Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [5]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 297
Send PM
Societies should take actions to provide for the welfare of their leas [#permalink]
Kudos
I think it's C. The boldface is essentially a conclusion or mma recommendation. The rest 0f the arguments talks about what would happen if society failed to follow the prescribed method. This is perfectly captured in C.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by SPatel1992 on 30 Mar 2019, 21:33.
Last edited by SPatel1992 on 01 Apr 2019, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Re: Societies should take actions to provide for the welfare of their leas [#permalink]
Bookmarks
aragonn wrote:
Societies should take actions to provide for the welfare of their least privileged members. A society that fails to provide assistance to those without the means to provide a satisfactory standard of living for themselves places itself at risk. Individuals who cannot achieve self-sufficiency will feel that they have nothing to lose, and they may turn against the institutions that they feel abandoned them, resorting to violent crime or other antisocial behavior. If this segment of society reaches a critical mass, it could spark a full-scale revolution that threatens the integrity of the society.

The bolded phrase in the argument above serves which of the following functions?

A. It states a generally acknowledged truth upon which the validity of the conclusion depends.
B. It provides a specific example illustrating a general principle presented elsewhere in the argument.
C. It states a general principle derived from an analysis of the consequences of a failure to act in a prescribed manner.
D. It states a conclusion derived from a comparison of the consequences of two alternative courses of action.
E. It points out a flaw in a conclusion presented elsewhere in the argument.

The given-boldface is the main intent of the author behind writing this passage.
    Societies should take actions to provide for the welfare of their least privileged members. - This is the message, which the author wants to convey to the reader.

Answer choice analysis between C and D:
    C. It states a general principle is DERIVED from an analysis of the consequences of a failure to act in a prescribed manner.
      The recommended action is DERIVED from the analysis. - The message, which the author wants to convey to the reader.

D. It states a conclusion derived from a comparison of the consequences of TWO alternative courses of action.
      D is wrong because of the usage of the term 'TWO' alternative courses of action.
      There is only ONE course of action. Failing which would lead to the adversaries.

TakeAway:
    The correct answer MUST be correct in its ENTIRETY- 100% correct
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Societies should take actions to provide for the welfare of their leas [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts