Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [70]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32872 [6]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: BEGINNER TO ADVANCED- Strategy that worked V31 to V38 to V40 [#permalink]
What if I used all 6 GMAC Prep tests and reviewed them. What other practice tests should I take now to gauge my performance?

Great post thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
YazedMA you can try Manhattanprep CATs. While their Quant is quite hard, Verbal is realistic and comparable to a real thing. Tests from Veritas might be another good option. Good luck.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi YazedMA,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, but retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are). Thankfully, the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion).

That having been said, it's important to remember that each CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) What is your overall goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hi mykrasovski - thank you for the piece of advice. Unfortunately, I used all 6 Manhattan Prep tests. My next option may be Veritas or GMAT club CATs.

Hi Rich- thank you very much for your detailed answer. Here is my story.

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?

I have been studying GMAT over a year from August 2018 until now and I have been struggling with GMAT. It has been really tough since I have been stuck at 470 for a long time.
I typically study about 15 hours a week.

2) What study materials have you used so far?

I used all Manhattan 10 books and e-gmat for SC and RC. I am currently using powerscore for CR and may buy powerscore for RC.

3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

I took all 6 Manhattan prep tests twice (12 in total) and I took all GMAC practice tests 1 to 6. I also took the first two twice. I took the real GMAT four times so far. The list below shows my scores along with their splits.

Manhattan Prep:

CAT 5A Completed 5/5/2019 550 (Q35, V31)
CAT 4A Completed 4/14/2019 550 (Q35, V31)
CAT 3A Completed 4/7/2019 570 (Q37, V31)
CAT 2A Completed 3/10/2019 580 (Q38, V31)
CAT 1A Completed 3/4/2019 580 (Q39, V31)
CAT 6 Completed 2/17/2019 440 (Q28, V24)
CAT 5 Completed 12/23/2018 500 (Q39, V20)
CAT 4 Completed 11/11/2018 510 (Q38, V22)
CAT 3 Completed 10/28/2018 500 (Q38, V21)
CAT 2 Completed 10/7/2018 550 (Q37, V29)
CAT 1 Completed 8/19/2018 530 (Q38 ,V25)

GMAC Practice tests:

GMAC practice test 1 Completed Aug 11 2018 340 (Q25, V12)
GMAC practice test 1 Completed Jul 21 2019 480 (Q37, V20) (second time)
GMAC practice test 2 Completed Jun 07 2019 460 (Q34, V20)
GMAC practice test 2 Completed Jun 15 2019 570 (Q45, V23) (second time)
GMAC practice test 3 Completed Sep 01 2019 550 (Q40, V25)
GMAC practice test 4 Completed Sep 21 2019 490 (Q31, V26)
GMAC practice test 5 Completed Oct 05 2019 460 (Q35, V18)
GMAC practice test 6 Completed Oct 19 2019 470 (Q35, V20)

Real GMAT:

GMAT Completed Nov 11 2018 Cancelled but score was under 400
GMAT Completed Jul 03 2019 460 (Q39, V16)
GMAT Completed Jul 31 2019 470 (Q35, V20)
GMAT Completed Nov 04 2019 480 (Q37, V19)

4) What is your overall goal score?

My goal is to get at least 650.

Overall, I think I did not extract all the possible lessons from all the practice questions I solved whether I answered them correctly or not. I just noticed that I have a time management problem in the verbal section. RC consumes so much time from me during the test. I may skip one of the 4 RCs in the future and probably the third one to save some time and not to rush through the last 10 questions. I also did not take my review log seriously. I mean I typed in all the questions I was not able to answer under 2 min, but I never reviewed the log.

Rich- any help from you or the GMAT club community members will be greatly appreciated as this GMAT journey turned out harder than I expected.

Thank you,
Yazed
SVP
SVP
Send PM
YazedMA wrote:
What if I used all 6 GMAC Prep tests and reviewed them. What other practice tests should I take now to gauge my performance?

Great post thanks!

Not to publicise but I will ALWAYS suggest going for Official material.
Jamboree has converted a lot of paper based tests into digital format, the official ones. You can buy those for 29 USD.
You can definitely go for Executive assessment tests, QP and other official material available in Mba.com store.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Yazed,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

Rich
SVP
SVP
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Yazed,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes and questions.

Rich

Could you add that here? I really think it would help others who read the thread and the 7 people who have bookmarked my post
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Thank you for the help! Will try to go through it all. :thumbsup:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
danivieira wrote:
Thank you for the help! Will try to go through it all. :thumbsup:

Sure, if you need more help, my signature is here to help
:)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Those who want an RC specific strategy, try this
https://gmatclub.com/forum/conquer-gmat ... l#p2548641
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Businessconquerer

I posted a question related to Verbal review I the forum few days earlier and came across related information in your post. I had asked

"After completing OG , i am wondering whether should i opt for OG Verbal Review or should i opt for Question Pack 1 & Pack 2 and the come back to Verbal review based on time availability ?"

I see that you recommend QP to be practiced before Verbal review. Is there any specific reason for QP to be done before review ?

I am working towards V40 and input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks much
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Send PM