Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [12]
Given Kudos: 52
Schools: HEC LSE MFin "22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.72
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
The existence of mammals on the earth can be traced back to at [#permalink]
Tiansu wrote:
Is there any explanation about question 5?
"(5) Among the following statements, which statement, if true, would weaken the argument put forth in the first sentence of Paragraph 1?"
the first sentence of Paragraph 1 is "The existence of mammals on the earth can be traced back to at least the Triassic time. " the answers make little sense for me.

Same here...Sajjad1994 please help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: The existence of mammals on the earth can be traced back to at [#permalink]
"(5) Among the following statements, which statement, if true, would weaken the argument put forth in the first sentence of Paragraph 1?

A. It has been found that the tyrannosaur had a larger brain, than was previously known.
B. Within the next thousand years, mammals will become extinct.
C. Recently certain forms of flying ichthyosaurs have been discovered.
D. It has now been proved, that the tiger is more powerful than the carnivorous reptiles.
E. It is now possible to double human mental capacity, by the use of certain recently developed computers."

My doubt is how is the first sentence of Para 1 related to the first option? I am not able to understand how is it weakening stance of the author. Please help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
The existence of mammals on the earth can be traced back to at [#permalink]
UjjawalL wrote:
"(5) Among the following statements, which statement, if true, would weaken the argument put forth in the first sentence of Paragraph 1?

A. It has been found that the tyrannosaur had a larger brain, than was previously known.
D. It has now been proved, that the tiger is more powerful than the carnivorous reptiles.
E. It is now possible to double human mental capacity, by the use of certain recently developed computers."

My doubt is how is the first sentence of Para 1 related to the first option? I am not able to understand how is it weakening stance of the author. Please help

Tiansu, Harsh9676,UjjawalL.

Hello! I had the same issue while attempting the passage. However, later on, I realized that this is just a simple mistake in the question. Rather than the first sentence of the first paragraph, the options pertain to the first sentence of the second paragraph. And as such, you should try to look at the options with the first sentence of the second paragraph in mind. It fits there.

Sajjad1994 can you please check the question? Also, can you please post the OA and difficulty level for the first question?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
can anyone hrlp with option #6, where in passage fossils is mentioned.?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [2]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I had requested gmatgames to mention the source of the passage but get no reply, I don't know the source of the passage and cannot confirm the OA as well. This RC has somehow debatable OA. So don't bother on this RC unless we can confirm the source and OA.

Thank you

TanmayT wrote:
UjjawalL wrote:

Tiansu, Harsh9676,UjjawalL.

Hello! I had the same issue while attempting the passage. However, later on, I realized that this is just a simple mistake in the question. Rather than the first sentence of the first paragraph, the options pertain to the first sentence of the second paragraph. And as such, you should try to look at the options with the first sentence of the second paragraph in mind. It fits there.

Sajjad1994 can you please check the question? Also, can you please post the OA and difficulty level for the first question?

Thanks!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts