Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3792 [93]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [40]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
 Q40  V35 GMAT 2: 670  Q44  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: At the beginning of the year, the city allocated $150 million to cover [#permalink]
Kudos
RaviChandra wrote:
151. At the beginning of the year, the city allocated $150 million to cover the increase in wages that it expected to approve as a result of negotiations with the municipal labor unions.
(A) increase in wages that it expected to approve as a result of negotiations
(B) increased wages it expected to approve from negotiations
(C) increasing wages expected to be approved as a result of negotiating
(D) negotiated increases in wages it expected to approve
(E) increases expected to be approved in wages from negotiating

Y is C wrong?

C changes meaning -- wages are not increasing , it is actually an instance of increase that the city is looking at.

Not sure if I conveyed it correctly --
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: At the beginning of the year, the city allocated $150 million to cover [#permalink]
A it is.

also 'increasing wages expected to be approved as a result of negotiating' conveys that the wages are definitely increasing and is wrong when used with the rest of the sentence.....'expected to be approved'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [3]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Kudos
At the beginning of the year, the city allocated $150 million to cover the increase in wages that it expected to approve as a result of negotiations with the municipal labor unions.

Hi,
My answer is A
D is out in the first glance,because it changes the meaning of sentence.Increase,Increased,Increasing,Increases. Cover the increase in wages is much clear and correct grammatically.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
(A) increase in wages that it expected to approve as a result of negotiations Correct
(B) increased wages it expected to approve from negotiations ---> misplaced modifier "it" need to use preposition "that" to justify the reason.
(C) increasing wages expected to be approved as a result of negotiating --> avoid use of ing
(D) negotiated increases in wages it expected to approve ---> a meaning changer. Negotiation is to be done with municipal labor unions
(E) increases expected to be approved in wages from negotiating--> the sentence is aqward.

Answer:- A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
+1 for A.

The extra 150 Million is to cover the increase (new - old wage) and not the increased wage (new wage). B,C are out as they seem to suggest the latter.

Also in B, "as a result of negotiating" is incorrect usage. Two parties indulge in negotiations , not negotiating.

Crick
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V30 GMAT 2: 710  Q49  V38
GPA: 2.27
WE 1: Big4 Assurance (2 years)
WE 2: Big4 M&A Advisory (2 years)
Send PM
Kudos
D is straight out;

"to approve with the municipal labor unions" does not make any sense.

C is out;

increasing wages can not be approved, only increase in wages can be.

D is out;

similar with C. increases can not be approved.

between B&A;

B is clearly wrong. first increased wages, second "approve from".

A is best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
At the beginning of the year, the city allocated $150 million to cover the increase in wages that it expected to approve as a result of negotiations with the municipal labor unions.

(D) negotiated increases in wages it expected to approve. Increase is not been negotiated
(E) increases expected to be approved in wages from negotiating. "The increases in wages"is nonsensical

Note: Original meaning: expected to cover the Increase in wages "not increased wages" . for e.g. Wage = 500$ Increase = 100$. So, as per original sentence allocation will cover $100 not $600. Thus, B , C are out
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [3]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
RaviChandra wrote:
151. At the beginning of the year, the city allocated $150 million to cover the increase in wages that it expected to approve as a result of negotiations with the municipal labor unions.

Y is C wrong?

I go with A. " Increasing wages" distorts meaning. $150 million is used to cover the increase ( just the increased amount) , not the whole " increasing wages".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
RaviChandra wrote:

Y is C wrong?

i was between a and b but unfortunately i choose "b" as it is much more concise than "a" can somebody please explain why "b" is incorrect?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos