) and took OG practice tests.
For CR also prepared from Manhattan CR and did around 80 OG problems.
For RC also prepared from Manhattan RC and did around 20 passages from OG.

I think my approach to Verbal preparation is not working well. I need verbal preparation plan for the next following 3 months. Please give me your valuable advice :please:

Dear Egshig13 ,

As per your GMAT Mocks score, Quant score was always consistent i.e. between Q48-Q50 Always. But your verbal score varies a lot between V23-v38 which is not consistent at all. In the last 2 tests, your score decreased by 13 Points & 7 Points.

Also, Your GMAT Score 590 (Q49 & V23) also follows the same trend.

Your Quant score is good enough. Just Practice 600,700 levels of Questions daily. Don't go with the basics again.
In Verbal, Check your ESR report & in which your performance was very bad/weakest (either RC,CR or SC) try that section first. Go with basics (if possible take prep class of EGMAT or Crackverbal). then go with practice solving medium to hard level questions. When your accuracy is around 75%, then only try the Mock tests.

Regards,
Rajat Chopra
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Q49 V23 I need help in verbal section [#permalink]
Thank you Rajat :) . I will follow your advice accordingly. For the course I'm deciding between gmatwhiz and crackverbal

rajatchopra1994 wrote:

Dear Egshig13,

As per your GMAT Mocks score, Quant score was always consistent i.e. between Q48-Q50 Always. But your verbal score varies a lot between V23-v38 which is not consistent at all. In the last 2 tests, your score decreased by 13 Points & 7 Points.

Also, Your GMAT Score 590 (Q49 & V23) also follows the same trend.

Your Quant score is good enough. Just Practice 600,700 levels of Questions daily. Don't go with the basics again.
In Verbal, Check your ESR report & in which your performance was very bad/weakest (either RC,CR or SC) try that section first. Go with basics (if possible take prep class of EGMAT or Crackverbal). then go with practice solving medium to hard level questions. When your accuracy is around 75%, then only try the Mock tests.

Regards,
Rajat Chopra
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you Rich :) . I still haven't received my ESR yet.

1. I have consistently studied 30 hours per week. Weekends (16 hours) Weekdays (15 hours).
2. I have watched Ron Purewal's SC videos.
3. My goal is 730 :blushing:
4. My initial plan was to apply for Round 2. However, since I have to retake the exam I am considering round 3 now. The funny thing is I already have a MBA from a US university. Thus, I'm only considering to apply to tier 1 schools (some of the schools doesn't consider second MBA applicants).

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Egshig13,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you mentioned?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you. Before you can include attachments with your posts/PMs, you need to have at least 5 posts in the forums (right now, you have just 4 posts). If you post just once more, then you should be able to attach your ESR (and you can feel free to PM it to me directly if you would rather not post it publicly).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Egshig13 wrote:

Hi! Curious to know if you received your ESR yet?

Would be interesting to see. Though with a V23, I suspect none of the three sections would present a cause of celebration.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
crackverbal or gmatwhiz ? Which is better. Really struggling in verbal section

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kaze13.

As you suggested, it's likely that the key thing for you to do in order to increase your verbal score is to improve the way you're preparing for verbal.

To improve your approach to preparing for verbal, you could check out these two posts, which discuss in detail various key aspects of how to prepare for GMAT verbal.

How to Score High on GMAT Verbal

Three Key Practice Tips for Mastering GMAT Verbal
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Hi!
Guess we can provide some deets here! :)
We are sure you have given the test and have plunged in on the road ahead by now.:)
However this is for anyone who has a similar doubts on the product and services we provide and how we can help you out!

Crackverbal Online course is curated and designed to help students learn at their own pace in the most optimized and effective way.
With the launch of our new product, all you have to do is login, declare your GMAT dead line and follow the study plan!
Invest your precious time in "thinking through" the problems and not "planning the entire process".
We provide three specific products each for a certain kind of student requirement.

1. On-Demand :
(a)You are provided with a study plan(based on your deadline) and Course videos cover the concepts according to the study plan.

(b)You also have OG Tests(the complete OG broken down into section tests and that too with levels of difficulty). Not only that,we also
provide you the video solutions of these OG Test Questions.
Our brain functions quite differently under the stress of a timer and when it knows that the performance would provide a metric of
measuring progress and GMAT readiness. So keeping that in mind, we have added the OG questions as tests for YOU.

(c)If you have exhausted the OG, you would want additional practice and we have a set of 600+ questions for you to practice
additionally(with solutions). These tests are divided sectionally for both Verbal & Quant and with varying levels of difficulty.

(d)You also get to experience Prepathon-a 60 min session with questions that challenge you and assess your prep every week.Its a
point of live interaction with the faculty and all like minded students who are preparing it.

(e) You can also connect with the faculties one to one by booking a meet through calendly at a time thats convenient to you!We do
not believe in isolated practice. So even when you opt for an OnDemand course we would provide you with the additional sessions
for live interaction with the faculty and the rest of the people like you!

(f) Since we perform best in an undistracted atmosphere we would push you to attend the Deep work sessions
and have an immersive experience of working with us as you develop your cognitive abilities.

(g) AMA sessions where you can pitch in your study issues,prep issues and infact ask anything to the faculty is designed to keep your
prep doubt free and smooth.

2. Live@Home:
The Weekend sessions are direct points of contact where you learn the course,acquire GMAT essential concept and Application
understanding on the weekends with the faculty and other students. They are high Octane sessions of learning on real time with the
faculty and asking doubts then and there.The sessions are curated to transmit the GMAT centric knowledge in a simple and effective
manner to help you walk through the Optimized Learning Pathway(OLP). You get to access the session recordings after the session
for a 7 day period.
Alongside,you also get to experience all other facilities listed for the On Demand Course.

3. ScoreUp:
The third and the most premium product is the ScoreUp where you sign up for a one to one guided assistance with the mentor.
It is designed to handhold you at your pace. You would also receive the session recordings and the Practice Tests as a part of the
Product. The faculty would guide you one to one,close your concept gaps,close on the strategic application gaps and all along answer
your doubts as you experience them.

The CrackVerbal GMAT online course is created based on our experience of teaching more than thousands of classroom students and it's designed to help the busy working professionals crack the GMAT in their first attempt.
The CrackVerbal GMAT online course combines technology with high human interaction to maximize your results.
CrackVerbal GMAT online course is the only course that provides you with a Personal GMAT counselor to track your progress & guide you from the time you start your GMAT preparation till the time you take your GMAT test.

Coming down to results, please scroll down and our numbers would give you a fair idea of our performance.
Our priority at Crackverbal is great Customer Experience and students breaching the targeted 700+ score!
We would recommend you to sign up for our free GMAT online trial course and see if you like how the concepts are being explained in the course.
Attachments

image (4).png
image (4).png [ 47.5 KiB | Viewed 1940 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts