Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GPA: 3.69
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Since the 1930s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes [#permalink]
Expert Reply
omadangopal123 wrote:
I understand why B is the right answer, however i have following doubt on this option.
wouldn't the clause after comma become an independent clause when the word "wings" is repeated?
In that case shouldn't the 2 clauses either be separated by a semi colon or by a period or are connected by command followed by coordinating conjunction?

Hi omadangopal123, the portion after the comma is not an independent clause. It is (what's called) a resumptive modifier. You can do a Google search for this term, to know more about it.

The structure is:

Phrase (wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped) + Dependent clause (that the air passing over them would not become turbulent)

Grammatically, such structures function as phrases.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1731 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
Re: Since the 1930s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sentence Analysis

One ambiguity in the sentence is that it’s not clear what the modifier ‘shaped’ modifies; it can modify either ‘wings’ or ‘airplanes’. Even though I wouldn’t call this a major error in the sentence, it’s indeed a deficiency.

The second issue with the sentence is that both ‘smoothly’ and ‘perfectly’ modify ‘shaped’. It makes much more sense to say that the wings are smooth than to say that the wings are shaped smoothly.

Option Analysis

A. wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly
Incorrect. For the reasons mentioned above.

B. wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped
Correct. Many people reject this option since “wings, wings” seems unacceptably awkward. However, “wings” after comma begins a Noun+Noun modifier (or an absolute phrase). This Noun+Noun modifier modifies “wings” before the comma. The meaning communicated here is that the wings are smooth and shaped perfectly. Thus, the meaning corrects the second problem of the original sentence.

C. wings that are shaped so smooth and perfect
Incorrect. Both issues present in the original sentence are present in this option as well. This option has an additional deterministic error that the adjectives “smooth” and “perfect” are used to modify the verb-ed modifier “shaped”. We need adverbs (“smoothly” and “perfectly”) to modify a verb-ed modifier.

D. wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner
Incorrect. This option has both issues present in the original sentence.

E. wings, wings having been shaped smoothly and perfectly so
Incorrect. This option repeats the second issue of the original sentence. This option has an additional issue. “Having been shaped” is a perfect participle. Thus, it presents an action that happened earlier than another action. In this context, this means that the action of “shaping” happened before the action of “trying to build”. This is completely illogical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

please tell why option A incorrect
and why B correct
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saby1410 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

please tell why option A incorrect
and why B correct

saby1410

Option (A) says that the wings are smoothly shaped and perfectly shaped. Does that make sense? Think about it - what is a smooth shape? The surface of the wing can be smooth or rough but the shape? Even if you assume that they mean smooth edges etc, wouldn't that already be a part of "perfect shape"? Hence, (A) is not correct.

On the other hand, it makes sense that the wings are smooth and perfectly shaped to ensure that the air over them does not become turbulent. Hence (B) is correct.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
One move the GMAT will make to increase clarity in a sentence is to repeat a noun so that we know exactly what is being modified. As discussed above, "shaped" could be read as modifying airplanes or wings. Repeating the needed noun makes the meaning unambiguous. You can see the same move in this question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/proponents-o ... 17516.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V26
Send PM
One reason why A is wrong because

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings ----DC
, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.--Modifier

The Sentence structure of A is "DC,modifier" in which the long modifier "shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not become turbulent" is "trying" to modify wings. Although the usage of this modifier is ambiguous as it can modify both airplanes or wings. Now, even if we consider the modifier is modifying the closest noun i.e. wings (which is also more logical), the "DC,modifier" is not a complete sentence.

Since 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with wings, (some description about wings)..... where is the rest of the story?

In Option B, even though the noun was repeated, the sentence structure is more clear and concise. (DC,IC)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AntrikshR wrote:
Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings ----DC

Hi Antriksh, this is actually an Independent clause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V26
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
AntrikshR wrote:

Hi Antriksh, this is actually an Independent clause.

Thanks Sir. I understand it now. Somehow, when I read this sentence for the first time, it occurred to me as an incomplete thought therefore I was considering it as DC. I understand now that it's actually an IC.

Since the 1930's-----------Modifier modifying 'have tried'
aircraft manufacturers -------Noun
have tried ---------------------Verb
to build airplanes with frictionless wings ----infinitive/prepositional phrase

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over all IC as it is giving a complete thought that "since 1930s aircraft manufacturers tried to build the airplanes with friction less wings".

, shaped so smoothly and perfectly ---Ambiguous Modifier (wings/airplanes)
that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.(DC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over all a big modifier that is basically trying to modify Wings/Airplanes.

Overall structure "IC,verb-ed modifier".

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GRE 1: Q169 V157
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Would D be correct if there was no comma?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
AntrikshR wrote:
Overall structure "IC,verb-ed modifier".

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yep..that's correct; by "verb-ed modifier", I am assuming you are referring to the past participial phrase (shaped so smoothly...).
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
zerotoone wrote:
Would D be correct if there was no comma?

Not sure if you read the entire thread. Meaning-wise, the issue with option D is similar to the issue with option A: these options basically state that wings are shaped in a smooth manner.

This is not very logical. Wings can be shaped in a perfect manner, but smooth is more a characteristic of the surface (and not of the shape).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
GMATNinja
Can you please provide explanation for this question. I was confused between B and C.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM