Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618958 [50]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31922 [5]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [5]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: If a, b, c, d, e and f are integers and (ab + cdef) < 0, then what is [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
If a, b, c, d, e and f are integers and (ab + cdef) < 0, then what is the maximum number of integers that can be negative?

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

Kudos for a correct solution.

Minimuum should be 1

Maximum should be 4:

1 out of a or b to make the multiplication negative
3 out of c, d, e or f to make the multiplication negative.

Negative+Negative<0

Answer:C
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: If a, b, c, d, e and f are integers and (ab + cdef) < 0, then what is [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
AmoyV wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If a, b, c, d, e and f are integers and (ab + cdef) < 0, then what is the maximum number of integers that can be negative?

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

Minimuum should be 1

Maximum should be 4:

1 out of a or b to make the multiplication negative
3 out of c, d, e or f to make the multiplication negative.

Negative+Negative<0

Answer:C

hi AmoyV,

maximum will be 5..
you dont require both the multiplicatin to be negative for entire equation to be negative...
any one a or b can be negative to make ab negative and it can still be more(away from 0) than the multiplication of 4 other -ve numbers...
actually by writing minimum required as 1 out of 6,you are actually meaning 5 out of 6 also possible as you will see 5 or 1 will give you same equation..
ans D

Crap. Yeah, thanks.

Funny part is I had considered this option when I read the question but messed up the execution. Made a mental note of slowing down. :D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

The number can be negative in following conditions:
1) If ab is a bigger negative number than cdef => Both a & b cannot be negative at a time.
2) If cdef is a bigger negative number than ab => All four c, d, e & f cannot be negative at a time

Let one of a & b be negative and let all 4 of c, d, e & f be negative.
So, ab will be negative and cdef will be positive but their sum will be negative.
Hence maximum 5 can be negative.
Hence option (D).

--
Optimus Prep's GMAT On Demand course for only $299 covers all verbal and quant. concepts in detail. Visit the following link to get your 7 days free trial account: https://www.optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Originally I chose E but now I changed my mind! I ignored that the sum of the numbers had to be under zero, and tried to make the number positive. Now I think the answer is D --

I put in values to try and make it work:

25 * (-1) + (-1 * -2 * -3 * -4) =
-25 + 24 = -1

That's 5 negative numbers that create a value under 1. one more value were to have been positive, the numbers summed up would not be less than 1. Silly mistake I made originally.

Note to self: READ THE QUESTION!!!
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: LBS '19 (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
For maximum number of negative values, then

ab must be negative, so either a or b can be negative, we assume a is negative

cdef should also give us a negative value and we can actually have 3 integers negative here to give us an overall negative value

so my answer is 4 for the maximum number of negative integers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
Kudos
Tmoni26 wrote:
ab must be negative, so either a or b can be negative, we assume a is negative

cdef should also give us a negative value

Hi there,

As u said, ab must be negative, does cdef have to be negative? What if |ab| > |cdef| which makes the expression negative.

So, ab->negative, -> a negative, b positive. And c,d,e,f all negative. And |ab|>|cdef| makes the whole thing negative. So, 5 can be negative. D.

~Binit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

looking at the eqn: (ab + cdef) < 0

In order for the sum of two terms to be -ve, one term has to be -ve for sure. With this mind, we can build mutliple scenarios. To restrict time take to solve this problem assume the same small integers for all unkowns.

a = -2, b= -2, c= -2, d=-2, e=-2, f= 2

-2*-2 + -2*-2*-2*2 = -12 < 0

It can have a max of 5 -ve integers. Option D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618958 [3]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:
Attachment:
abcdef_text.PNG
abcdef_text.PNG [ 17.26 KiB | Viewed 19505 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Apologies, i'm getting confused with total integers, why do you multiply the numbers? Shouldn't each of this be treated as individual numbers?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618958 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
bae wrote:
Apologies, i'm getting confused with total integers, why do you multiply the numbers? Shouldn't each of this be treated as individual numbers?

ab means a*b and cdef means c*d*e*f.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
So should the question rephrased as the products of the integers ... .

Or we can make the assumption that when we find similiar questions during the GMAT exam, we should just treat it as multiple of products?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618958 [0]
Send PM
If a, b, c, d, e and f are integers and (ab + cdef) < 0, then what is [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bae wrote:
So should the question rephrased as the products of the integers ... .

Or we can make the assumption that when we find similiar questions during the GMAT exam, we should just treat it as multiple of products?

If cdef were a 4-digit number it would have been mentioned explicitly. Without that, cdef can only be c*d*e*f since only multiplication sign (*) is usually omitted.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
If a, b, c, d, e and f are integers and (ab + cdef) < 0, then what is [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
E. 6

To achieve negative result here with maximum number of negative integers, we can't use six. An even number of negative factors yields positive. Six negative factors "eat up" all the individual terms.

Five negative factors, however, will work.

Maximize and minimize

1. Maximize the number of negative factors in (cdef): there can be three. Odd number of negative factors = negative product.

2. Maximize negative factors by two more. Make both a and b negative, but minimize their positive product's absolute value.

Make c, d, and e negative, and for ease, keep them small. Let f be the one positive number. Make it large so that |(cdef)| is > (ab).

Result is a small positive number plus a larger negative number, which yields a negative.

3. Let a, b, c, d, and e = -1
Let f = 20

(-1)(-1) + (-1)(-1)(-1)(20) =

1 + (-20) =
1 - 20 =

4. Alternatively, make all but a or b negative, and one number large because:
-- if one term in (ab) is negative, and
-- the absolute value of (ab) is greater than (cdef)
-- the result is a very small negative number (far to the right on the number line) plus a smaller positive number, such that
-- sum of terms with those properties is less than 0.

Let b, c, d, e, and f = -1
Let a = 20

(20)(-1) + (-1)(-1)(-1)(-1) =
-20 + 1 = -19

The maximum number of negative factors possible for this expression is 5

Answer D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 260
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31 (Online)
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
It's a very simple one, yet easily prone to a mistake.

The equation states that the addition if two numbers needs to be negative.
Consider cdef first. For the max negative integers, we can have 3 out of 4 to be negative.
Now going to 'ab', this can be either negative or positive for the sum to be negative. If you were to consider 'ab' to be negative, only one of a or b can be negative. However it is also possible that ab is a positive number and lesser in magnitude than cdef. In which case both a and b can be negative. Which leaves us with 2 negative integers for 'ab' and 3 for 'cdef. Hence the max negative integers is 2+3=5.

Cheers,
PV66

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Given: (ab + cdef) < 0

There are 2 Possible Scenarios:

Case 1:
1 Expression is (+)Positive and 1 Expression is (-)Negative

OR

Case 2:
BOTH Expressions are (-)Negative

Start with Case 2:

ab < 0

cdef < 0

Rule: for the Product of Factors to have a (-)Negative Result, there must be an ODD Count of (-)Negative Factors

for ab< 0 ------ we must have 1 (+)Positive Value and 1(-)Negative Value

and

for cdef < 0 ------ we can MAXIMIZE the Count of (-)Negative Values by making 3 Integers (-)Neg.

4 Negative Integers*******

Case 1: 1 Expression is (+)Positive and 1 Expression is (-)Negative

(1)we can first try to make cdef = (+)Pos. ..........and ab = (-)Neg.

Rule: for the Product of Factors to have a (+)Positive Result, there must be an EVEN Count of (-)Negative Factors

we can therefore make c - d - e - f - ALL 4 (-)Negative

and

we can make 1 of ab (+)Positive and the OTHER (-)Negative

5 Possible (-)Negative Integers****

or

(2) we can make ---> ab = (+)Pos. ----- and cdef = (-)Neg.

We can have both Integers A and B = (-)Negative Values and the Result of the Product will be (+)Positive

2 (-)Neg. Values

and

we can have 3 (-)Neg. Values in the expression ----> c*d*e*f

5 Possible (-)Negative Integer Values******

This is the MAXIMUM Possible Count of (-)Neg. Values we can have and the expression still stands TRUE.

If All 6 Values were Negative then:

a * b = (-) * (-) = +Positive Value

c*d*e*f = (-) * (-) * (-) * (-) = + Positive Value

the Expression would NOT hold True

MAXIMUM (-)Negative Integers = 5

-D-
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts