Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 503
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q162 V150
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Archaeologists in Michigan have excavated a Native American camp near [#permalink]
need help in eliminating C. I think its strengthening by saying that these goods were preserved and still no such goods were found. please help.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Archaeologists in Michigan have excavated a Native American camp near [#permalink]
Kudos
pk6969 wrote:
need help in eliminating C. I think its strengthening by saying that these goods were preserved and still no such goods were found. please help.

When you stuck in some option , you can go back to conclusion and relate with other premise given and check whether this options strengthens the argument even to a little bit or weakens or neutral tone.

In my first reading, I eliminated all options . Because B strengthens to some extend but not very prominently. I could share my opinion why I rejected C and how I came back to B.

Conclusion: the camp probably dates to no later than 1630. I stick to this point in my mind and give this statement utmost priority to decide the effect of options.

Let's see C
Quote:
(C) The first European trade goods to reach the area would have been considered especially valuable and preserved as much as possible from loss or destruction.

Meaning: 1st European good was preserved for as long as possible.
What this statement indicates? - there should be high chances that European product should be found even after destruction. But We are given fact, no product was found.
What does it indicates? - It indicates that first European good was never reached there. Hence clarifies our premise:why no European product was found.
But does this have affect on our conclusion?
With this information, that European product never reached there , Can you say that camps dates to no later than 1630? We are in open dicussion now: Say yes, product was destroyed and no traces were found, it means it strengthens the claim. But there is other possibility that you can not challenge , maybe product never reached there , then it has no effect on our conclusion. Or why not product could reach in 1700s and still destroyed.
The key point is : there is no informaitn that can make any affect on the conclusion.
hence rejected.

Lets see what B does
Quote:
(B) At all camps in the region that have been reliably dated to the late 1620's, remains of European trade goods have been found.

Ok, products were found in almost all sites except this camp site. What does it means? - It indicates that camp was not dated to late 1620s. It removes all possibilities of late 1630s, late 1700s etc. What does it mean , this camp could have been before late 1620s.
What I need to find: The camp probably dates to no later than 1630.
If you ask me : Was the task not done after 10 am.
If i reply you, it was done before 9am.
Do you get your answer that yes the task was not done after 10am.
Hence clearly strengthens.

This reasoning made me choose B.

Alternatively ,
My conclusion depends on some years.
Other option indicates nothing about years. Other options could be valid for any time; not just in late 1630s. So it was an indication for me too that B could be an answer. Reasoning helped me to choose B option.

I hope it helps.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:

Take a look at this post and see whether that clears it up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
VeritasKarishma Whats wrong with C? What if all European goods would have been destroyed?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
akshat3010 wrote:
VeritasKarishma Whats wrong with C? What if all European goods would have been destroyed?

We are talking about trade goods of 1600s. "Careful preservation" does not imply that had they been there, we would have found them. Whether you are careful with the goods or not, while talking about centuries, it wouldn't make much difference. Perhaps they disintegrated over the years.
But (B) clearly states that at all camp sites after 1620s, the goods have been found. It means they don't deteriorate and last long enough to be found. Hence if this camp site did have them, it is likely that at least some goods would have been found.
Hence, (B) makes much more sense than (C).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Archaeologists in Michigan have excavated a Native American camp near [#permalink]
Understanding the argument -
The conclusion is The camp is probably dated no later than 1630. Meaning it no way belongs to a date after 1630. What will support it? If we know that after 1630 sites have 100% evidence of something that this site is missing.

Option Elimination -

(A) Due to trade among Native Americans, some European trade goods would have reached the area before the European traders themselves did. We know that traders were active in the 1620s. Let's say the good reached this site before 1620. Then what? Are we 100% sure that those goods could have survived and were not further exchanged for something else? Moreover, the author could have said that the site dates no later than the early 1620s. Yes, I agree this doesn't weaken. But at the same time, it doesn't provide a solid reason as well to say with 100% confidence that this site has to be before the 1630s. This is classic distortion.

(B) At all camps in the region that have been reliably dated to the late 1620's, remains of European trade goods have been found. - See "all." So it means that definitely, had this been after 1630, we should have gotten some European trade goods. So it is before 1930. It may be 1620 or 1625 or before, but definitely not after 1630. ok.

(C) The first European trade goods to reach the area would have been considered especially valuable and preserved as much as possible from loss or destruction. - Another classic distortion. Does it even address the dating aspect of the argument? No.

(D) The first European traders in the area followed soon after the first European explorers. - Out of scope.

(E) The site is that of a temporary camp that would have been used seasonally for a few years and then abandoned. - it doesn't help explain the dating aspect. Distortion.
GMAT Club Bot
Archaeologists in Michigan have excavated a Native American camp near [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts