Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Parallelismx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [1]
Send PM
Re: Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home a [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
indbos wrote:
Please explain why B and D are not parallel

Hello indbos,

Let me help you out with this one. :-)

In Choice B, the word "confined" is a verb-ed modifier. It cannot be parallel to the verb "would have allowed". There are other very blatant errors in Choice B.

The list in Choice D is no parallel because the noun "confinement" cannot be parallel to the verb "would allow".

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 395
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Re: Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home a [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
Let's first go through a bit of conceptual theory regarding the use of verb+ing words.

1. Just because an 'ing' is attached to a verb, it doesn't become a gerund. In fact, there are three forms of ing that one will come across in formal writing. The first is the present participle, (with or without a comma before). Such an "ing" word is always a modifier and never a gerund.

Here in this example, the use of allowing without a comma before modifies the motion and with a comma before 'ing' word modifies Judge Botham and his denial. In both cases, however, the present participle is a modifier.

2. To become a gerund the 'ing' word must act as a noun and will mostly be either the subject or object of a clause. If it is a subject, it will most probably start a clause or at least be a part of a noun phrase that will in sum be the subject. What is more important is that such a word or phrase will be immediately followed by a verb to corroborate that what you have before is indeed a subject. In some cases, there will be possessive adjectives before 'the' ing word or an article acting as an adjective. Since possessives and adjectives modify nouns, we can be sure that the following 'ing' word must be a gerund.
Example
Being addicted to drinks has ruined many a person. 'Being addicted' is a gerund and a noun phrase followed by its verb 'has ruined'.
Exercising is a good discipline if done regularly -- Here exercising is a gerund with its verb 'is'
An 'ing' gerund is a legal application in GMAT.
3. The third use of verb+ing is to use it as a part of a passive voice verb, considered legal in GMAT.
Example

He looked peeved when the inquiry committee was questioning him.

With this bit of theory in mind, one can find that the use of present participles is out of place in the context and hence wrong.

Now on to the official choices
Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to a hotel.

(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to
(B) that would have allowed members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of confined to
(C) under which members of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining them in
(D) that would allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than confinement in
(E) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to

First of all, let's ruthlessly reject choices A, B, and C for using the unidiomatic 'instead of'.

Between D and E, the infinitive 'to allow' pointedly indicates that the motion, yet to be approved then, had a definite purpose inherent in it, while in D 'that would allow' is more indicative than intentional. Therefore, E is the best.

Why is the use of "instead of" unidiomatic in this case ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vijaykhot wrote:
Why is the use of "instead of" unidiomatic in this case ?

Hi vijaykhot,

I'm not sure whether we can say that it is impossible to use instead of here. However, I do think it's safe to say that rather than is better than instead of in this question, because we wouldn't normally use instead of like this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Judge Bonham denied a motion to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to a hotel.

(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to not sure about this one, but I think "instead of to" is incorrectly used. You have two preposition sticked together.

(B) that would have allowed members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of confined to use of "would" is wrong. the action is already done. using "would" suggest a prediction that it might happen.

(C) under which members of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining them in use of "which" is incorrect here

(D) that would allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than confinement in use of "would" is wrong. the action is already done. using "would" suggest a prediction that it might happen.

(E) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to a clear and concise meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
VeritasKarishma Doesn't the use of infinitive in (E) result in ambiguity in the intended meaning?
(i) motion allowed members to go home
(ii) Judge rejected the motion so that jury could go home.

Please help me understand where am I going wrong!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
adityaganjoo wrote:
VeritasKarishma Doesn't the use of infinitive in (E) result in ambiguity in the intended meaning?

I can share my thoughts how I handle this question.

Quote:

(A) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of to confine them to
(B) that would have allowed members of the jury to go home at the end of each day instead of confined to
(C) under which members of the jury are allowed to go home at the end of each day instead of confining them in
(D) that would allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than confinement in
(E) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than be confined to

Instead of
ok parallel elements on both side of market: logical + grammatical
A. makes perfect grammatical but logical it is nonsensical

JB denied a motion to allow X to go home vs to confine ?
Hold on: allow vs confine
OR
go home vs confine

Here we go: so I need to make it parallel with to go home not with to allow.
A option makes ambiguity.
meaning1: correct meaning
meaning2: denied a motion to allow instead of to confine them to hotel

2nd reason:rather than vs instead of
Rather than shows preference. This expression is generally used in 'parallel' structures. e.g. - with two nouns, adjectives, adverbs, infinitives or -ing forms.
Instead of is not usually followed by an infinitive.
Instead of is only a preposition and can introduce only a phrase i.e no verb.

For B, C and D:Reject because of wrong parallel elements and wrong meaningwise

(E) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than
you can read E as:
to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day
rather than
to allow members of the jury to be confined to a hotel

meaning wise-make sense
grammatically- no wrong

hence E wins over other options

I hope it helps . Let's see what Experts have to say:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
mSKR wrote:
adityaganjoo wrote:

I can share my thoughts how I handle this question.

Quote:

Instead of
ok parallel elements on both side of market: logical + grammatical
A. makes perfect grammatical but logical it is nonsensical

JB denied a motion to allow X to go home vs to confine ?
Hold on: allow vs confine
OR
go home vs confine

Here we go: so I need to make it parallel with to go home not with to allow.
A option makes ambiguity.
meaning1: correct meaning
meaning2: denied a motion to allow instead of to confine them to hotel

2nd reason:rather than vs instead of
Rather than shows preference. This expression is generally used in 'parallel' structures. e.g. - with two nouns, adjectives, adverbs, infinitives or -ing forms.
Instead of is not usually followed by an infinitive.
Instead of is only a preposition and can introduce only a phrase i.e no verb.

For B, C and D:Reject because of wrong parallel elements and wrong meaningwise

(E) to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day rather than
you can read E as:
to allow members of the jury to go home at the end of each day
rather than
to allow members of the jury to be confined to a hotel

meaning wise-make sense
grammatically- no wrong

hence E wins over other options

I hope it helps . Let's see what Experts have to say:)

mSKR Thanks for the answer.

A few doubts in the explanation:
(i) why is 'rather than' preferred over 'instead of' in this case? I understand that 'instead of' shows substitution, while 'rather than' shows preference. Here what suits better, as the judge actually did the substitution
(ii) in (E), "to allow" is parallel to "be confined" right? I am not able grasp that! Would be great if you could explain it a bit more.
(iii) why do we necessarily have to use infinitive form after 'instead of'?

Please do let me know where am I going wrong.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
adityaganjoo wrote:
A few doubts in the explanation:
(i) why is 'rather than' preferred over 'instead of' in this case? I understand that 'instead of' shows substitution, while 'rather than' shows preference. Here what suits better, as the judge actually did the substitution
(ii) in (E), "to allow" is parallel to "be confined" right? I am not able grasp that! Would be great if you could explain it a bit more.
(iii) why do we necessarily have to use infinitive form after 'instead of'?

Please do let me know where am I going wrong.

i. Its easy to say 'instead of' shows substitution, while 'rather than' shows preference but equally hard to implement
He drinks coffee instead of tea ( it seems in general he takes coffee)
He drinks coffee rather than tea ( it seems he is in restaurant. While his friends order tea, he order coffee)

The above scenarios are easy to visualize as we are clear whether it is replacement or substitution.

CAn I reverse above scenarios?
Now for general , can i say:
He drinks coffee rather than tea( I think so , it still makes sense . Now he drinks coffee rather than tea )
Similarly If he is in restaurant, he substitute coffee with drink: He drinks coffee instead of tea.

Keypoint is : Both words( replacement /preference ) make sense. In Gmat questions, we can argue on either side unless the context is clear.
So what shall we do?

The remember below point to make a final choice:
1. grammatical: rather than is conjuction, so it can be used with adverb, nouns, adjective , words etc.
but instead of is prepotiion so it can only be used with nouns
It means we can rule out some choice on basis of grammar

Even we are left with 2 choices or more, GMAT prefers rather than as compared to instead of . It maybe possible that options with instead of may have some issue and that option maybe open to reject.
This decision depends on question to question
For this particular question, A , B and C can be rejected directly because instead of is not with noun.

ii. In E , be confined is not in parallel with to allow but it is parallel with to go
both the words that are needed to be in parallel should be of opposite meaning.
allow rather than forbid
allow rather than deny
go rather than stop
go rather than confine

iii As mentioned in i. , we need a noun after instead of ; . infinitive is not verb that is used as noun so infinitive not suitable with instead of .

I hope it clarifies your doubt.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
For native speakers and those with native-level proficiency, the answer to this question may be obvious.
For others, this question will be very hard - and not worth your time.

The tags say this is a 700-level question that dates back to the paper tests and that last appeared in OG 2016.
Something similar, so dependent on idioms, is unlikely to appear in the GMAT. But even if it did, it would be at a high difficulty level and your score will not be affected much if you got it wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 305
Send PM
Isn't "that" necessary at the beginning of the underlined part. Option choice (E) seems to imply that the Judge denied the motion SO THAT "members of the jury can go home ...",
but "members of the jury can go home ..." is part of the motion which "the Judge denied".

Have gone wrong somewhere in my reasoning?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos