Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618955 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Re: A wall clock gains 2 mins in 12 hrs, while a table clock [#permalink]
jlgdr wrote:
gauravnagpal wrote:
A wall clock gains 2 mins in 12 hrs, while a table clock loses 2 mins in 36 hrs; both are set right at noon on Tuesday. The correct time when they both show the same time next would be

A. 12.30 night
B. 12 noon
C. 1.30 night
D. 12 night

This question has already been discussed no conclusive answer as yet ....
I tried this way but I got stuck ..
since in one minute clock cover = 360/60 = 6 degrees
degree gained by clock in 12 hours = 2 min = 2*6 = 12
simlarly degrees lost by the other clock = 12 degrees
hence after 24 hours ....difference in time .. 8 min = 8*6 = 48 degreses

distance between two hands = 360- 48 = 312 degrees .. ...

time when this distance will be 0 = 312/ 24 = 12 ( complete cycle of watch) i.e it will take complete 12 days to time to be same and hence the time will be 12 noon....

kindly see if this is the correct ...

Source of question : GMAT club ....

Oa - Sorry was not mentioned
regards

This problem tests the concept of relative rates

We have that a wall clack gains 2 min every 12 hours
Another one loses two minutes every 36 hours

First we need to get the rates to be equivalent so multiplying the first by three we get 6 min every 36 hours

Now, if they move 8 min apart in 36 hours, how much will it take them to show the same time. Well one has to imagine that one of the needles is fixed and the other will move 8 min every 36 hours until it makes a whole turn and reaches the same point. That is the basic concept of relative rates. To do so, since it is a wall clock, we will need it to turn a distance equivalent to 12 hours. Now 12*60 = 720 minutes.

So by direct proportionality we get 720*36/8 that is the time it will take in minutes, divide by 60 to get the time in hours. One will get 54 hours

Now since its 54 hours therefore, it will show exactly the same time cause we have no remainder.

So B is our best answer here

Is this clear?

Hope it helps
Cheers!
J :)

This is the best explanation I can see around. However, I could find a small mistake in your explanation as highlighted above.

Here (720/8) *36 is already in hours so no need to divide it by 60 instead divide it by 24 so that one will get the number of days based on which one can predict the exact time. In this specific question, it is 135 days so it is clear after 135 days exactly at noon they will coincide.

Hope this helps at least a few aspirants. :thumbsup:

Best Regards,
Pradeep.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
martie11 wrote:
Thanks for the question.

A wall clock gains 2 mins in 12 hrs, while a table clock loses 2 mins in 36 hrs; both are set right at noon on Tuesday.The correct time when they both show the same time next would be
a. 12.30 night
b. 12 noon
c. 1.30 night
d. 12 night

A wall clock gains 2 minutes in 12 hours --> gains 6 mins in 36 hours;
A table clock loses 2 minutes in 36 hours;

Relative speed is 6+2=8 minutes in 36 hours (difference in 36 hours), which means that if we consider a table clock to stay still then a wall clock will move 8 minutes in 36 hours, so both to show the same time next wall clock should make 12 hours revolution (12*60=720 minutes), which it would make in 720/8 * 36 hours = 135 days.

So, the correct time when they both show the same time next would be exactly after 135 days at 12 noon.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

Hi after 135 days, wall clock will show time 9.00 PM (gain 540 minutes) and table clock will show the time 9.00 AM (lag 180 minutes). May be some other way to get the answer.

Please help if I missed something.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
A wall clock gains 2 mins in 12 hrs, while a table clock [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
martie11 wrote:
Thanks for the question.

A wall clock gains 2 mins in 12 hrs, while a table clock loses 2 mins in 36 hrs; both are set right at noon on Tuesday.The correct time when they both show the same time next would be
a. 12.30 night
b. 12 noon
c. 1.30 night
d. 12 night

A wall clock gains 2 minutes in 12 hours --> gains 6 mins in 36 hours;
A table clock loses 2 minutes in 36 hours;

Relative speed is 6+2=8 minutes in 36 hours (difference in 36 hours), which means that if we consider a table clock to stay still then a wall clock will move 8 minutes in 36 hours, so both to show the same time next wall clock should make 12 hours revolution (12*60=720 minutes), which it would make in 720/8 * 36 hours = 135 days.

So, the correct time when they both show the same time next would be exactly after 135 days at 12 noon.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel,

Would this mean that no matter what the rates are, the time when the clocks are set or the number of clocks, the time when the clocks would display the same time would be the same as the one at which they were set? I understand this should be the case, as using your approach you are essentially 'fixing' clock 2 in time.

Thanks in advance,
oe
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts